• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Oratory, Hagley Road

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I finally got around to taking photos of The Oratory on Hagley Road (and Plough and Harrow Road).

St Philip's Grammar School dates to 1859-61

Birmingham Oratory - Hagley Road - St Philip's Grammar School by ell brown, on Flickr

The Oratory Priest's House dates to 1850-1.

Birmingham Oratory - The Oratory Priests' House, 141 Hagley Road by ell brown, on Flickr

I didn't go in - I saw that the gate was open so took this shot

Birmingham Oratory - Hagley Road - St Philip's Grammar School - corridor to the courtyard by ell brown, on Flickr

From Plough and Harrow Road

The current church dates to 1903-9

Birmingham Oratory - Plough and Harrow Road - The Oratory Priests' House and The Church of the Immaculate Conception by ell brown, on Flickr

For some of them had to be quick as the traffic would pass by there (on the Hagley Road).

The church at the back was built as a memorial for John Henry Newman (is Grade II listed).

St Philip's Grammar School and The Oratory Priest's House (where Cardinal Newman lived) are both Grade II*listed buildings.

Here's the new plaque unveiled by Pope Benedict XVI

Birmingham Oratory - Hagley Road - St Philip's Grammar School - blue plaque - Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman by ell brown, on Flickr

Opening times sign (times of services I mean)

Birmingham Oratory - Hagley Road - St Philip's Grammar School - opening times sign by ell brown, on Flickr

I'm not sure what this building on Plough and Harrow Road is but think it dates to 1909

With the latin "In Vinculo Caritatis MDCCCCIX" which translates to "In 1909 the bond of charity"

Birmingham Oratory - Plough and Harrow Road - In Vinculo Caritatis MDCCCCIX - door by ell brown, on Flickr

Ell they are great pics - I can remember being taken to Mass at the Oratory with my great-aunts when I was small and being in complete awe of the place. I went back some years later and was still struck by the atmosphere of it.
Sue

Ever since I heard about it last September, I've been meaning to come over here and take some photos.

Got photos of it after taking pics Perrot's Folly and the Waterworks Tower.

Did see the Plough and Harrow pub, but decided against taking photos of it this time.

My mother lived near the Oratory when she was a child.
My Nan used to go and watch the posh weddings there!

I have been in the Oratory only once. It is well worth a visit to see the interior. I believe there are something like 16 or more different types of marble in the decoration. Unfortunately the church is open only during the times of services

DavidGrain, don't know if you can still do it, but you used to be able to contact the Diocesan office and arrange for a viewing of the Oratory - we did this when our Australian rels were over.
Sue

I attended the Oratory infant and junior school and went to Mass every Sunday to The Oratory Church. My personal view is that it is the most Beautiful church i have ever been too. Sadly i do-not visit it very often but when i do i am always so engrossed in the Beauty of it .

My daughters went to the Oratory primary school when we lived in the area. The youngest made her first communion and confirmation there. She went on to St Philip's six form college and from there to Lady Margret Hall College, Oxford. I only ever went to the Oratory Social Club. :)

This is or was St. Philips Hall . This is where we had our First Communion Breakfast ,and where social gathering for the Church took place .

THE BUILDINGS ON THE LEFT THE PLAIN ONES WERE THE ORATORY SCHOOL THE REST WERE THE CALTHORPE EST.jpgHagley Road 1892 the plain buildings on the left of the photo form part of the Oratory school the Gothic style building Calthorpe Estate Offices

I would love to find images of the old oratory school before it was demolished. I have great memories of it. I am facinated by its history

Hi berniew
The inside of the oratory church still remains the same as it was the picture was taken the pillars are also still remain in mint condition
But some parts are starting to show the age some of the rooms inside are the main rooms
Especially the priest rooms we was there not so long ago with my old Dutch ESS,s brother funeral and an with her uncles funeral
My old dutchess used to go to that school and attend the mass,s when we lived in the area before moving to Worcestershire 15 years ago
Merry Christmas and a Happy New And healthy and prosperous new year to you and all
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Myself and most of my brothers and sister (Sloyans) attended the Oratory School off Hyde Road in Ladywood in the 1960's. Unfortunately I am really struggling to find pictures of the school. Does anyone have any pictures, or possibly attended the school in those days?. I remember Sister Vincent & Sister Anne. Mr Kelly & Mr Davies both had terms as Headmaster while I was there. Mrs Croft and Mr Goddard were the most memorable teachers I remember from the infant/junior days. If I remember correctly Mr Goddard's daughter was in our class when we took the 11-plus exam in 1966.

Fingers crossed! :)

Michael Sloyan

Hi Churchill
Just read your thread with great interest about you and your family and I think it would of great interest if you spoke to some one
Like my old dutches as she attended there and is old friends of your clann I believe she gave you and your family a mention on the old Ladywood site
Area months back I believe you may be related and did have some association with your sisters and regarding sister Vincent your sister
And my old Dutchess as a laugh about sister Vincent and her bike by the way my old Dutch ESS had a brother called martin
And her older sister is Madeline from Clarke's street I will say no more on that at the moment
I am sure if you mention there names your sisters will surely recall them with out me mentioning her surname
Incidently there is another girl whom was there friend whom she is in contact with
Look forward from hearing from you I hope if you can E,mail me that would be great as I am sure my old Dutchess will be over the moon
When I mention your family name and the school of the orratary she as often spoke about your sister from the time we got marriersodid maderlin
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Hi Michael!
I’ve only just stumbled across this site, and it seems we were classmates back in the day! I was there 1960-66, ending up in Junior 8 under the tutelage of Mr Peter Davies! You’re right about Helen Goddard being in the gang (daughter of Mr Goddard). Also right about a frustrating lack of pics from the era, either of people or buildings!
I went on to St Philip’s GS on Hagley Road, along with Kevin Quille, so pretty much lost touch with everyone as they scattered to the four winds.
I do have a few bits and pieces that might interest you, I’ll dig them out.
Best wishes,
Tim Hill

ps a few names I recall: Chris Dolan, Rob Williams, David Riley, Bernard Karpinski, Gerald Daly, George Sylvester, Kev Farrell, Sue Rodden, Marie Patterson, Peggy O’Leary, Nora Canny, Pauline McNally....

Part of the history of the Oratory....From Hansard, 6th June 1851.

Not everyone is happy, and Mr Scholefield says that Mr Spooner, in a previous debate, had stated that in the convent which was being built in Birmingham, the whole of the underground portion was laid out in cells, the superstition being that the cells were to be used for the forcible detention of some of Her Majesty's subjects...

Back