• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The old crown meet up

hi graham...hope you are well...it would be great to see you again and hopefully we will have another meet up there.....tell you what i wouldnt mind spending a night at the crown....you never know i may bump into one of the two ghosts thats reputed to roam there....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn:):)

Lyn, you said,
"i must admit i was so busy snapping away i didnt take in as much as would have liked to...".
Are you talking about the atmosphere or the beer?:D

david..i said i didnt take as much IN as would like to.....minr you i suppose that could be misconstrued as either the beer or the atmosphere....probably a bit of both actually.....lol

lyn:):):)

HELLO EVERYONE, :wave: i have just been allowed into the banter forum by jim (even though hes on holiday, thanks jim) . just wanted to say i had a great time meeting up in the old crown and have enjoyed looking at the photos. thank goodness for pat brennan saving a wonderful old pub like that and i hope it continues for a long time to come.
hope to be able to come to some of the other meet ups as you are a very friendly bunch and pleasure to meet you. :):)

ahh there you are shera...glad to have you join us...it was a pleasure to meet you too..and i would like to thank you for all the help you give us on the ancestry side of the forum....

see you soon

lyn:):):)

Shera it was lovely to meet you on Saturday.I also echo Lynn's words on the way you help on the forum. I can't wait for the next meet up.:)

top secret froth...i shall reveal all very soon...no dont even think about saying it...and if you do heres yet another:headhit::headhit::headhit:

hi ya maggie....just hatching out a plan...will post asap...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

just been goin though me pics and found a couple more will put them on...ps i was loggin off half an hour ago....:D:D

lyn

heres our lovely peter walker...and wendy...oh and derek...dont know what hes running away from....:Dand just look at that four poster

Ah ha! I think I know the location for the meet if not the date. All I can say is if I told you Lyn's plans I'd have to shoot you all!:D

Lyn thanks for the photos of better times let's hope that this was not the last time.:)

Talking of pubs I was just reading in a Flemish weekly that the oldest pub in the UK is the Eagle & Child, anno 947, not too far from Brum at Stow on the Wold. Anyone been there?
7114.jpg

Graham, I will post the site i got this from. Len. [FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]THE EAGLE AND CHILD
Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire
Part of The Royalist Hotel, which claims to be the oldest hotel in the country. However, some believe that the pub’s 16 years of closure invalidate the claim. The Eagle and Child Inn's name derives from Sir John Stanley in the 14th century. The inn has a tunnel that leads from the bar to the church across the street - there is also evidence of a bear pit. Still visible in the rooms are the witches' marks, an ancient frieze and the thousand-year-old timbers. Some Evidence even suggests that The Royalist began as part of a Saxon community as long ago as 514.
[/FONT]

hi graham..thanks for that info about the eagle and child....most interesting....no it wont be the last time rest assured....watch this space.....

ohh david i didnt know you cared....:P:P:P

ok i am now going to start a new thread with an idea for our next meet up....

david..you get no extra brownie points for that guess...:P

now if you please get back on the correct thread....:headhit::headhit::headhit:

lyn:)

ive just read on another thread that anthony hickey the landlord of the old crown passed away about 3 weeks ago at the age of 48....for those of you who attended the crown meet up you will well remember him as such a cheerful person who had no hesitation in very kindly giving us a guided tour of the upstairs rooms of the crown and spending time with us...may i offer my sincere condolences to anthonys family...

r.i.p anthony

Lyn that is such terrible news. I saw Sylvia's post but was unsure if it was the same lovely man who showed us around The Old Crown. My deepest sympathy to his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
morning wend...yes its very sad isnt it i spent some time out the back talking to anthony about how he should replant the flowers....i posted on this thread but it didnt come up on the main page so ive started a condolence thread too....it may just be a problem my end....

lyn

Back