• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ice Cream Man

• Thread starter Thread starter Frantic
  • Start date Start date
We lived on a large council estate in Erdington where quite a few different ice-cream vans would visit.

Mr Whippy was a regular, as was another van done out in the Fireball XL5 theme. One chap called Stan Pitt and his wife Valorie was one of my dads workmates. He was a plaster who developed some health problems so came out of the building trade and bought an ice-cream van. Him and his wife were really lovely people. I always ended up with an extra-large ice-cream off him.

Walls had a fleet of ice-cream vans too. They were small, based on the Ford Thames Anglia where the driver got out to get in the back. They had just the fridge, no whippy machine so it was all wafers, ice-lolly’s and choc-ices etc.

Thinking about this now, there were other ice-cream vans who only sold block ice-cream. It was quite a skill slicing it with a knife and plastering it onto the cone.

That strawberry juice was to die for.

We lived on a large council estate in Erdington where quite a few different ice-cream vans would visit.

Mr Whippy was a regular, as was another van done out in the Fireball XL5 theme. One chap called Stan Pitt and his wife Valorie was one of my dads workmates. He was a plaster who developed some health problems so came out of the building trade and bought an ice-cream van. Him and his wife were really lovely people. I always ended up with an extra-large ice-cream off him.

Walls had a fleet of ice-cream vans too. They were small, based on the Ford Thames Anglia where the driver got out to get in the back. They had just the fridge, no whippy machine so it was all wafers, ice-lolly’s and choc-ices etc.

Thinking about this now, there were other ice-cream vans who only sold block ice-cream. It was quite a skill slicing it with a knife and plastering it onto the cone.

and chopped nuts on top as well:yum

Mort, it seemed as long as it was cold and sweet, it was all good! And yesterday strawberry was/is always great!

Our neighbour ran an ice cream van in summer and , using the same van, was a chimney sweep in the other months of the yearl He used to store massive bags of vermicelli chocolate sprinkles in his front room. We kids used to grab ourselves a handful whenever we felt like it. But never bought an ice cream from him !

and chopped nuts on top as well:yum
I wish i was a spaceman ( great tune) . Yes i remember the Anglia van to small as you said just sold wafers and ice lols. Could not do the chopped nuts now as people with nut allergies. Just glad iam not allergic to ice cream strawberry sauce . Yes even the cones were oblong shape to fit the ice cream . This has jogged the old grey matter.

Back