• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Custard House

Blue Grass

proper brummie kid
I wonder how many couples met at the Friday night dance at this pub. It was once really popular and was a decent alternative to a night in town. I was there one night when someone tied to ride a motor bike up the stairs. Happy days!

The Custard House used to be my 2nd local, my 1st being the Coach and horses by the police station.

The Custard House

Attachments

• Small Heath Blake Lane The Custard House.jpg
    Small Heath Blake Lane The Custard House.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 13
great picture i used to go there friday nights to the dances also used to fish for them used to get the coaches on a sunday mornings for the fishing matches.many times ive waited for the coaches hung over oh happy days.:)

I lived nowhere near The Custard House, but dog shows were held there in the '60s and no doubt before. Lots of pubs did the same quite often in the evening as the entries were miniscular compared to to todays'.
Ted

My mate from school (Bordesley Green Tech) used to play the piano there just over 40 years ago to get a bit of pocket money. He lived in Churchill Road, the other side of Bordesley Green Road from Blake Lane. Another school friend lived just down from pub, his father was a doctor.

I use to do Disco in the custard house 70s, touch of class was our name.
the iron staircase at the back was our entrance to get the gear up stairs, some good nights was had. the worst was them stairs... Bill..

hi bill i remember them steps i used to help Norman(big n disco)we done a few dates there.hope you are well bill.

hi bill i remember them steps i used to help Norman(big n disco)we done a few dates there.hope you are well bill.

Hi Roger yes I remember him, in fact one gig we was booked so we thought at the custard house set the gear up and Big norm came in with his gear, I remember saying its us tonight and he said dont think so we looked at the book to find out we was down the next pub........Happy Days... Bill.

hi bill his son now does the discos for him.he sometimes goes and watches but ends up on the mike old dj never die.see you soon.

Hope that Dave B sees this! He sent me an IM but as he is only a guest at the moment it seems I can't reply to him other than via this thread.
Dave, send me your email address via another IM, or you can join the Forum and we can communicate that way.:)

I was born opposite the custard house in 1955, david handy,son of harold handy at no. 50 blake lane.anybody remember my dad, a regular at the custard house.

I use to do Disco in the custard house 70s, touch of class was our name.
the iron staircase at the back was our entrance to get the gear up stairs, some good nights was had. the worst was them stairs... Bill..
Bill, do you recall a woman who worked there, Helen Clarkson?

What years did you do the disco. I remember those stairs at the end of the bar. Was the bowling green still there or was it car park at the back? I used to go there 1979 to around 1981.

Back