• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Clock Tavern, Ashted Row

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
W

Wendy

Ashted Row Pub

I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of the pub that was on the corner of Ashted Row. We are not sure of the name of the road it was on the corner of, it was the opposite end from the town. The pub was opposite the bus stop. The era would have been 1940's/50's my husbands uncle used to sing in this pub. He was known as big Bill Bailey and he was a gentle giant who was in the guards. My mother in law told me Bill was often called on if there was trouble in the street. He also apparently stopped a man from beating his wife. He told him if he did it again he would do it to him. This was said in a room full of people in the pub! He also had a son named Bill who was the immage of his Dad.

Hi Wendy,in 1949 there's three to choose from,

Dog & Partridge... Windsor Street
Ashted Tavern .....Henry Street
Black Horse ......Woodcock Street
these appear to be on road junctions

There's also Clock Tavern and Ashted Social Club,plenty of choice there for a drink

Colin

Thank you all for your replies. Michael is almost sure it was the Clock Tavern. Thanks Colin.

In Carl Chinns BRUMMAGEM issue No 37 and 41 their is a photo and stories about the Clock Tavern
The pub was situated next to a cafe at the bottom of Ashted Row with Newdegate St diagonally opposite

Cromwell you have made our day! The photo has confirmed, it was The Clock Tavern. I have rummaged through my Brummagem mags and found the articles and photo. There, in the photo is a man at the bus stop where Michael used to catch the bus home. His grandparents lived in Ashtead Row, and his aunt and two uncles lived in Henage Street. Thanks for going the extra mile, you are very kind.

My Grandparents managed the Clock Tavern during WW2.
William Joseph and Edith May Collins. Bill was killed during an air raid July 1942 while fighting a house fire. I was born in 1945 at the Clock.
Edith may Collins managed an Off Licence in Chapel St. My grandmother worked for M&B in Handsworth until 1960

Mike Young

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Mike, enjoy.:)

Sad story to start off with, but the good Folk here will soon cheer you up.:)

Hi Wendy, I can confirm that your husbands uncle Bill Bailey used the"Clock Tavern" at 115 Ashted Row which continued in to Bloombury St. My parents took over the management from Mrs Collins around 1945/6 when I was 7years old and ran it for 5years.I can remember the Bailey family,vague memory of his wife who may have worked for my Dad, would this have been Alice? Also my wife used to live in Heneage St then with her family. Happy Memories, Regards Chas.

Kermia,
I'm not sure if you read my previous post but Mrs.Collins was my Grandmother. I was born at the Clock Tavern in 1945.
Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,
This is my first time on the forum so treading carefully, within a couple of hours I have found so much information about the early days at my old school and area around the old end. I was amazed to find out that you started life at the Clock, did your parents live locally? This was the first pub for my folks one of many to follow. My Mom will be celebrating her 93rd year next week it must be something in the beer I reckon. Hope you are keeping well
Best Wishes

Chas

Chas,
Hi, I live in the USA now so it's nice to hear a bit about Birmingham.
My Mother was living at the Clock with my Gran because my father was away flying with the RAF. My Grandfather was killed earlier in the war when attempting to extinguish a fire in a house near the Clock. The time delayed fire bomp exploded and killed him. My Mother really was there to help as the Pub was a big load for a single woman. She eventually moved to an off-licence in Handsworth which she could manage on her own.
Nice to hear that your Mom is aliveand doing well, perhaps you can relate to her what we have said.
Mrs Collins passed away in 1968.
Mike

Back