• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The British Lion

• Thread starter Thread starter perrycommoner
  • Start date Start date
P

perrycommoner

Does anyone remember The British Lion in Newtown Row?
My mother Agnes (Aggie) and stepfather Bill Morris to manage the 'Lion' in the mid 50s. I was nursing at Selly Oak hospital and my brother, Paul went into the army.

That was where I met my Waterloo - or should I say my husband - Ron Eccleston. Hisfamily lived on the corner of Newtown Row and Cowper St., next to the infants school.

Ada Eccleston died just as Mom & Bill took over the pub in 1955. Ron was in the RAF at the time.

I never knew anything of the history of the pub, andI haven't seen any photo's on the web site.

TTFN Lesley

Hi Perrycommoner welcome to the Forum, my partner Ray Burbery had the barber shop next door to the British Lion from the mid 50s and stayed in the area until the 1990s. I will ask him what he remembers and let you know. I do know he didn't have a toilet in his shop and used the one at the pub. There is a photo on either this site or the sister site astonbrook-through-astonmanor, showing his shop, the pub and Newtown Garage. Perhaps one of the clever people on this site might be able to find it for you.

Thanks Sylvia. I will keep my fingers crossed.

TTFN Lesley

Lesley, a couple of weeks ago an old friend visited and showed us a book
which had the best photo of Ray's shop and the British Lion we have seen to date, we mean to get the book, it is called "Images of England Newtown and Summer Lane" by Peter Drake and Jan Glasby, published by Tempus ISBN 0-7524-4197-3

It may be one of the Forum members has this book and could post a photo for you.

Lesley and Sylvia

Here is the photo of The British Lion and the Gents Hairdressers next door, taken from Images of England - Newtown and Summer Lane, that you are talking about.

Judy

Jayell, many many thanks for posting the photo, I shall print a copy off. We still intend to get a copy of the book as it has many photos of interest.

Attachments

• Newtown British Lion Newtown Row 1959 .jpg
    Newtown British Lion Newtown Row 1959 .jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Jayell. The day my family moved into 'The Lion' brought about a change in my life which lasted for half a century.
Is that the little market that I see on the right hand edge of the picture?

TTFN Lesley

Hi Lesley

The building on the right hand side is a garage. Can just see the word NEW ... on the sign above the entrance, and it says Repairs. According to the photo it was taken on 23 July 1959. Sylvia said that it was Newtown Garage, so I should image that is right.

Judy

It was Judy my Dad lived in there (The Lion) well so my Mom said one day you might as well take your bed.:D

Lesley
I went Cowper's Street School till 1947 then Moved to The Ridgeway and went to Hawthorne Road & Hastings Road.

Jayell, one thing I can see, the right hand upstairs window was my bedroom! I don't suppose they put a blue plaque on it though;)

TTFN Lesley

Nice big window Lesley! Pity about the blue plaque though :)

Were you living there when the photo was taken or later?

Judy

Alf, Many years ago, my uncle took to dropping in to the pub (not the Lion) on his way home from work. My aunt was not one to put up with that, and eventually, she went round there and put hi dinner on the bar in front of him, saying "If you like it here so much you can have your dinner here". Very embarressing, :blush: and he never went in there again.

TTFN Lesley

It didn't stop him, when we moved to The Ridgeway he did the same at the Chase and she took his Dinner in there but it didn't stop him:)

Bill Morris, my stepfather was the manager there from 1955 to 1956, and then was tansferred to The Eagle & Ball, just past what used to be B'Ham Childrens Hospital, (can't remember the name of the road), and I got married from there. I can't recall anyone snapping the Lion.

Of course, the whole of that area has been committed to history now, mores the pity.

TTFN Lesley

Alf, I suspect that was a scene repeated many times - in many pubs - in many towns and cities!

TTFN Lesley

Hi Judy, I don't think so, because Bill Morris was my step-father and was born and spent most of his life in Christchurch Dorset.

My parents side of the family tree is Darlow and Gibbins, both from Aston and Nechells.

TTFN Lesley Gibbins

perrycommoner

Here is another photo of the British Lion with a little more detail of either side of the pub.

Phil

Attachments

• Newtown  Newtown Row Nr Milton St 1960.jpg
    Newtown Newtown Row Nr Milton St 1960.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2
Back