• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Blitz

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Thanks for posting these photos Cromwell. if as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" then these photos portray so many sights that many people have never seen
and hopefully never will see again in Britain.

As young children our parents never dwelt on what was happening around us but has observant "sponges" we developed our own ideas. Later on in our teens we watched films like "Cockleshell Heroes" "The Sea Shall Not Have Them" "In Which we Serve" "Albert RN", "The Colditz Story" "The Dam Busters" and others but it was very hard to relate to the horrors of war.

WOW!!!!! Now that is "True Brummie Grit" do we take it "It's business as usual" :2funny: :2funny:

My dad will so love that photo when I show him it - I guess not a lot will stand in the way of opening time?? :smitten:

The area around the Bull Ring was devastated, soldiers, fire wardens and police all fought the devastating blaze that gutted the Birmingham stores but St Martins stood defiant like St Paul's in London. November 19th 1940 bought us to our knees but we got through the wave after wave of bombers that kept on coming for nine agonizing hours, when the all clear sounded as the last bomber left men collapsed on the floor with sheer exhaustion but they were at their posts on the next shift, so was the courage and determination of the Brummies with thousands the next morning streaming into work past the still burning buildings and smouldering treasured memories of our past, maybe with a tear running down their face, but if there was, you bet they quickly wiped it away

The plan of civil defence proved itself to be the backbone of British resistance to air attacks. Air Raid Precautions (first roughly outlined in 1935) were taken seriously in hand after the September crisis of 1938. As soon as war threatened, air raid wardens and special police went on duty; the auxiliary firemen reported to their stations, the decontamination centres were ready in the event of a gas attack, the hospitals were cleared to receive casualties. Trenches were dug, shelters made, sandbags piled up, lights obscured, (We still had our blackout curtains up in the 50's as we were to poor to replace them) the whole face of Britain was changed overnight. Though some time elapsed before the defences were put to the trial, we were up to it when hell came in the form of the German Bombers.
Night fighters, anti-aircraft guns, astonishing secret devices, which used wireless rays to detect and record the location of approaching aircraft, ensured that the enemy could never approach unchallenged or unscathed.but a lot of this was propaganda to put us at ease  At the same time it was shown that the care devoted to the organization of the Civil Defence Forces and the great expenditure involved, were entirely justified. Amateur firemen, drawn from many different walks of life, fought the most formidable and horrendous outbreaks of fires with great courage and skill. Rescue parties behaved with just the same coolness and determination. It was shown that the demoralization of the country by bombing was impossible. The strain of action and loss of sleep was written in everyones face during the ferocious bombing attacks made on Birmingham, but something else was written there too, a realization that the enemy had done his worst, and that it could never prevail. Civil Defence became every man and woman's job. It could never be said that the job was finished though it had its lulls and pauses. Constant vigilance was the watchword of the great host of civilian defenders on the Home Front.
After the Anderson shelter came the indoor shelter which was a kind of steel mesh cage you slept in to give you some protection from falling ceilings our walls.
As the war progressed and the blitz continued it became the duty of all in every street or town to watch there own area and the fireguard were on duty round the clock
When areas were devastated teams moved in to pull walls down that were unsafe and clear the areas as quickly as possible to get things back to normal and boost moral

Now here is a photo that has not seen the light of day since 12th April  1941 during the blitz showing area looking towards Nechells but taken from where ?
Second photo is taken showing the corner of New St and High st
Last Pic.The Back Streets

Don't this photo say it all, house has just been blown to bits and this elderly lady is chuffed because she has found her alarm clock (Time changes everything) WW2 photo could have been taken yesterday
Makes ya think

Coach and Horses was in Pinfold St thanks to Sylvia Sayers Checked on my bomb map and sure enough she was right

Firemen fighting the fires during the blitz were supplied with tea by Women from Auxiliary Fire Service
here is a great pic of outside the van and inside the van

These photos paint a very grim picture that was the reality of every day life for so many people in the dark days of WW2. The people shown had their lives whereas their neighbours and families close by had lost theirs.

What were the post boxes made of? The one in photo looks like the only thing standing except for the buildings in the background and the postman is collecting the mail as if nothing has changed. Where is the milkman headed I wonder?...I expect he has delivered milk to homes that were still standing on his route and then picking his way over the rubble to get to his delivery vehicle.

Those bombed buildings remind me of houses in Summer Lane that I used to pass by on the bus into Town during and after WW2. It was so hard to make sense of it and all these years later and more war it still is hard to make sense of man's inhumanity and cruelty to his fellow man.

An example in a contemporary vein.....Beirut, which was terribly damaged in the early l980s had almost regained it's previous state and the city council had some very interesting and progressive environmental programmes in place. The sea coast, famous for being beautiful and many people were holidaying there from all over the world now has a huge oil slick along it from a bombed power plant.. High end stores were returning to the city after many years away. Now, once again many parts of the city are just piles of rubble. :'(

Cromwell, the photos you keep posting are amazing, they show the true grit of the English people.

Jenny Ann, I'm pretty sure the old post boxes were made from cast iron, that's why they could withstand the blasts.

Jennyann, Sylvia, I am trying to post photos that have not been seen before.
The two books by Alton Douglas Birmingham at War Vol 1 &2 are superb but as you might have noticed I am not using any of his pics. I have original material from 1940-43
I have some great before and after photos of the Bombed Factories in Brum and on the Railways as well as some great stories. One photo in particular bought it all home to me.
Why am I putting all this material on here ? because most of it was rotting away in a persons house and I was left it all. Most of it has to be dumped after copying as it is a health hazard, so bear with me as I try to sort it all out
Below is a cinema slide that was shown in picture houses throughout the war

Your dedication and hard work in restoring these photos and making them available for us and later generations is so very much appreciated Cromwell, that really is the essence of this site.

Sylvia the only problem I have is I guess some of them have been seen before and might be copywrited but if they are I can just delete them from the post (After you lot have copied them first if ya want to)
If anyone sees one that they have seen before,from this point, please let me know were you have seen it.
Firewatch Badge

Cromwell,
Do you know these pictures are amazing - my grandparents did tell me as a child about stuff that went on in the war etc.. and despite their active parts in whatever they did during and after these times - there were things that made them laugh!! Times must have been so tough no matter what people were doing and YES they all lost many that were close to them - but people still kept smiling and carried on!!
People were so brave and carried on regardless - my grandparents had some amusing stories to tell about before, during and after the wars - so strong weren't they?

My grandmother did tell me about certain items that survived the bombings etc.. and she would laugh about it (things like tins or peices of furniture etc.. ) - but the photo's show the reality of it all. Words couldn't explain it could they?

So glad you shared these pictures with us all - it sure is an insight as to what they all lived through - pictures are worth so many words aren't they? Thank you :)

Elizabeth, This is what makes it worthwhile, when you know that folk appreciate what you do, you just watch this space and see the pics that are coming. heartbreaking and tearjerking.
This Photo shows a family's garden were four people and the family dog were sheltering during a heavy raid a bomb landed six feet from the Anderson shelter and crushed it in the blast but all four came out alive as well as the dog

Cromwell,
I am reading most days and do really love the old pictures - I do wonder how people kept so cheerful. Like I said my grandparents remained cheerful and found the things that survived amusing to no end and so did neighbours and other family members. The picture of the pub with the "dangling" snooker table so amused me - I could imagine my grandad walking in and asking for a pint despite the mess!! People just carried on regardless didn't they?

Can I copy some of these for my scrapbook please? I am sure even my parents wouldn't remember any of this - my son's certainly wouldn't!! This really explains the wars so well.

Elizabeth copy what you want, Here is a photo that makes you think.
Note the strechers against the wall,and the gasman on the pavement who I guess has had to turn the gas off. looks like a movie set, but so real what our parents went through

Birmingham could not have coped without the Civil Defenders those brave bunch of people who not only did there own job but turned their hand to where it was needed, first aid men doing rescue work and rescue men treating casualties before first aid parties arrived. From one depot alone over one hundred services were called out, sixteen first aid parties, fifty ambulances, forty-two rescue squads, and many cars for sitting cases. During the Blitz eleven thousand wardens were on duty nearly every night.
Their mortality rate was over three times as high as that of the general population, a typical index of what the civil defence services consciously faced. Of the women in the services, their colleagues spoke enthusiastically. A rescue party leader said of the girls waiting in the ambulance stations for a call; "I used to see them just sitting there doing their nails, and I used to say to myself, you wait till the bombs fall, my girls, and you'll think very different". "And in the middle of the blitz I went in to fetch one of them, and I thought now well see, and there they all was, just sitting there doing their nails".
If Birmingham, like every other big city, needed help and reinforcement to fight the actual raids, it coped with their after-effects single-handed, disposing of its own homeless, and tackling its own repair work. The spirit of Joseph Chamberlain lived on to fight the Nazis. The city's well managed gas, electricity, transport and water undertakings, his legacies, showed themselves more than a match for the considerable damage the bombs inflicted. Once four-fifths of the city was without mains water but it was for a very short time. The great corporation housing estates, again, played a crucial part in the work of rehousing the homeless, many of whom were billeted on the city's own tenants.
But not all the homeless needed the help of the corporation estates, and some had their own ideas about how to make use of them. One wintry day on the morning after, a soldiers wife deposited four well-scrubbed children at an estates department office, which existed to arrange billeting and rehousing. She asked if the children might stay awhile as the roof of her house had collapsed, and hurried off without waiting for advice or an answer. Hours passed. At lunchtime no sign of Mother, and food was shared round by the staff. The weather got worse. At 5 p.m. still no Mother and no murmur. from the exemplary quartet. Eventually, the soldier's wife appeared, wet but in triumph. "Thank you very much, the children and me will be staying at Grannies to night and Ive found another house to go to to-morrow". "Goodnight".
Birmingham was the home of medium sized metal industries, all then adapted to war uses. Their factories and workshops were scattered among houses and behind stores higgledy-piggledy about the city. They had their A.R.P. squads, works fire brigades and later there Fire Guards. They had their share of bombs, too. Here is a plain tale of what happened to a group of such plants working in association on contracts for the Navy, Army and R.A.F. They are not typical, in that they suffered an altogether exceptional number of hits, but their story throws some light on the way other war factories in all parts of the country were dealing with the bombing problem.
One works lost most of its floor space and roof by fire, tools and jobs were transferred to other buildings. The whole of the administrative offices, office machinery and furniture was destroyed. Records had been duplicated as a precaution second-hand furniture, typewriters and adding machines were installed and the staff back to work within three days in space cleared from an allied assembly shop. Directors, executive staff, typists, office boys all sat in one large space without partition. It made-concentration harder but communication easier it saved time, and the firm later decided not to change it for the duration.
Another works was struck by high explosive bombs and the roof widely damaged. A small piece of plant was out of action for a few weeks while the roof over it was repaired its work was done elsewhere. A third works was struck by high explosive which did a good deal of local damage to the roof without interrupting production. A fire put some plant out of action and led to the adoption of a different process which turned out to be more satisfactory.
A fourth works was hit by three bombs on the same night. Production was interrupted in various sections for an average of about three weeks, some of the work being transferred elsewhere for a time. Another plant, in a large tool room, was damaged by high explosive, fire, and the water used to quench it. It was hit again next night by two bombs, which did some blast damage and started a fire. Soon afterwards two more bombs and some incendiaries again destroyed roofing and started fires. This chapter of injuries stopped half the work of the plant for some weeks. The remaining men carried on for two months under the open sky till the roof was repaired, merely covering their machines with tarpaulin when it rained, and greasing their tools to stop the rust
A few months after the last of its misadventures, the works in this group were able to lay plans for an expansion of 50 per cent, in their combined businesses.
Such was the grit and determination of the People of Brum

Amazing what you can pick up from a photograph.
I'd call it, "Lost nearly everything but we still got each other"

Emergency services desperately trying to find people in a house that got a direct hit, any hope would be if they sheltered in a corner of the cellar, if voices are heard it might take up to two days to dig them out
To the North of Birmingham it was reported that a fourteen year old lad worked through the night and next day trying to rescue his family who were buried by a direct hit on their home from a lone bomber, emergency services could not reach them in an isolated hamlet, German bombers often when chased by spitfires ditched their load of bombs anywhere to make the plane light so they could flee

Very dramatic and moving pictures Cromwell. I liked the cartoon as well. Thanks for filling in the "gaps". When the rationing was ended after WW2, it seemed that people wanted to forget the war and get on with their lives and really who could blame them, even though there were wars being fought in other areas of the world. WW2 became even more of a "distant" memory in the l960's and on....people were naturally more interested in renovating their houses, buying cars, electrical goods, going abroad for holidays and generally having a good time. The bombed building sites gradually disappeared to be replaced by new buildings and life continued on... Soldiers who had served in many different parts of the world were reluctant to speak of the dreaful things they had witnessed, some took to the bottle as well. We, who were small children during the war years and grew up in the l940's and l950's put our memories" on the back burner" and joined in Britain's post war renovation as it were.

Until I attended the l985 "Birmingham at War" event at BAGM, it was the first time that I was able to put together many pieces of information about WW2. We always used to watch the Armastice broadcast on TV each year from the Albert Hall which was very moving indeed and attend the local church parades
on November 11th. Now, there are so many "gaps" being filled in by the posting of stories and photographs in this thread reminding us of what the citizens of Birmingham endured during those awful
times and I am very grateful for that since we should never forget what happened in those years and the photos are showing why! Thanks for posting them and the stories that go with them.

Homes gone but saved by the Anderson shelter
By September 1939 one and a half million Anderson shelters had been put up in gardens. They were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measured 6ft 6in by 4ft 6in The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall. These shelters were half buried in the ground with earth heaped on top to protect them from bomb blasts. If it got a direct hit you had no chance

Just imagine if those girls had not gone into the shelter when the bombs hit!!! The house is simply a total wreck. Many people didn't have a choice since they only had an indoor shelter that they could crawl under. I don't think it would have been much good in this instance but you never know. Great photo.

Ironically when the houses opposite us got bombed, the only fatal casualties were the two people in the anderson shelter.

Back