• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tamworth Road Kingsbury Road

Just to clear up one point. The map shows Tamworth road at that point, but, going as far as Minworth, there is no further name written on the road.

This is an interesting thread.
I also remember Glenthorne house, used to to go scrumping there when it was an asylum. Have been chased off by staff and patients a few times :rolleyes:

Well looks like my post 592 was wrong. The carriage may have been coming the other way down Kingsbury road (Tamworth Road) and turning right into Glenthorne Estate ?

I suppose it depends on whether the Glenthorne estate was just the immediate area around the house or larger. To me "estate" might indicate that it comprised a larger area, in which case. looking at the c1890 map, as far as I can see the cart could have been in 4 positions, marked by different coloured arrows on the map. Possibly some local members might know if my assumption is incorrect.

map c1890 area around Glenthorne.jpg

kingsbury rd.PNG We're never going to prove this but I'm convinced now that the carriage is turning into entrance of Glenthorne estate which is still there and now the entrance to Ardenleigh Hospital

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    219.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
froth i will have a look at that in a min...i was just going to say that the cart passed a large building on his left before turning right would need to see if we can find a building on the map that fits..dont know if that may help..also can someone pinpoint on the map where the entrance is to glenthorne estate

Last edited:
They look like farm buildings to me Lyn. If I'm correct Rookery house estate ( Rookery park) is on the other side of the road

ok thanks froth..must say i am finding this very interesting...although not my neck of the woods i learn all the time...such a lot of lovely buildings gone..just to the left of glenthorne was pype hall and a MOAT.. on the ground now is the kingsbury leisure centre..must say i wouldnt be without this great map site now as you can move the blue dot to see what is there now..

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5156&lon=-1.8388&layers=6&b=1

Yes Lyn must have been a really posh area. 3 big houses within touching distance... Rookery house, Birches Green house and Glenthorne house.

i agree froth...as with my house your house is on what used to be open fields...as you say we may never know for certain where the cart was turning but it must have been very close to glenthorne estate because of where the proposed sign is pitched up and we now know that there was indeed a tamworth road...worth all the effort just to find that out..:)

Last edited:
I suppose any junction on the old Kingsbury Rd could be the site. A possiblility is the one below. A nearby Nickel Works with maybe a demand for gas, and the nearby canal able to transport coal and coke. Maybe old newspapers 1901 onwards might have a report about the public enquiry or is there an archive of public enquiries which would possibly have a site map ?
20170407_073042000_iOS.jpg

i agree froth it does..i saw those photos last night forgot to post them.. i notice that those photos come from stephen birch..i guess he could be or was something to do with birches green house..

lyn

Where my house is now. I could have walked across the field to my pub.

Attachments

• bg.PNG
    bg.PNG
    670.4 KB · Views: 18
thanks for that snippet pedro..very interesting read..froth i know what i would rather be looking at..considering the area and the house have the same name it really is a shame it was demolished they could at least preserved some of its history ..:(

lyn

I have seen a photo from the same photographer taken of the entrance to Rookery Park. The location if my memory serves me correctly as Kingsbury Rd/Tamworth Rd. I fancy that Kingsbury Rd terminated at Spring Lane where it became Tamworth Rd.

I would like to add that the picture of the old Birches Green House (taken from my bedroom window) belonged to the Darlington family, they owned the large wood mill adjacent to it and you can still (amazingly) find the family burial vault in the graveyard at St Barnabas Church. The years between the two pictures posted by Frothblower we had the Mobil Petrol Station just down from Spring Lane effectively in front of the old house and of course on the corner of Spring Lane and Kingsbury Road and next to the Mobil Station was Copsons the plumbers merchants.

Back