• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

That spot by Wyndley Pool is one of my favourites and Keith Berry took a photo there in the 1970s and commented ...
cangeese.jpg

Last edited:
Are there ANY of the OLD racing cyclist that remember racing at Sutton park? If my memory serves me Sutton park had ONE pretty stiff hill on the circuit. I did take 2nd in one race there in the early 50s. John Crump OldBrit, Parker. Colorado USA
Yes, was at one or two. I see a later correspondent has reminded me of Tommy Godwin, Bob Maitland I remember well. Do you remember we had to be off the main roads by 1000hrs

I remember going to the Pat Collins fair many times, I used to love the big dipper, it was supposed to be the biggest wooden dipper in the country.
It was later dismantled and relocated at the Battersea Funfair, I wonder if it still survives somewhere.

I think that this images is earlier, quite certain that the changing rooms were a brick/concrete structure in the early 70's. It also looks like the image had been flipped, possibly a scanned slide done back to front.

Yes it looks like the slide has been scanned the wrong way round. The pool as I remember would be on your rhs when approaching that wall!

Sutton Park 5th November 2016

Many thanks, years since I have been in the park, but I had a feeling that the last time I entered it, since 2000 it was not possible to drive across. I went in at Boldmere gate. In my youth to school at BVGS, going by bike from New Oscott, it was in at Boldmere and out at Town Gate, interesting drive particularly the sun, lunchtime yesterday at Westward Ho!, we had hail!!! Luckily it was while we were eating lunch in the Waterfront. So what was your route?
Bob Davis

Bob think it will be aways you are not able to drive across the park, Video 1 Streetly Gate to near the Jamboree Stone, 2 Fours Oak Gate to Bracebridge Pool, 3 car park near Bracebridge Pool to Hartopp Gate, pics in the area of LIttle Bracebridge Pool, then at Wyndley Pool

Bob think it will be aways you are not able to drive across the park, Video 1 Streetly Gate to near the Jamboree Stone, 2 Fours Oak Gate to Bracebridge Pool, 3 car park near Bracebridge Pool to Hartopp Gate, pics in the area of LIttle Bracebridge Pool, then at Wyndley Pool
Many thanks DaveM

Bob

IMG_1049.jpg

This picture was added to a walk by Bill Oakley in the Brecons, but it does not say where in Sutton Park it is......Evening Despatch April 1939

The first pic from long ago of horse riders on the Chester Road near the Sutton Park Banners Gate. When I was a young lad and we had to pay to go in the park and I think a park ranger lived in the house next to the gate. The second pic shows the scene today and the house is still there.
Chester-Road-Sutton-Park.jpg
BannersGateSuttonPark.jpg

Last edited:
The first pic from long ago of horse riders on the Chester Road near the Sutton Park Banners Gate. When I was a young lad and we had to pay to go in the park and I think a park ranger lived in the house next to the gate. The second pic shows the scene today and the house is still there.
View attachment 109887
View attachment 109888
Another fine pair of pictures. You are correct there was a'Parkie' lived in the gatehouse - green uniform with a peaked hat like a Birmingham tra m driver or bus inspector. They were strictly employed to ensure that'Brummies' paid and the locals got in free. We lived in a boundary road, born Sutton side moved over, but just muttered resident as we went In and watched the others have to pay. Later when I went to BVGS, I did not have to pay anyway. I know all the main gates, Boldmere, Wyndley, Town, ,Banners Gate , Streetly and Four Oaks had Parkeepers, but. There were smaller gates mainly Four Oaks and Streetly side where there was no keeper. Anyone out there got a better memory than me? One small point off topic, what a brilliant recovery system the forum is, as I lay around all day with my braced and plastered leg and thigh, I thank you all for your contributions, better than daytime TV. Four days to plaster off and airboot on ......roll on and then back to work, sorry to digress but once again thanks to you all.

Bob

Back