• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park History

  • Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
What a great piece of history. Thanks LadyP. A great example of how mills adapted over time, and could change completely for different purposes; corn milling, then button polishing (and for 50 years). The various Perry Barr mills did the same, and it’s always surprised me how different their uses could be. Thanks. Viv.
 
Not sure if I have posted this before but as John Bishop Midland C&AC also knows, we raced our bikes a lot at Sutton Park This is one in 1951 that My Dad (GodBlessHim) took with his Kodak Brownie camera, remember those? as I was passing going up the hill, also one from Midland C&AC Roll Call was taken in 1954 when I was in the RAF, not sure if I am in that one, I may be lurking at the back, waiting to pounce, great fun those races, loved the cheering crowds.
 

Attachments

  • 22228432_1164327127000655_1542386866021609239_n.jpg
    22228432_1164327127000655_1542386866021609239_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20191206_094805_2 (1).jpg
    20191206_094805_2 (1).jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 23
Not sure if I have posted this before but as John Bishop Midland C&AC also knows, we raced our bikes a lot at Sutton Park This is one in 1951 that My Dad (GodBlessHim) took with his Kodak Brownie camera, remember those? as I was passing going up the hill, also one from Midland C&AC Roll Call was taken in 1954 when I was in the RAF, not sure if I am in that one, I may be lurking at the back, waiting to pounce, great fun those races, loved the cheering crowds.
Great memories John!
 
Would this have been close to Oldmohawk’s image in post #1620 ? Or is it a reference to Baden Powell (and the Scouts jamboree held in the Park) ? Viv.

View attachment 174923
Viv, this was the cafe and boathouse built in 1939 which now houses the Miller & Carter restaurant. In his book 'The History of Boldmere', Ken Williams states that the pool could have been named after a farmer but this, I think, is only a guess. At one time the pool was known as New Forge Mill when it was being used as a spade mill. There's a house in Stonehouse Road called Spade Mill House. It didn't become part of the park until 1937 which I suppose is why the boathouse was built then.
 
Would this have been close to Oldmohawk’s image in post #1620 ? Or is it a reference to Baden Powell (and the Scouts jamboree held in the Park) ? Viv.

View attachment 174923
I remember seeing it when it was simply a cafe but it later became 'La Reserve' restaurant...
The cafe at Powells Pool in the process of construction in 1939. Viv.
index.php
 
x
Someone may remember this. Possibly around 1940s/50s (?).

Viv.
View attachment 174932
That picture reminds me of a day in the 1940s when my cousin and and I were told to go and play in Sutton park. She was 9 and I was 8 and we were given 2d each for the park entrance tickets and bus fares to journey on the 107 Midland Red bus from Perry Barr to Sutton. We spent all day roaming across the park including paddling in the stream shown in the picture. It was evening and getting dark when we got back to Perry Barr to a 'telling-off' for being late back.

Happy days ... :)
 
Last edited:
that rmeminds me of a school trip. we all had a paddle in a stream by the rd. some kid started screeming. the teacher went to see what was wrong and saw she had leeches on her. so off we all went to the first aid hut:worried:
 
Back
Top