• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park History

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Well Dennis they daint inject them or gas them in the old days and it would have wasted money to shoot them. I think that was just talk to make folk aware

Thanks for posting the photos of the Crystal Palace and the model train, Aston. Did the Crystal Palace burn down or was it demolished? I believe it was modelled on the Crystal Palace in London but in a much smaller way.

I remember going on the model railway and I believe it went into the woods behind the fairground.

The destruction of stray dogs who came into the Park made me wonder about how firm the Council were about acting on that. As you say, it could have been a deterrant to make sure that people's dogs didn't go into the Park. With the houses close by especially close to the Town Gate I expect there were many incidences of dogs going into the Park probably to chase rabbits, etc.

On This map you can see the Windley Mill, Mini Railway, & the Crystal Palace plus the Sutton Roller Coaster.
Windley Nursery now long gone even from  it new home of watford gap.

THIS IS THE 10inch Gauge Steam Loco "Nipper".
The line ran approx 1000feet Crystal Palace to Wyndley Gate & back, it first opened in1907 with a 15inch Gauge track.

Sutton park this beautiful sunny autumn morning was lovely.

We were taking a path through the woods and I remarked to my husband that we could get lost.

He was reminiscing saying that when he was a kid he could find the exact clearing where he and his friends had made a den weeks before.

Do they remove the compass from your brain as you get older.

Alberta I will go over the whole of Sutton Park in the next couple of weeks so it should be a trip of nostalgia

Alberta, thats a great pic Cromwell has posted, but in this age of vandalism,My wife and I last year walked up to Blackroot to find it dry by about 90%. We asked the Park Ranger what was going on only to be told some one had stolen the cast sluice gate, which in the pic is about between the boat house & the two Lady's in the distance.
Can you just believe it! ???
Last week someone stole the bridge timbers from over wyndley  Gate Stream leaving all the steel bolt & brackets.
Can you wonder at the Rates going up some one has to pay for other mindless act. :tickedoff:

This probably has to do with vandals selling these items for good money. Metals are fetching a good price as scrap. I think I told you about the same kinds of thefts here. One hundred brass vases from a cemetery and the aluminium stays from a moving outdoor advertising billboard. A crew of thieves dressed like workmen removed them in broad daylight along a highway also the brass vases. Fortunately, the scrap merchant wasn't having any of it and phoned the police. Good for him. They are now using plastic stays in the electric billboards.. The thing is some scrap companies are paying out for these items and they should not accept them...but sadly they do no matter how much they deny it.

It's so sad to hear about the thefts in Sutton Park. It really makes me very sad. Shall I tell you about the thieves that rolled up a ten thousand pound carpet from an exclusive flooring store and walked out with it...dressed up as workmen with badges. This is way too depressing. :'(

Aston whoever drew that used a lot of artistic licence, as no one could take you to that spot as it does not exist. I have come across quite a few drawing like that,and a lot come from British Rail

When I first came a cross it I thought it was more like the Peak National Park, May be thats what they thought Sutton Park was part of. :-\
I bet it was designed south of Watford. :2funny:

Cromwell this one take ten years earlier, Wyndley 1910 reputed to be the oldest pool in the park.It once operated two water mills.

A great Aerial photo of Sutton Park and one of the Scouts Gateways and The Queen and Prince Phillip driving through the park

Cromwell - do you mind if I send your photos to a friend who is doing a display for the Anniversary of the Jamboree at Sutton Park.
He lives in Sutton. He might have them but I would like to send them in case he doesn't. :) Mo

Thanks for posting those Jamboree photos, Cromwell. I was working for British Railways at the time of the Sutton Coldfield Jamboree..a lot of arranging by British Railways to get those Scouts out to Sutton in huge numbers from Birmingham, plus arranging side trips to Stratford on Avon, Warwick Castle, etc. I met a Rover Scout from North Carolina at the Jamboree and we wrote as pen pals for a year or more. A few years ago we made contact and he has stayed in Scouting all his life. He has been to several Jamboree's and is coming to Britain next year with his wife as a representative to celebrate the 50th anniversary. I should look out a couple of photos taken with scouts from the Faroe Islands in 1957.

Many of the American Rover Scouts had their campsites flooded by the rain storms that
plagued the Jamboree. The American scouts also took a lot of teasing because
their equipment was way above the average scouts' and also there was jealousy
because the American scouts had more money to spend and befriended a lot of the local girls.... a bit like the WW2 days when the Yank camp was at Sutton Park.

This is the last one of the Birmingham Stagecoach maps ( note the S that looks like F )

Two Post cards taken at different times showing different views from about the same angle
Little Cottage type place with smoke coming from the chimney  by the side of Bracebridge pool photo dated 1904 tables and benches outside so I guess its a tea room (or posh park keepers hut)

This is the view looking from the lake side of your pic Cromwell.
Note the boat house, the foundations are still in place today.

I used to think Bracebridge Pool was the nicest pool in the park, and my favourite bit was the path through the woods on the north side, which had wooden plank bridges over lots of little streams. Blackroot was too popular, and Longmoor, Powells and Windley were too close to the entrance gates, so my second best was Keepers, surrounded by woods.
Peter

What was the name of the pool closest to Banners Gate. I remember there was a tunnel under the road where the water flowed through to a stream on the other side. I used to take off my shoes and get into the stream and walk through the tunnel and come out on the pool side. I remember along the edge of the stream there used to be a lot of Water Cress growing and I would gather up a bunch and take it home for Water Cress Sandwiches. Yum, Yum,.

Have a nice day, and MERRY XMAS TO EVERYONE.

Wally.

Wally,  100 years ago it was called The Mill pond because it was by the side of Longmoor Mill, today its called Longmoor Pool
Two pics of Blackroot Pool (note the branch in the lake)

Wally,
you are right about the tunnel under the road,
We used to go fishing in that stream with
a hurden sack catching tiddlers,Jack Bannocks etc
all good fun

Back