• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

Great memories Paul. Which side of Birchfield Road was it? The Odeon side or the other? And I assume it was nearer the Perry Barr Station/Crown & Cushion end? If I find anything I'll put it on the "birchfield road..perrry barr" thread. Viv.

No 14 was one of the large houses between Six Ways, Aston and Chain Walk on the out of town side of the road, it was NOT Perry Barr thepostal address was, like the nearby Lozells Rd, actually Handsworth, though I gather the other side of the roads postal address was Aston. I therefore imagine that at that point Birchfield road formed the boundary between those two ancient parishes

312.jpg308.jpg311.jpg309.jpg'm not sure if there is a thread for street lighting (haven't found one) but as they are street furniture I'll post it here.
Here are a couple of pictures of an old lamp-post which is about to fall vitim to Amey.

This particular lamp is interesting because it is one of the very original Birmingham "Hatfield" lanterns dating from 1953. Quite a few canopy lamps still exist (they were installed between 1953 and 1979) but these very early ones are different as the bracket arm is a sharper angle and the canopy is kept in place by a large diameter circular ring -later versions (circa '56 onward) had a wider bracket fixed onto a revised lantern.
These "hatfield" (or Birmingham) lanterns ,along with their "Forward" columns, were made exclusively for Birmingham City Council by Revo of Tipton, Staffs
Here is a very rare example, photographed in King's Norton. (sorry poor quality mobile phone picture)

View attachment 90827View attachment 90828View attachment 90829View attachment 90830'm not sure if there is a thread for street lighting (haven't found one) but as they are street furniture I'll post it here.
Here are a couple of pictures of an old lamp-post which is about to fall vitim to Amey.

This particular lamp is interesting because it is one of the very original Birmingham "Hatfield" lanterns dating from 1953. Quite a few canopy lamps still exist (they were installed between 1953 and 1979) but these very early ones are different as the bracket arm is a sharper angle and the canopy is kept in place by a large diameter circular ring -later versions (circa '56 onward) had a wider bracket fixed onto a revised lantern.
These "hatfield" (or Birmingham) lanterns ,along with their "Forward" columns, were made exclusively for Birmingham City Council by Revo of Tipton, Staffs
Here is a very rare example, photographed in King's Norton. (sorry poor quality mobile phone picture)

Thanks for posting the photos of the Hatfields Roly. I remember these. The lamps are certainly of their time. I think I'd describe them as 'space age'. Amazed that there are subtle differences in the brackets. Think I remember them, possibly on the Castle Vale Estate, although I could be wrong. And they'd be later than these of course. Did/do they give off a yellow glow? Viv.

I've used this pic a few times on the forum mostly looking at the people, but it includes some elegant street furniture in the form of those bus shelters. I don't think I've seen similar bus shelters elsewhere in forum pics.
Colmore_Row_1930s~0.jpg

A great photo. The bus stands were truly elegant, a lovely addition to the scene along Colmore Row. I can't make out what this is attached to the lamp? Or is it attached to the lamp? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391088272.512266.jpg

I don't know where you get them from but your pictures re wonderful. What elegant almost decandant street furniture including the double lamps in the middle of the road with the fancy bollards would they be? The slates on Greys roof are all off. I wonder what happened there? I don't know what that thing on the lamp could be. Would it be for snuffing the wick?

Think it's the Bluecoat School Nico where the slates are off. Looks like demolition was imminent. Viv.

Nice picture of me on my errand bike !

Would the mystery object be to illuminate the "no entry" sign perhaps ?

I take it this is the late 30s, so do my tired old minces deceive me, or is that matronly - looking woman, nearest the camera, wearing a (GASP !), divided skirt ?

Looking at Oldmohawk's Colmore Row photo and going back to what I've read somewhere, from memory, along a large part of that stretch was the School and at the Temple Row end there was the rectory for the cathedral. The rectory also had a library which may have been in a separate building along there, not 100% sure.

I only remember the Halifax building that replaced the School. Think it's now something else. Viv.

From Viv's description the tiles are being removed from the Old School not Greys which is behind it.

Hi Maypolebaz and Bernie. Wonder if it was something like this, not the exact model of course, but it has a similar look to it. And I presume the 'arc' would, as you say, illuminate the sign below. Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391091043.177963.jpg

I think the person's arm she is holding looks like a butch woman when you blow him/her up Baz. Is that a lot of leg for the 30's? I noted the delivery boy's basket.

Those bus shelters are reminiscent of the one that used to be at the Maypole terminus.

I should've said wrap - around skirt, (not divided), FAR too much leg for those days !

I'd love to know what is on the poster that the newspaper seller has wrapped around the lamp post.

Those bus shelters are reminiscent of the one that used to be at the Maypole terminus.

I should've said wrap - around skirt, (not divided), FAR too much leg for those days !

I'd love to know what is on the poster that the newspaper seller has wrapped around the lamp post.
Could it be the 20's Baz? I can see her shoes in detail. She looks like she has got dancers legs.

Thanks for posting the photos of the Hatfields Roly. I remember these. The lamps are certainly of their time. I think I'd describe them as 'space age'. Amazed that there are subtle differences in the brackets. Think I remember them, possibly on the Castle Vale Estate, although I could be wrong. And they'd be later than these of course. Did/do they give off a yellow glow? Viv.

Yes, Castle Vale had a whole installation of them. The Main roads through (Tangmere Drive, etc) were powered by 125w Mercury vapour discharge lamps(MBF) whilst the rest were 80w MBF from new. (white light)
Originally all of the "Birmingham" or "Hatfield" lanterns (or to give them their correct classification RevoC14106) were powered by 150w tungsten lamps (Busy roads and bus routes) or by 100w tungsten for other roads. The 150w were the first to be converted to 125w MBF in the mid Sixties. The 100w ones took considerably longer to convert - by the time the council had got around to converting all tungsten lamps(over 20 years) they began to replace the whole bracket and lantern. As far as I'm aware no Hatfield or Belltop,Prefect,(fitted to swan neck brackets) have ever been fitted with High pressure sodium lamps (SON), the ones that give a golden orange glow.

Roland.

Thanks Roland. Re. the Castle Vale lamps, they'd have been c1964. Had a look on Streetview but can't see any now, they must have all been replaced over time. Well of course that was 50 years ago!

Thanks too for sorting out the Colmore Row lamp for us. Personally never seen anything like it before. Viv.

Here we have Deykin Avenue in Witton. We can see (right) there's one of those phone boxes painted partly white. Oldmohawk has posted a photo of one these great boxes before. An interesting object in itself no longer seen on our streets. And I also see we've got a lamp post outside Waverley's shop which has a name on the glass at the top of the lamp. Any ideas anyone? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391268664.531839.jpg

Here is a slightly higher resolution version of the card, but still cannot see what is written n the lamp post.

deykinavepostcard.png

Here we have Deykin Avenue in Witton. We can see (right) there's one of those phone boxes painted partly white. Oldmohawk has posted a photo of one these great boxes before. An interesting object in itself no longer seen on our streets. And I also see we've got a lamp post outside Waverley's shop which has a name on the glass at the top of the lamp. Any ideas anyone? Viv.

View attachment 90871

Does it say Police on it and does it flash if a call comes in?

The shop on the left of the photo sadly colapsed a couple? of years ago, as to the box it is either a police box or an RAC/AA box a closer scan of the box should reveal what it is

Here is a slightly higher resolution version of the card, but still cannot see what is written n the lamp post.

deykinavepostcard.png

The box, I would be pretty sure is a public telephone box: the type prior to the more (once) all red boxes with small windows.

The gas lamps are interesting: the island one and the one in the distance are the same or similar, whereas the one outside the shop of the right has a different lantern. The white strip on the lantern, if it has a legend, is not readable to me. It is reminiscent of railway lanterns but of course this does not apply here. The only suggestion I can make is that the shop nearest this lamp has the words Post Office on its window so maybe there is a connection there.

I think it say 'Post Office' on Waverley's window. So would the lamp have Post Office on it. Can't say I've ever seen a PO one. Viv.

The lamp-post out side of the shop was not a "corporation" one and was probably erected by Aston Manor UDC , hence the different column and lantern. The white strip on the lanterns glass would, more than likely, read "Deykin Avenue". Quite a few of these older lamps had the name of the road where deemed important.

(I really must get a photograph/slide scanner so I can post some of the many pictures I have - any idea where I could get one?)

As previously mentioned, Perry Barr had it's share of telephone fire points see one on the left. My friend 'Google' has told me the film 'Kate Plus Ten' is a 1938 thriller ....
OdeonPB.jpg

'Kate Plus Ten', sounds.very modern in the 1930s, as was the cinema. The Odeon's Moorish architecture is great, and presents a great backdrop to the humble pillar box in Canterbury Rd (right), as well as the thingy to the right of the lamp post (what is that?). The front of the Odeon was blown off in WW2, so maybe all the street furniture was blown away too. Sadly it now looks like this, stripped of all it's street furniture and it's interesting 1930s architectural features. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391295236.446214.jpg

The lamp-post out side of the shop was not a "corporation" one and was probably erected by Aston Manor UDC , hence the different column and lantern. The white strip on the lanterns glass would, more than likely, read "Deykin Avenue". Quite a few of these older lamps had the name of the road where deemed important.

(I really must get a photograph/slide scanner so I can post some of the many pictures I have - any idea where I could get one?)

Thanks Roland. That's very helpful. Any idea why Deykin Ave would have been considered important enough to have one of these lamps?

Not an expert on scanners etc but I think most printers these days offer a scanner. Don't know about slides though, but maybe someone can advise. if you have slides I'm sure we'd love to see them. Many thanks, Viv.

Back