• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stitchers stitchings

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
S

Stitcher

005.JPG
This is one of my early ones and is simply 5 angels.

Thank you both, it was five small individual patterns and I thought putting them onto one piece of fabric would look more impressive than five little ones spread around the house. We gave this and the following three or four to my son and his wife when they bought a house.
Graham, it is always nice to from you, hope you are o/k.

Last edited by a moderator:
004.JPG
This is another one I did a few years ago. It is about eighteen inches square.

Trevor you have such a talent the pictures are lovely. What a great idea to put the small ones together absolutley beautiful...xxx

Hello Wendy ooh, I think I have said before that I used to make a lot of my own and my wifes clothes as well as repairing clocks and watches for a hobby. Now I am older my eyesight is not good enough for the watches and there are not many wind uo clocks about these days. I have not had any interest in T.V. for quite a few years now so I took up X.stitch to occupy my time. I find it easy to follow a pattern but freehand work like oil painting has me beat. I have the software to transform a picture into a pattern and I have done a few, if I was younger I would do a few of the old Birmingham scenes.

Well you certainly have mastered the craft. I agree with you about TV sad really. We have a lovely cuckoo clock my son bought us several years ago from the Black Forest. It has stopped working but I am so apprehensive as to where to take it for repair. I must get it done it is lovely.

Trevor my dad used to repair watches after he was forced to leave his job due to ill health. You are a man of many talents, and the patience of Job.

Hello again Wendy, I am not going to sa Ooh, oh look I have said it now. About the cuckoo clock. an old frien of mine was Derrek Meeks but I believe he has gone now but the last dealings with the shop that I had was when my son bought a nice clock a few years ago. His family were running the shop and I believe they still are today. Meeks was always known to be a ggod shop the the repaire trade for all the spares when it was all clockwork or wind up movements. I would advise you to get a quote when you take it in because it may be quite expensive nowdays.
stitcher

Hello Jean, I think it all stems back to my childhood when dad used to make most of our toys, cut our hair and repair our boots for school. I can not get a grip on this throw away culture. When I had a few friends in the Jewellery Quarter one of them let me sit by him in the workshop and he instructed me on how to make a silver ring with a nice blue saphire set in it. My wife still has that, then he allowed me to make my wifes wedding ring and when it was done he got it hall-marked then let me have for free as a present. What I find worrying is the fact that as these nice helpful people die, they are not being replaced because most people growing up now are of a different attitude . Still not to worry, I will carry on gardening and sewing for as long as I can.

Trevor the trend for the younger folk today is to go round charity shops for their clothes. We buy old jewelry to break down and remake and Pete is enjoying doing it to pass the time. Miriam gave us some lovely pearls to break down that belonged to her mother and he made them into a memory bracelet and ear rings.

002.JPG

This one is about three and a half feet X two feet and my son Has it opposite his front door in the hall. Although it is a large one it was relatively quick and easy to do because the background is not stitched, whereas some I will post later are completley covered with stitches.

I love the photo of the dog in cross-stitch.. (They are all lovely though).
I used to do half -cross stitch with tapestry wool but it doesn't give such detail. My favourite is one I did of my labrador.

Hello rosie, I understand what you are saying about the detail with half stitch but of course with X.stitch it is possible to get very fine detail depending on what stitches you use, i/e half stitch like a triangle or portrait and landscape. either of these three take two to fill a square the same size as a normal stitch. I did make a patern from a photo of my old white boxer dog which I will post when I get to it.

Your stitchings are beautiful Stitcher and it has reminded me that I have ..somewhere..a x stitch kit of Carousel Horses that I really liked the look of and has been on the To Do List for about 15 years !!! Maybe one day soon I will get the time to work out how to do it and get on with it...:positive:

Hello Lindyloo, I remember sewing a horse carousel a few years ago but we gave it to someone. I think it was part of a series called "All Our Yesterdays".

lindyloo, there is no time like the present !!!!!!. Eric

You are right of course Eric, but talking of present(s) I'm busy making some of those at the moment for my family and some orders (and wrapping others) and I have a Christmas Stocking to sew which my son got me for my birthday :) so I will have to have a go after Christmas I think.

Hello Lindyloo, I remember sewing a horse carousel a few years ago but we gave it to someone. I think it was part of a series called "All Our Yesterdays".

Hello Stitcher, When I find it I will see if it is part of that series..

Lindyloo, when I said I gave it to someone I meant that I had sewn it for them as a present. Two of mine are in an office in Italy, one in Wales several in the Royal Orthopeadic in Northfield where I had my hip and knee replaced. There is a large one of a religious scene on the wall in St Mary's Hospice and a few small ones in nurses stations in a couple of hospitals. I did one which the Lord Mayor of Birmingha took to New York to give to that city after the Sept 11th atrocity.

001.JPG
Of course you will all know this is the famous Mona Lisa, it measures about two feet by two and a half feet and it is on the wall above my sons fireplace and looks great when the log burner is going well.

Lindyloo, when I said I gave it to someone I meant that I had sewn it for them as a present. Two of mine are in an office in Italy, one in Wales several in the Royal Orthopeadic in Northfield where I had my hip and knee replaced. There is a large one of a religious scene on the wall in St Mary's Hospice and a few small ones in nurses stations in a couple of hospitals. I did one which the Lord Mayor of Birmingha took to New York to give to that city after the Sept 11th atrocity.

Hi Stitcher, I thought that, that was probably what you meant :)
Your wonderful work can be seen far and wide then .....and I'm sure it gives a lot of pleasure to those who see it in the various places you have mentioned, I will keep my eyes open for your work when I'm next in a hospital. Have you any at The QE or Heartlands ?
What a lovely gesture giving one to New York was..
and your Mona Lisa is brilliant !! You must spend hours doing them..:encouragement:

Hello again Lindyloo, I have only been in Selly Oak for minor problems and although I always write a letter praising the staff I never felt obiged to give them a sewing, the same goes for Q.E. Mind you if my wife or I were taken into The Q.E. as an in-patient I am sure we would give one to the ward.

008.JPG

We have this one in the hall, again it was four individual paterns which I sewed on one piece of fabric It is the four seasons, Summer, Winter, Autumn and Spring. It measures about one metre square.

Stitcher, they are all beautiful, you have inspired me to make some of my own christmas cards in cross stitch, we hads a fad for this when I was doing my training and the tv room would be full with us al cross stitching various pictures to go into cards - one year we sold some to raise money for our wards and did quite well.
Have to agree with you though that the old ways of make do and mend are rapidly being overtaken by the throw away society, I am not that young, but some of the girls I work with will throw clothes away if a button comes off or they need the hem stitching, I think it is really sad, my mom and dad are both very handy, so they have passed this on to me and their grandchildren, but so many people don't and repairs are becoming a thing of the past.
Hope your stitching carries on giving you and the forum members pleasure for many years yet.
Sue

Hello sistersue, I have never been a pub goer in all my 72 years but I have grown veggies and flowers for as long as I can remember so that is where I am to be found when the weather is o/k. I did a bit of training to be a gents tailor as a school leaver but I did not like it and left to start on the co-op milk at Hall Green depot with the horse and carts. When I needed something sewing instead of letting mom do it I did it myself and have done ever since. I used to make most of my own clothes and practically all my wifes dresses, trousers and blouses. I stopped making our clothes when we realised we were a little old for the club and dance hall scene so that was when I started X. Stitching. I honestly never feel bored because I always have something to do and I once did a 4,000 piece jigsaw3 puzzle which I will photograph and post on here tomorrow.

stitcher

Back