• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Station Road Erdington

Before the London and North Western railway line to Sutton Coldfield was constructed in 1862 Station Road was known as Sheep Street and Gravelly Lane was known as Brick Kiln Lane. The attached 1889 map suggests that Johnson Road and the shops in Station Road were built after this date.
The photograph of the procession in about 1914 shows the row of shops on the Gravelly Lane side of the bridge. The shop on the corner of Station Road and Johnson Road (number 47) was Badgery's Stores the traditional family grocer. Henry James Badgery his wife and 6 children lived there in 1911. The latest reference I have found to the stores was in the phone book of 1983 so the family will have served a great many local families over the years. The Mr Badgery I remember in the 50s and 60s was very distinctive with a large bushy moustache. I don't remember his name but, from the BMD records it was probably Samuel Duncan Badgery (1908-1980).
I remember badgerys I lived in Johnson road number 3 next door to denis he used to be keen on world war 2 memorabilia ,mr badger used to brin g our grocerys to the house in a carboard box them was the days

Badgerys was a proper traditional grocers shop, was still doing delivery’s well into the 80’s.

I would always call in to Badgerys for my bacon, they sold proper bacon, sliced on a proper bacon slicer. You could ask to have it cut at number 10.

Great stuff, it did not shrivel away to nothing or have all that whit stuff using out like you get with supermarket bacon

Station Rd shop display.jpg Station Rd March 1956.jpg Station Road Shops.jpg
also there was a lady called doris who had a sweet shop round in station road the shop was called dorisis just by the rail way bridge , yes it was my old stamping ground I lived in Johnson road next door to denis the man who had war memorabilia and mr badgery used to bring our grocerys up yo the house in a carboard box them was the days
The lady called Doris in the sweet shop was my mother and the shop, number 37, was my childhood home. It was the third shop down from the station, the first being a greengrocer (Jim Davis?) and the second a butcher . The name above the shop was C T Rowley, my grandfather, who purchased the business in 1949. It can be seen in the attached 1956 photo. The shop can also be seen in the photo from the Keith Berry collection which will have been taken in the 1970s. The third photo shows the sweets on display inside the shop in the 1960s. The shop also sold tobacco and toys.

Station Rd March 1956.jpg Station Road Shops.jpg

I seem to remember that in the 50's there was a shop towards the bottom of Station Road, on the left hand side going up towards the bridge. The shop sold children's and women's hats and ribbons plus other haberdashery. I think it had those yellow cellophane window shields which were pulled down in the sun. This side of the road would've been in full sun all day. For some reason it always fascinated me.

View attachment 105394 View attachment 105392 View attachment 105393
The lady called Doris in the sweet shop was my mother and the shop, number 37, was my childhood home. It was the third shop down from the station, the first being a greengrocer (Jim Davis?) and the second a butcher . The name above the shop was C T Rowley, my grandfather, who purchased the business in 1949. It can be seen in the attached 1956 photo. The shop can also be seen in the photo from the Keith Berry collection which will have been taken in the 1970s. The third photo shows the sweets on display inside the shop in the 1960s. The shop also sold tobacco and toys.

View attachment 105392 View attachment 105393
Yes I remember Doris because my grandmother used to take me and my brother from Johnson road to Osbourne infants school and always went in to see Doris on the way my grandmother was friends with Doris also do you remember the bakers bit further down Mrs hedges used to run the shop it was a lot different in those days everybody new each other and every one had time for a chat as a young boy growing up in that area lived in Johnson road it was a great area to live

I seem to remember that in the 50's there was a shop towards the bottom of Station Road, on the left hand side going up towards the bridge. The shop sold children's and women's hats and ribbons plus other haberdashery. I think it had those yellow cellophane window shields which were pulled down in the sun. This side of the road would've been in full sun all day. For some reason it always fascinated me.
Yes the hat shop I think if I remember right that the was a fire at the shop ?

Gisbourne was the hardware shop, it was a farther and son enterprise, the son had a shop round the corner in Gravelly Lane. Both shop were jam packed full of all kinds of things, he knew where to find it too.

We would buy our ‘pink paraffin’ from Gisbournes, there was a open take to the right of the door, where he would measure out a gallon with his pointed spout measure.

Badgery's sold the best bacon in universe, I can remember David Evans, one of the partners, cutting bacon for me on a Berkels meat slicer, spinning that big red hand wheel round, neatly folding over each slice as it came off, then wrapping it in proper paper.

I also remember a laundry, a lady called Mrs Roberts from Court Farm Road worked there. She gave you a plastic cup with washing powder, a small container with I think bleach and a bottle of blue liquid, I would imagine for the rinse.

You had to wait for a light to come on, and then put the contents: in the correct sequence in thought a trap door on top of the machine. When washed, you took your washing to the spin dryer, and then home to dry on the washing line, no tumbler dryers then.

The was a butcher with a set of cow’s horns on the wall: Hichman’s? A fantastic toy shop, and a sweet shop near the station.
Also can you remember HANKS shop across the road it was a news agents and sweet shop

The sweet shop has this electronic eye across the doorway, so it would ring a bell when you walked in. I too recall the chocolate factory further up Station Road, I thought the chocolate was dire. There was a toy shop, two laundry's and, was it Cosy Café? It have a row of cup in increasing size in the front window. The largest cup said on the outside 'I'm not greedy, but I like a lot'. On the bottom was 'all gone'.

There was also three J's library, never seemed to be open.

The sweet shop has this electronic eye across the doorway, so it would ring a bell when you walked in. I too recall the chocolate factory further up Station Road, I thought the chocolate was dire. There was a toy shop, two laundry's and, was it Cosy Café? It have a row of cup in increasing size in the front window. The largest cup said on the outside 'I'm not greedy, but I like a lot'. On the bottom was 'all gone'.

There was also three J's library, never seemed to be open.
Good memories Morturn. The bell in our sweet shop was activated by spring loaded floorboards so that the circuit would be completed when a customer stepped inside. Probably before the days of the electronic eye.

I certainly remember the spring loaded floorboards in the shop, but it was modified in later years. It was some homemade device, maybe with part from the radio and TV spares shop up by the chocolate factory.

Was it called ‘Selecadare’?

Just thinking now about Station Road, there were three butchers shops.

hi

my great grandad lived at 23-25 station road in erdington with his family around 1900. The buildings are now listed and look fantastic.

i am trying to find any photos of the properties from over the years, and also to dig out some information on an accident involving a family member outside the house in 1905.

any information would be greatly recieved.

thanks

Thanks very much. Any other info would be amazing. I am especially interetsed in an accident outside the house in 1909 - a child died.

maybe a couple of alterations viv but i would say whats there now are original...nice find

lyn

I lived in Dean Road (which linked Johnson Rd and Oliver Rd), and walked to and from Abbey Primary School via Station Road every schoolday, turning the corner by Badgery's (cream and black ceramic tiles beneath the windows if I recall correctly, and a chromed frame around the windows). I worked a few Saturday mornings at Jim Davis's greengrocery shop next to the station ramp.

Rumbelows had an electric appliances shop opposite the Johnson Rd junction. Next to Gisborns ironmongery shop was a wool shop run by two ladies (?) who were quakers. They took my 3 younger sisters and me to a pantomime in Birmingham as a treat (our dad had recently died ina car crash). Summerfields (Somerfield?) the chemist was on the bottom corner far side. I remember that small chocolate factory and shop near the Cross Keys (Paynes - but not related to the well known chocolate sweet company) - they made horrid chocolate! McClellands owned (or lived above?) a shop above the Osborne Road junction, selling leather bags among otherstuff. Jacqueline McClelland was in my class at school, her younger sister in another class there.

Welcome Breconeer. Good to hear your memories (albeit very sad on losing your dad at a young age). Enjoy the forum. Viv.

My grandad lived in New St and I remember walking from Station Rd along side the railway track to the bottom of New St.That road in the 40s was more like a farmyard track.Dek

I'm doing some research into this road at the moment and it would be great to have people's recollections on it. I am told there was a footpath on the top of the embankment that the railway workers used.
I'm trying to find out how the footpath was accessed, there is some talk of there being steps, if anyone has a recollection of this it would be excellent !

I'm doing some research into this road at the moment and it would be great to have people's recollections on it. I am told there was a footpath on the top of the embankment that the railway workers used.
I'm trying to find out how the footpath was accessed, there is some talk of there being steps, if anyone has a recollection of this it would be excellent !

You may be thinning of Wesley Road, it is an ‘unadopted’ road, like a farm track.

There was quite a big rail goods yard that was situated behind New street, access was from Summer Road just by the railway bridge.

I don’t recall any steps or a path on the Wesley Road side, but that does not mean there wasn’t. With the goods yard and the station there is a likely possibility there was. Most certainly there were access steps to the signal box that stood between Summer Road and Station Road.

Does anyone remember a traffic island at the bottom of Station Road? It had a gas lamp on it and the island was removed in the early 60's. I am sure there was a picture posted on the forum once

I don't remember the island Morturn, but I'd love to see a picture if anyone has a copy. I do remember the one at the Gravelly Lane / Chester Road junction.

Morturn, this is the best I can do in response to your post #573. Bit before your time though. Do you think they put an island around the lamp as the traffic got heavier?

Attachments

• Gravelly Lane 1904.JPG
    Gravelly Lane 1904.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 72
An interesting postcard Lady P. Looks like there was once a garden nursery to the left (?) and a bakery to the right. Wonder if the building with the chimney to the right was the bakery? The building is still there as are the row of shops. A later building was built where the greenhouse is to the left. Think it was once a bank, now flats (?) but in that same building. It obviously wasn't such a busy junction at one time, but most certainly is now. And was a quiet junction judging by the stance of the men around the island/lamp post and the children loitering in the middle of the road. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 40
Frothblower, thank you for putting the photos side by side. I hadn't realised that what appears to be the old bakery, as Viv pointed out, is still there as part of Costcutter.

Ah! It's the trees that are different now. I was having trouble with the wall. Behind the original wall was the Abbey but now it's Highclare Senior School. Wonder what the monks would make of that?

Ah! It's the trees that are different now. I was having trouble with the wall. Behind the original wall was the Abbey but now it's Highclare Senior School. Wonder what the monks would make of that?
Lady P
In such delicate times, can we not go there, you will set all the snowflakes on fire.
Bob

Back