• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St. Silas School

Hi to you all,
My brother has just forwarded the link to this forum.
The photograph that was posted was the annual photograph of the School Captains together with the Vice Captains.
I am the School Captain on the right of the photo followed by Rosemary (? ) Glynis (?) and Antony Palmer.
Unfortunately I lost contact with all my old school chums when we all went our separate ways to Senior Schools.
When I was in my final year ( class 8 ) the teacher was Mr Handley, Year 7 was Mr Moore a young guy from Devon or Cornwall.
The Headmaster was Mr Eagles and the School Secretary was Mrs Hollingworth. I keep in contact with both of her children.
In my year were Tony Whitebread, Andy Beal, Alan Price Ray Lee Derek Turner Antony Palmer, Christine Lewes Christine Briggs,
In the final year we would all go on the No 40 bus from Villa Road down to Victoria Baths to try and learn to swim ( even now I cannot swim )
I would love to hear from any of my old class mates.
William Anderson

I guess its possible that it ceased being a school then, i have attached a pic of the school railings ( that i took last summer ) it shows the welded joint after one of the kids got his head stuck in them and had to be cut out LOL, circa 1956/7
I have just found your reference to the school railings, I remember the incident well. It happened during a game of football, when Tony Whitbread
kicked the ball over the railing. In those days the rule was that who ever last kicked the ball had to go and collect it. Tony decided that rather than go all the way around the school he would nip out through the railing. However after returning the ball he tried to come back at a different gap.
We all enjoyed seeing the fire men cut him out.
Not to sure who paid to fix the railing.
Will Anderson

Back