• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthias Wheeler Street Aston

T

Trees

My gt Grandfather was the son of the parish clerk of St Nicholas Warwick. Gt Grandfather was the first of my PRATT family to move to Birmingham. A cousin found a torn document which we think is the cover of a parish magazine for St Matthias. It shows a Mr PRATT was the sexton and Rev Patrick was the Vicar. I have asked Birmingham library, by email, if they can give me the dates that Rev Patrick served at the Church with out success. Can anyone here help We would like to know if this Mr PRATT was a relation. Is there a way of showing you a photo?
Many thanks
Trees

My grandmother, born 1884, went to St Matthias Voluntary Church School. Where is/ was that? Can't spot it in my old Brum A-Z.

St. Matthias church, in Farm-street, was founded in 1855; is in the middle pointed style; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and north and south chapels; and contains 1,151 sittings

Farm Street I am sure is near to Hockley Brook.(B18?)

dibb44

St Matthias

Thank you for all those helpful replies. Grandma lived in Farm Street, so that makes sense. I am trying to work out how she met someone who in childhood lived in Prescott St. Would he have gone to the same school, or were there others nearer?

Farm Street

Hello Zumfan :)

Farm Street was quite a long street until it got chopped up 1970,s
It started at Summer Lane, junction across road to Ormond Street,
This was border Aston/Hockley but Farm Street ran all the way up
to what is now the Hockley Flyover,,a good 10 minute walk,
Depending on which end of Farm Street your grandma lived would
help determine her early school years, maybe Farm St Infants or
William Cowper Junior & Infants (Cowper St next off Summer Lane)
then possibly Summer Lane senior school? Grandma could have attended
any in that vicinity, possible(s) pick any of around 10 ?
Good Luck , John Y :cool:

St Matthias school

Thank you John. I know for sure she went to St Matthias. But where did the friend who lived in Prescott Street go?
The story I am researching is fairly romantic, and I am trying to piece together the parts. During the war she met a man who was invalided out. He had gone to America in 1906 but came back when war broke out. I am trying to work out if she might have known him before or not. Hence the query.

I think St Mathias was on Wheeler Street

Can anyone confirm this? I saw a small picture on the Astonbrook site, are there anymore pictures that people know of?

many thanks
Paul

St Mathias Church on the corner of Wheeler St and Farm St.

Attachments

• Lozells St Mathias Farm St Wheeler St.JPG
    Lozells St Mathias Farm St Wheeler St.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 11
Back