• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St George's Church Newtown

jules. what lovely photos and the dress is gorgeous. you can also see the church quite well. going down moms tomorrow so i will borrow some photos.im sure thers a couple of her wedding at st. georges. wales

Thanks Lyn. Would love to see any photos you have. When did they marry? I've come across some of my Aunty Jeans wedding (my mom's sister) She married a few years after my mom at St. Michaels in Handsworth. Her dress is much more modern but I suppose material wasn't in such short supply then. When I get chance I will put them on.

mom and dad married on the 5th august 1950 jules so it will be their 58th wedding anniversary on tuesday. they are off to blackpool for a few days. will see what pics they have tomorrow.

How wonderful wales you are so lucky they are still around......and active. Wish them a happy holiday from us all:)

mom and dad married on the 5th august 1950 jules so it will be their 58th wedding anniversary on tuesday. they are off to blackpool for a few days. will see what pics they have tomorrow.

How wonderful Lyn, 58 years married and never a cross word :Dlol. My nan and grandad enjoyed their 50th. My grandad died not too long afterwards. My nan lived for another 25 years and missed him terribly. You are lucky to still have your parents - I bet they are a mine of information. I look forward to seeing their photos.

im very lucky jules and both have got brillient memories specially dad with the pubs lol . dont know if ive said but we are taking dad on an overnight stay on the 17th back to the little welsh village where he was evacutad. its been 70 years since he was there and has always wanted to go back. he cant stop talking about it. had his case packed for weeks. bless him. watch out for the photos.

im very lucky jules and both have got brillient memories specially dad with the pubs lol . dont know if ive said but we are taking dad on an overnight stay on the 17th back to the little welsh village where he was evacutad. its been 70 years since he was there and has always wanted to go back. he cant stop talking about it. had his case packed for weeks. bless him. watch out for the photos.

I really hope your dad enjoys his trip. My aunt (mom's sister) was also evacuated but to Bidford on Avon or is it Bideford. I think my family has always had connections to the area. My nan's mom was born in Welford.

I truly hope he has a wonderful time and the pubs live up to his expectations. Still I don't think there are many pubs like the old pubs of Birmingham. It is such a shame that we are losing so many of them. I hope the Union survives, although I have been in there, it was never my local. Preferred the Gunmakers further down the road and their pool table. My hubby though liked a game of domies. Just like his dad.

hi all. its mom and dads 58th wedding anniversary tomorrow. they were married at st georges church newtown on 5th august 1950. here are a few photos as promised. ps they are in blackpool at the moment on what they call their 2nd funnymoon. happy anniversary mom and dad. love you lots. lyn

lynh6.jpg this one was taken after the wedding in the back yard at paddington street where mom lived and i was born.

Last edited:
mom%20+dad.JPG thought i would just throw this one in for good measure. its mom and dad when they were 18 taken outside where dad lived in hunters vale. hope you like them. wales.

Last edited:
Great photos Lyn......Happy and smiling....I hope your parents have a great time on their "funnymoon". 59 years is a long time. They met when they were very young too.
Thanks for posting.

yes jennyann. they were childhood sweethearts. been together since they were 14. they are both 80 next birthday. i am posting a few more old family photos on the general pics thread. there will be some of a very young me. o dear. lol wales.

yes jennyann. they were childhood sweethearts. been together since they were 14. they are both 80 next birthday. i am posting a few more old family photos on the general pics thread. there will be some of a very young me. o dear. lol wales.

Lyn - I can see that you definately have your moms looks in that photograph taken with your dad aged 18.

keith

keith. as i always thought mom a handsome looking woman thats an extra dance to you in november. wales. ive put a few family photos under general pics.

Hi again Lyn. What wonderful photographs and a lovely story of childhood sweethearts. You can certainly see how much more "fashionable" your mom's dress was to my moms. 5 years made a difference. I believe material would have been in short supply in 1945 when my parents married. I hope your parents have a very happy funnymoon. Best wishes to them. jules

hi jules. thank you all for your good wishes to mom and dad. but i have to disagree with you jules. your moms dress was gorgeous and that long veil was like something out of a fairytale. i always amazes me just how the brides in those days looked so lovely on what must have been a very tight buget and the flowers were magnificent. they surely must have been real i dont think they did plastic in those days. wales

I have now found my parents "official" photographs of their wedding at St. Georges. Hope you like them.

View attachment 17187View attachment 17188View attachment 17189

I think my dad had to borrow his suit. I always said he should have married in his army uniform (as he was so handsome in it) but I think he was just glad to be in civvies. I think I've always had a soft spot for men in uniform.

They are lovely Jules. Your mother was gorgious...

keith

wonderful jules. see what i mean about special effort being made with the flowers. lyn

My grandparents were married there in 1919. Two weeks later, my granddad'd sister was married there too. I went to the site on Saturday. The original wall and gates still exist. It appears that part of the housing estate was built on the grounds. Tower St has been shortened with the part by the park now as a car park for the school and closed as far as a public right of way.

hi all. i know this is a pub pic(the st georges vaults) but i thought all those with an interest in the church may like to see it as it was opposite st georges. i feel for sure that our ancestors would have frequented this pub. i have posted a map like you can see exactly where it was situated.

wales.

well spotted john. yes would love to know who he is. i would like to know who any of the people are in the latest hospital st pic i have posted too.

I can't seem to see any photos of this church - where have they gone!
leelou

hi. the pictures of the church start on page 2 post number 14 on this thread.

hope you find them ok

wales:)

Hi wales, great pics and memories you bring to people it certainly brought back my memories of dancing around the maypole in the school playground which was adjoining the church itself, i was also a member of the church choir:angel: so have good memories of my school days there, but boy did i hate that maypole:crying: once again great work you do on this site.:thumbsup:

Back