• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Bartholomews Edgbaston Lookups

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hello folks,

on the IGI I have found a baptism in 1732 & a marriage in 1757..

But it only states EDGBASTON...no church mentioned at all...does
anyone have any idea WHICH church these could have been at ???

Thanks in advance..I know SOMEONE will have the answer for me !!

Regards,
Margaret.

I have a marriage in 1824 that just said Edgbaston. Looked it up in Central Library and it was St. Bartholemews, which was the main church in Edgbaston - so this may be the one you're looking for. Bear in mind though that Edgbaston covers a large area.

Margaret, there were many churches in Edgbaston, but Charlie is right St Bartholomews was the only one built when your ancesters were being christened and married in the 18th Century.

Charlie & Di,
many thanks for this info.....will explore the records for St Bartholemews when I am next in the library....watch this space !!!!
Regards,
Margaret.

Margaret, what are the names you are looking for? I have books of the registers for St Bartholomew marriages 1813 to 1837 and could look them up for you. Judy

Hello Judy,
thank you for your kind offer....the baptism & marriage I posted about
were before the dates you have for Edgbaston...BUT....I do in fact have
a 1829 Marriage that I am keen for details on... please..

1829 Edgbaston. Marriage of ANN GREENWOOD & GEORGE BROUGH.

Many thanks,
Margaret.

Hi Margaret

St Bartholomew, Edbaston
5 November 1829

George Brough married Ann Greenwood
witnesses: Mary Brough and Samuel Underwood

Hope this helps. No more details given.

Hello Judy,
Thank you so much for this info, it will help me with my research.
By the way..I remember your post on another thread about Greenway street...I lived there until 1963 ! Ask away if there are any questions
you think I can help you with....
Regards,
Margaret.

Can anyone help I am tracing the marriage of Richard Nock to Ann Bayley/Bailey married 12.09.1808 the church just states Edgbaston.Has anyone any idea what church this would be.
Thanks Pam

pam1511,

It could be any of these these are in Edgbaston at this time ,and I have no doubt there are others that are long gone,

St Mary & Ambrose, Pershore Rd/ Raglan Rd.

St Augustine of Hippo, St Augustine Rd. The oldest I think and your best bet

St Bartholemew’s, Church Rd.

St George’s.Westbourne Crescent.

St Germain, City Rd.

Good luck in your search.

Phil

Last edited:
Pam: I think St. Bartholemews was the main church in Edgbaston at that time.This was what I was told at Birmingham Central Library when I searched for my family and they were all married there.

Hello

Can someone please lookup the marriage info from the following marriage please :

Joseph Bushell & Ann Griffieths 7/4/1806 Edgbaston.

Thank you.

Portcullis

Hello Steve

Thank you for offering to look up this marriage for me. That is very kind of you.

I look forward to finding out the full marriage information.

Regards

Portcullis

Joseph Bushell, bachelor, of this parish married Ann Griffieths ? spinster on the 7/4/1806 at St.Bartholomew's church, Edgbaston. Joseph signed his name, whilst Ann made her mark X. Witnesses were Elizabeth Shaw who made her mark X, and William Griffis? whom signed his name.
If you IM me your e mail address i will send you a copy (It's a microfilm copy and isn't the best).

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve

Thank you very much for doing this look up for me.

Yes i would like to see the microfilm copy please. Thank you for copying it for me.

I will send you a private message.

Regards

Portcullis

If someone could do a marriage look up for Jeremiah Jones and Geneva Maria Parkes, 9 Apr 1876, Edgbaston Parish, after banns.
Would like to know if there is any other information, occupation, witnesses, etc...
Thank you
SR

Right, had a look at this one to-day. St.Bartholomew's church Edgbaston. Jeremiah Jones, of full age, bachelor, and a Iron moulder? of Edgbaston, married Geneva Maria Parks, of full age, spinster, of Edgbaston on the 9 April 1876. Jeremiah's Father was Jeremiah Jones, a fitter. Geneva's Father was Harry Parks, a ? Both Jeremiah and Geneva signed the register, as did the witnesses Harry Parkes and Emily Agnes

I have a copy of the marriage certificate taken from the microfilm. I must say, it is a very poor one, but again if you let me have your e mail address i'll send you the copy, but as i say it is a very poor one.

Regards

Steve

Can anyone please advise me of the correct name for the Parish Church, Edgbaston please? Have just received a marriage cert from 1858 but it does not name the church.

Regards,
Margaret.

Edgbaston Parish Church.. Sorry it does not seem to enlarge.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Parish Church.JPG
    Edgbaston Parish Church.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi

Can someone please give me all the details relating to the following marriage I have found on the IGI:

John HORTON
Elizabeth SWINNERTON
21 Feb 1831
Edgbaston

Many thanks.

Hi all

I am hoping someone may have access to Edgbaston marriages, if so could they check this entry for me to see if there is additional information.

James Glascott & Mary Whitmore 9 June 1807

Thanks
Carol

Re: Edgbaston Marriage please

Hi Carol, on Familysearch the marriage was at St. Bartholomew's Parish Church Edgbaston. Details will be at Birmingham Library but not available until moved to new premises in September.
Sorry!!
rosie.

Back