• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Bartholomews Edgbaston Lookups

Re: Edgbaston Marriage please

Hi

Thanks both very much for your replies. The link doesn't seem to work, but I will keep trying.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Unfortunately I've only got the Registers from 1812 - 1831, but based on other entries close to that date, all you're likely to find are the names of the witnesses.

Maurice

Hi Sospiri

I am hoping the witnesses may help confirm if it's the right Mary Whitmore.

Thanks for the reply
Carol

Hi Carol,

Nothing in the Marriage Witness Index or 19th Century Newspapers. Sorry.

Maurice

A couple of suggestions Carol. The Bishops Transcripts covering this period are available on LDS Film Number 428992. You can either order this up to view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre OR this film is available to view in Lichfield Record Office. It really depends upon how desperate you are to get the information!

Maurice

It's not worth ordering the film as there is only one married I need to check. I am going to Lichfield soon to look at some wills, so will look at it then.

Thanks very much
Carol

Hi Carolina

Yes I am on Ancestry, but couldn't find it. Where did you search?

I clicked on marriages and just put James full name in and born 1907 and birmingham (not Edgbaston) it came under Pallot's directory. If you cant get it I will try and post the info for you.

Carol sorry you should put the spouses name in as well. Also, if you want to IM with your email I can email it to you.

If anybody is making a visit to Birmingham library, I would be grateful for information that can be found about the marriage of Thomas Clark and Jane Burton at St Bartholomews, Edgbaston on 27 Aug 1832. I'm hoping that Jane's father and witnesses to the wedding will be shown.

Very many thanks

Dave

Dave, as far as I know the archives at Birmingham Library are unavailable until the new Library opens in September.

Hi pollypops

Thanks for the information. That's what I was worried about, but I had heard something along the lines of it being accessible on a couple of days each week but that may have been some time ago so it's a good job I didn't make the journey in from Stourbridge.

I'm looking forward to the new library.

Hi, it's your lucky day (almost) I have access to a few St Bartholomew's records - 27 Aug 1832 Thomas Clarke and Jane Burton - witness - James Harris

Do not know if the E on Clarke is correct but that is how it is typed on the page.

Sorry Dave it doesn't - that's why I said it was only almost your lucky day. I am not sure if the record in the Library would show the fathers name or if it would only show the same details as I have. I think in the early years they may not have listed the fathers names.

Do you know what year and where Jane Burton was born?

You're right. Some showed father's name, but it wasn't a requirement.

'My Jane' was born in July 1814 to George and Ann Burton of Park Street Birmingham. She would be the sister of my direct ancestor, William.

Dave

Back