• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sliced Bread is 70

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
ITS 70 YEARS SINCE THE FIRST SLICED LOAF WENT ON SALE IN USA

I saw my first one when I worked at Rowands Bakery helping a roundsman on Saturdays in 1950

It'll be a bit stale now, then...

And...What was the best thing before sliced bread?

I can remember my Aunt putting loaves on the bacon slicer in their butchers shop to slice them!

I think Wonder loaf was the first sliced bread I remember. My friends family across the road had it and it seemed really posh, they were a little better off than us. A luxury at their house for me was chips form the fish and chip shop in Wonder loaf sliced bread. My friend loved ketchup sandwiches with that bread. Thanks for the memories Alf, that must have been around early 1950's I guess. Mo

Just a thought Alf my old china,are you as old as the first sliced loaf

Yes Mossy and a couple more.

Thanks Mo I try

I believe the machine was invented about 18 years before and someone else used it to put the Bread on the Market

Last edited:
Upps slipped up again. I think I am having one of those days. Well wherever you are Alf I bet you were blushing. TTFN. Jean.

You are as old as you feel, right Alfie!!

I think we must have been a bit on the backwards side. I can remember cutting bread with the breadknife way after we were married in 1957.

Now did the areosol come before or after the bread slicer? If before then that's what I remember, if not, I dunno.

Talking about you are as old a you feel

Who was it who said You are as old as the woman your feeling ?

Mossy

And nowadays the super markets have all types of unsliced bread eg;Tin,Batch, Bloomers............Bloomers but we have in this modern world electric knives so you can cut to your own desire feel a a crust end coming on with lashings of butter,.........can you still get Adams best butter

Mossy

Where did the thin sliced loaf go its all medium and thick and toastie which is a thicker slice.Still theres nothing like a fresh crusty loaf.

First sliced bread in our house was called Lyons Superbread and came in a wax paper wrapper with blue and white squares on. The crust was always rubbery, we only had it cos we could get it in a local corner shop on a Sunday morning when all the other shops were closed, unlike today.

Back