• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sixties Music

... I still like rock, soul, Tamla Motown but my knees don't let me dance anymore!

Barbara Howells

Is that due to too much rock 'n' roll or too much roller skating? :whistle:
You can still see a multi-star bill if you look out for the Solid Silver Sixties Show. But be careful to study who's on. I went to one which included the Searchers and the Mersey Beats and it was great; went to another with PJ Proby where Gerry and the Pacemakers were top bill and it was rubbish. The only ones any good on the second bill were Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch, who I never thought a lot of in the sixties.
Keep Rockin'! :great:

We used to go to the Trees in Great Barr, and yes, Fay, all the Tamla Motown too; and Janis Joplin singing the blues - even Robert Plant (Led Zep) did a good blues number but it wasn't released as a single. He made a brilliant job of it. Can't remember what it was called now, 7 to 11 or something.

I have to both, agree, and disagree, with you Oisin mate. I too have been to see a few of these Silver Sixties Shows, and must say that as a whole, they are good. I,m glad you liked DD,D,B,M, & T. I have seen them 3 times now on these shows, and they are fabulous. But I am an avid, die- hard PJ PROBY fan of over 40 years, and for me, the man can do no wrong. But we all have our own opinions. Lets just keep going to these shows, because its all coming to an end for our 60s performers. After all, we are all getting just a tad older. Regards, Barry.

Michael and I went to see Dave Berry last year in Tamworth he was brilliant, he still turned his collar up and lowered the mike down his back.........all tongue in cheek but what a show!

MomaP. I too have been to see Dave Berry, and he was good wasn,t he ? Amongst others I,ve seen lately are The Ivy League, Swinging Blue Jeans, Gerry & Pacemakers, Wayne Fontana, Peter Noone, Searchers and the very best of the lot Roy Wood. If you get a chance to see him perform life, do it, you wont regret it. He came and did a show up here in Glasgow about 4-5 years ago, and the Scots absolutely love him, especially when he went off stage, and re-appeared with his bag-pipes to play Goin Down The Road. Regards, Barry.

Wow Baz you certainly have seen a few of our favourites. I would love to see "Woody" but my hubby threw him off his bus in the early sixties "girl trouble" they both liked the same one "not me" so is a bit embarrassed. I keep telling him I'm sure he won't remember............so long ago!

Brum Rocks

Brum Rocks Live

They are at Tamworth Assembly rooms on 10th of May , got tickets today no problem.

Dave

When I rang last month they only had single scattered seats available! If he got two together he must know someone...........drat!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Dave Just jealous have a great night.

MomaP. All those artists I mentioned are still doing the rounds, so just keep your eyes open and you could catch them too. Regarding R.W., I,m sure he wont bear any grudges after all this time. But believe me, he is good. Regards, Barry.

brum rocks

Moma P

I had no problem getting tickets, went into Tamworth information centre asked If there where any tickets left for the show was told yes .Four of us going managed to book all seats together,according to the seating plan on their computer there seemed to be plenty of seats left,give them a call.Saw the show last year it was brilliant
Hope this helps.

Dave

Just remembered some more that I,ve seen in the last half-dozen years Moma P. How about Mud, Rubettes, Dakotas, Tremeloes, Billie Davis, Suzi Quatro, Johnnie Tillotson & Bobby Vee. Barry.

Dave, Thanks for the information sorry I didn't get your email earlier, I might try on Monday, still I am quite annoyed after beeing told it was almost sold out!

Bazz I am quite envious all those wonderful names!

Brum rocks

Moma P

Having read this thread again I think that there may be a bit of confusion .
Paul's link to the show was for Saturday the 12th of May at Lichfield Garrick theatre which may be sold out, the tickets that I bought where for the 10th of May at Tamworth Assembly Rooms.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave, Yes you are right! another senior moment. When it was first announced there was no mention of Tamworth. I will certainly try again. Thanks for clarifiying it for me.

Did anyone listen to Johnnie Walker on BBC 2 today,he had Bev Beven on talking about how he started in the business and Brum Groups and music happy memories.:)

Trouble is Barry they don't always say who's on I just caught it by luck.

Barry, have a listen at https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/walker/

You can always listen to shows you have missed on BBC. The link above will give you the Johnnie Walker show. Just hit Kisten Again on the site. I have just finished listening to Alan Titchmarsh whom I wouldn't miss when I am working on line as I am today. I am going to listen to Johnnie now.

Jenny I listen to a lot of repeats on Radio 2 while on the computer but Sunday is best for live stuff Parkinson, Tichmarsh etc::)

Hi Alf, It's just about the best day on Radio 2 imho ending up with David Jacob who has known "them" all. I also have a listen to the plays from time to time. Since I have to concentrate when I'm working online the music is great. I do like Brian Matthews and Dale Winton. If I want some musicals I listen to Elaine Paige. I also like Aled Jones when he hosts either the Sunday Morning show or Friday Night is Music Night.

Don't forget to tune into the celebrations for the 40th anniversary of BBC Radio 2. Check on the BBC site for details of all the programmmes on that Sunday including Family Favourites with Michael Aspel.

The Johnnie Walker show today brought back so many memories of Birmingham in the l960's and Bev Bevan's (The Move) interview was great to listen to. So many local Brum references, of course. Remember Keene & Scott furniture store. That's where he was working when Carl Wayne asked him to come and drum for The Move? Johnnie Walker has Brum memories too, of course.

Thanks Jennyann. If I hadnt been so busy when I came in from work, I might have remembered to do that. Thanks for the reminder anyway. Barry.

A different angle on sixties music was the Folk Music popularity. Are there any members out there that would have visited the Jug O' Punch, the Birmingham home club of the Ian Campbell Folk Group, based at the Digbeth City Hall? I left Brum for Australia in 1968, but had been a member for some years & have some great memories of the club.

The Beatles - my favourites. Loved George. Remember going to see them at the Odean, they sneeked dress as police officer. Screamed all the way through! Saw the Stones there as well, not forgetting people like Cliff, the Shads, Roxy Music and Isaac Hayes.

We didn't have the big places then like the ICC and NEC, so most concerts took place in cinemas and clubs.

I remember seeing Lonnie Donegan at the Hippodrome Theatre when I was a youngsters. The use to do the variety shows, and put the numbers on the side so you could see who was on next. My Dad took me.

Such good times, still love the music from the 60's. Have all my originnal LP's and 45's of the Beatles, Stones and many more, though I don't play them anymore, made sure I had them on CD. Wouldn't part with them for the world though. Even have a photo of George, framed and on the book case.

I wrote to them when the did a piece in the mag Roxy, and had a reply published so I had a signed photo, and that has a pride of place as well.

Those were the days!

:)

60's for me were the instrumentals - started after I first heard Duane Eddy with "Rebel Rouser" and "Hoots Mon" by Lord Rockinghams XI in the 50's but really took of in 1962 with "Apache" by the Shadows. From Sweden a group called the Spotnicks played at the Atlas, Stechford dressed in spacesuits with glass helmets! At the Town Hall another group called Nero and the Gladiators dressed in togas. From over the pond the Ventures, the Champs and the Fireballs. Anyone remember Bert Weedon? So many more but don't want to bore you with 'em. Still catch some of it on Brian Matthews Sounds of the Sixties of a Saturday Morning on the wireless.

hi all. you may or may not know that we are trying you set up a 60s theme night complete with fancy dress. the 60s music played a big part in my life too. so if you are interested in joining us you can read all about it on the birmingham news and events thread. be great to have you onboard. wales.

Back