• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheppard Aston 1855

S

scruth

William Brain Sheppard b 23 Mar 1855 68, Long Acre Street, Aston, Birmingham d 1937 Cardiff. (Spent most of his life in Bristol and Newport)

Son of Thomas Sheppard c.1831-1857 and Harriett nee Brain 1832-1891.

Thomas is the son of William, a butcher. Harriett is from Bristol.

Is Thomas from Birmingham originally ? Are there other B'ham Sheppards related ?

I'm also wondering where Long Acre Street was.

Many thanks for reading this.

Simon

Hi Poster, Probably no connection but I am in possession of a nice pen and ink original sketch of a three year old child -full face inscripted on the back Edward James Sheppard 1822 with nice plain gilt frame I believe this individual came from Worcestershire WAK

Electoral roll gives, for 1920 only, Alfred George Sheppard and Annie Sheppard at 273 Long Acre.
William B Sheppard age 6 in 1861 Census, at Bedminster, Bristol. (Presume you have this)

Hi Simon
I lived in Long Acre from 1940 to 1956 and we had a family Sheppard living near us. Their address was 124 Long Acre and the father was William. I can't remember the mothers name but one of the daughters Rosealind went to my school.
Not quite the period you are looking at but it may come in handy one day.

Regards
Bob

Hi Simon, I am the great grand-daughter of Willaim Brain Sheppard - so the eldest granddaughter of Launcelot Charles Sheppard-who was one of the sons from his second marriage I think. Would be delighted to hear from you-I think your research has gone a lot further than mine. My mother tells me that there is a family story that William's father was murdered for his takings - but I can't find anything to confirm that! She also says that the family were the first to import bananas into the country. I certainly have some images in a book on Newport showing them outside their shop.

Hi, I'm also the great grand daughter of William Brain Sheppard, my grand father was Ralph William, Charlie's brother. The family knew Ralph as Bill or Taff. We've also heard whisperings of a murder, but nothing more than that. We have the Newport book too with William and George. My dad (also a William (Bill) Sheppard from Ralph's second marriage) remembers meeting uncle Charlie on the family visits to Cardiff (Ralph moved up to Chester). The furthest back we've gone is Thomas and Harriett's marriage certificate, which lists Thomas's father as a Butcher and Harriett's father John Brain as a Turnkey. One area we've been trying to look into is Grace Turnbull - Ralph and Charlie's mother (William Brain Sheppard's second wife). We've heard about a Norweigian and Scottish connection from Ralph but haven't located anything concrete to confirm. Hope this reaches you. Laura Sheppard

Hello Simon, I am the grand daughter of William Brain Sheppard, my late Dad Dick Sheppard was the last of his children born to his second wife my grand mother Grace Turnbull who lived in the Cathays area of Cardiff. I am trying to find out when they married, I believe my father was the 28th child ! twentyone born to his first wife Elizabeth and seven to my grandmother Grace. I actually live next door to my Cousin Jo whose mother was Williams first born Marjorie from the second marriage, Can you help me at all trying to find out more about Grace and Williams marriage and also if there are any siblings, cousins etc still living from the first marriage. The family always thought William was from Bristol but to find out he was a Brummie was a surprise ! It would be lovely to hear from you and what your connection is with the family. kind regards Marceline Harwood ( nee Sheppard )

Back