• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shampoo

Should have had your head shaved Dec,then the nits skid off.As for chasing the girls,wow! that was great fun...except, when you caught one and she had a runny nose.

Got a shiny top now trouble is me legs have gone if i could catch one now they could always borrow me hankie Dek

Elizabeth,
Odd that,neither do I,it seems nits would only settle on a clean head,if so,that must be the reason...dirty little boy's.

What does F/F mean?

Fatfingers Ray i thought i would answer both, more shampoo

I also used borax to get the laquer out Carolynn - the laquer in those days was really harsh and left a big build up on your hair. I used to use Rosedale laquer which used to come in pink plastic sachets which you could empty into your own squeezey spray bottle. Judy

I remember them all Sticher...how old does that make me then? Judy, I used Borax to try and make my hair go blonde. It didn't work though, my hair was as black as your grandfather's.

I was talking to a friend today about shampoo and it started us thinking about the shampoo's we used to have as a girl. we never had any bottles they were always in a sachet do you remember?? We could only think of a few,Lincoln beer shampoo, dreene, silverkrin, Bristow lanolin. Just thought egg shampoo.
Hi Patty, I have always
been a fan of Dr Miriam Stoppard and was reading the other day her advice on washing your hair,Most People should wash their hair every other day,use the mildest shampoo you can find,only shampoo it once, most present day shampoos
are very efficient.Mix two teaspoonfuls of shampoo in a glass of warm water, pour it wet hair and gently rub it into your
hair,leave it on for one minute and then rinse until it all out.Always use a conditioner to prevent tangling, Afterwards
dab it dry with a towel, do not rub it vigorously. Here endth the first lesson!! Hope that helps, Bernard

Ray, will you try not to look like that photo on post #29 The eyes are scarey.

After having another look at that photo.Stich...you are spot on, I look more sinister than my avatar.
But then mate, you are supposed to look at me head ,which I specially polished and buffed with an old sock,for the photo.call.

Anyway is this any better...you know what that is on my head I'm sure.

I remember my mother showing my older sisters how to make a hair-lightener by boiling/simmering rhubard root (oxalic acid) and using the resultant liqueur, mixed with camomile, as a hair rinse. Also, massaging raw egg into the scalp and hair (why???) and using beer as a rinse too. One of my sisters had dark hair and used olive oil to make it shine.

Until well into the 1960's we never used shampoo. We had pots of soap slivers/the end bits of used soap, soaked in rainwater (also often used as a rinse!) until it was almost liquid. We used coarse soap in a similar fashion, to wash dirty dishes too. White vinegar was also used, in a rinse, the remove any soapy residue. No wonder hair-washing was just a weekly occurrence, at best!

I think the one most used in our house was Carbolic, I think it killed 99% of all germs , bugs, mice, rats ,cockroaches, silverfish as well as getting us kids clean.

Slightly off-topic but, some years ago a mate and I were talking about carbolic soap, and how we hadn't seen any for sale in years. A few weeks later my mate found some carbolic soap in our local farmer's super-market/country store. He'd bought a few bars for both of us - oh the smell...it bought back memories! Well, I used the soap for a couple of weeks until I suddenly became rather 'tender' in certain 'private regions'
icon9.png
....I stopped using the soap and the 'condition' cleared up. When I was next in the store I decided to have a look at the soap, and asked the manager what it was used for....and yes, it was carbolic soap, but of a concentarted form, used to wash the udders of cows after milking, to prevent mastitis! How we did laugh!
icon8.png
Of course, my mate had only used his, to wash his hands, as his wife didn't much care for the smell. Mind you, it certainly worked, as I've never had mastitus yet!
icon11.png

I've just remembered: I used some stuff called 'Hint of a Tint' when I was a third-former at school; at the same time I also used a fake-tan cream called (I think?) 'Tantfastic'....well the 'Hint of a Tint' stuff wasn't so bad, but the 'Tanfastic' was lethal! It died my eye-brows a virulent, day-glo orange! I looked as if I was wearing a couple of segments of a satsuma above my eyes! I only just escaped a 'caning' because my head-master caught me within minutes of entering school....he thought I'd done it deliberately! Try as I might, I couldn't wash the stuff off....in the end, I had to try to tone it down with my sister's mascara; which didn't really help much, as all the tiny hairs on my face had been died bright orange too. I had an incipient orange mustache that couldn't be covered-up without me looking like Charlie Chaplin!
icon9.png

After watching the programme on the Queen last night. Looking at her hairstyle which doesnt seem to have changed, I can remember days gone by when you asked for a shampoo and set - italian boy style which is what she seems to have. Also Dot Cotton on Eastenders has that style.

Carolina, I remember the Italian cut (as it was called), and it's one that I had in the late 50's. Italian music and style was very much in at that time. JohnO, I had a sachet of Hint Of a Tint quite recently, so it's not been unavailable that long. What was Tanfastic, it sounds like some sort of tanning lotion that didn't prove too popular...I wonder why???

maggs, Tanfastic was awful! I imagined I would put it on at night and wake up tanned. How wrong could I be?! Yes I had orange streaky legs, the skin on my heels and knees was dark brown, plus the smell was
disgusting. I got in trouble for wasting my pocket-money, too!!
Mum bought me a shampoo called "Deep" which was supposed to get rid of greasy hair forever, of course it didn't!!

I can just imagine how you must have looked rosie, bet you never wanted to try self tanning again in a hurry. I can't remember a shampoo called Deep, although I seem to able to remember a lot of old one's.

Not quite a shampoo but when I worked at Woolies I bought something called bandbox spray tint not realising it was vertually neat peroxide. I was naturally blond but thought I would lighten it up. It went the most awful straw colour and took ages to grow it out. No shampoo on earth could get rid of that. Even my finger tips turned white. Jean.
Bit late replying but have only just seen this. I did exactly the same thing in the 1960s! I guess nowadays product descriptions are a little more accurate

Back