• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

I wonder if the old steam trams did actually do a loop in the old square. If you look at the 1890 Ordnance it shows that the steam trams probably went past the old square on Corporation Street and reversed into the square and then switching and coming out on the other side of the island to go back along Corporation Street. Maybe the track was changed later. I don't remember what the shape of the island was later but maybe the tram tracks defined the triangular shape originally. If this is true then the steam engine should be visible with the passenger car behind it, assuming that the engine and driver were always at the front.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=1801&oy=735&zm=1&czm=1&x=395&y=331

That track plan does suggest the operation you describe, Rupert, perhaps the engine was turning while the picture was taken - certainly there are passengers alighting suggesting it had only recently arrived. Here is a photo of the sort of engine and trailer it probably was.

Attachments

• last steam tram.JPG
    last steam tram.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
In fact I think that it is more likely that the incoming passengers would have alighted on the south side of corporation street and the tram would have reversed into the Old Square when empty. Outgoing passengers would possibly have mounted the car when the engine and car had moved over the switch and up to the stop on the far side of the square. So that in the postcard the engine should be visible in front of the car.
One supposes though that the unit could operate with the engine at either end but I wonder if that was safe in those days or if the complete unit could be operated remotely from the front/rear of the car.

The tracks for the cable car are also indicated on the map and I have not quite figured out how they worked...at least completely. I can understand the design requirements for the end of the track but at bends they must have had to disconect from the cable; the grabber not being able to go around the pulleys that would be required. In so doing the tram must have had to be elevated up to the bend so that it could free wheel down an incline around the corner. Another thought is that at stops a similar elevating may have been advantageous so that at restart the tram could have a rolling start when grabbing the cable again...to reduce wear and jerkiness. It seems to me that bends might have been good places to have a stop...the elevating portion already being there. It's conjecture on my part because although there are some drawings on the web, they do not seem to explain very deeply. Wear on the cable must have been problematical, in view of the fact that everything came to a stop when a breakage occured. I think that these drivers must have been very skilled.

Sorry to keep on about steam trams, but Rupert is right about the original layout at the Old Square, which was adequate when the Bham Aston Tramway started as the sole user on 26 December 1882. But later routes to Perry Barr (opened 25.11.1884), Lozells (01.10.1885), and Saltley (24.11.1885) would have made better facilities necessary.
Below is an extract from the 1912 which actually shows the later steam tramway layout, before they were replaced by electric trams on the Dale End - Martineau St - Corporation Street loop on 01.01.1907
Peter

Attachments

• Old Squaretram layout1900s.jpg
    Old Squaretram layout1900s.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 3
Re the cable trams:
Wear on the cable must have been problematical, in view of the fact that everything came to a stop when a breakage occured. I think that these drivers must have been very skilled.
Far worse was a broken strand, which could lock onto a gripper and carry the car forward at full cable speed, with the driver not being able to disengage or stop. It would be interesting to learn what arrangements were made to (quickly) notify the winding-house enginemen, in order to stop the cable.

For more on the Hallidie patent cable tramway system, see https://www.sfcablecar.com/index.html which although about the last surviving lines, the famous San Fransisco ones, shows generally how the Handsworth system would have worked.

Cough, cough, my nose is running and my eyes are streaming. I must have a cold, or is it all the steam. I have got to get out to the country for a while. Moseley Park or perhaps Northfield Village.

Phil

Moseley Chantry Park.jpgChurch Hill Northfield.jpg

Last edited:
PMC,
Thanks for your nice pics of Northfield and Moseley. Although I've been around Birmingham for 75 years, I must admit it wasn't until this year that I got to Northfield village, and the church (and the pub of course, which wasn't at all bad). Coming from the North of Brum I never had reason other than curiousity to wander round the southern suburbs (at least after the trams had gone). The approach to the church is very different now, right enough.
Petera

Two more postcards to add to this lovely thread. Jean.

Attachments

• Aston Public Baths PC.jpg
    Aston Public Baths PC.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Aston Park Cafe Lichfield Rd 1935.jpg
    Aston Park Cafe Lichfield Rd 1935.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 22
Jean
Do we know the second one of the cafe is from Brum?. There was a aprk cafe in 1940 at 290 Aldridge rd, perry barr, but there's the remains of an old phone no on the brickwork that says phone east -something exchange

Mike

A few different views of Colmore Row

Attachments

• Colmore Row.jpg
    Colmore Row.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 13
  • City Council House Colmore Row .jpg
    City Council House Colmore Row .jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Colmore Row 1.jpg
    Colmore Row 1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 13
Mike I will sort the cafe postcard out but it was with the old Brum ones. It's in my box upstairs and Pete is painting the hall and stairs at the moment. Only allowed up to use the bathroom. TTFN. Jean.

Old bull ring

Attachments

• Bull Ring.jpg
    Bull Ring.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 22
  • s .jpg
    s .jpg
    110 KB · Views: 22
  • Bull Ring 2.jpg
    Bull Ring 2.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Bull Ring 4.jpg
    Bull Ring 4.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Bull Ring 3.jpg
    Bull Ring 3.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 23
Astonite - I loved your postcards showing the old Bull Ring with the trams. Also the last Colmore Row one which showed Snow Hill Station (GWR) - it's a view of Colmore Row that I haven't seen before. What a great thread this is!

Last edited:
I know others have said the same thing but can I say a really big thanks to all of you who are showing these marvelous pictures. They are great, and most of them do stir up old memories of one sort and another. I really regret not having my own collection because during a conversation, someone always says " your wrong, that building was not there". In a lot of circumstances, I can now switch on my pooter and show them that I was right. Again, thanks a million and I hope you never run out of fresh pics to show us.

A few more of the City,

2 of The Bull Ring, 1 of the Council House, 1 of New Street and the last one of Corporation St.

Phil

City Bull Ring PC.jpgCity Birmingham Council House Postcard.jpgCity New St 1920c.jpg1960 Corporation St.jpgCity Bull Ring Market Hall.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. That sorts that out. I thught it was prewar, though the boy (with different hair !) could have been me 20 years or so later.
Mike

The most recent cards above carry this Thread on to get just better and better. It shows us what a wealth of great Post Cards were produced over the years. When I started this Thread I had no idea so many would appear and continue to do so. My own collection is coming to a close gradually with only a few cards from the 1960's and 70's still to come. Happily I can see the Thread going on for a lot longer with the postings from all of you supporting it so well. Thank you for that.
Mike

This 1960's offering shows a bit of civic pride by including the shield from the Brum Coat of Arms. (It's good to see the Arms back on the green painted dustcarts around the City even if they have forgotten to paint the wheels red as they used to be.

Attachments

• Birmingham.jpg
    Birmingham.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 16
A Few More

Attachments

• 1960 Corporation St.jpg
    1960 Corporation St.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Birmingham Bull Ring.jpg
    Birmingham Bull Ring.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Bull Ring PC Colour.jpg
    Bull Ring PC Colour.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 16
The new 1960's Bull Ring Centre has recently opened and to the far right just in view the scaffolding still shrouds the Rotunda.img108.jpg
My original view for this post.

Attachments

• City Bullring (2).jpg
    City Bullring (2).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
YAY Thats HIM KING KONG !! By the looks of the girls in front of him .. it looks just like the clothes Iused to wear in the 70,s :)
Awee he was luverly .
Jean

Jean

I think it was in the mid 70's when Mr kong spent the summer in Manzoni Gardens.

Phil

Last edited:
Three cards depicting that lovely suburban village of Bournville.

Phil

The Girls Gymnasium
Maryvale Rd
Lindon Rd.

Bourneville Girls Gymnasium.jpgBournvelle Maryvale Rd.jpgBournville Lindon Rd.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the Bull Ring the Rotunda has lost it's scaffolding and is there for all to marvel at..

img111.jpg

Attachments

• Bullring.jpg
    Bullring.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Still in the Bull Ring and, How fresh and clean everything looks.

img112.jpg

Attachments

• City Bull Ring & Rotunda Postcard.jpg
    City Bull Ring & Rotunda Postcard.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back out to the suburbs, four well known steeples. In no particular order.

Small Heath Library
Spring Hill Library
St Paul's Lozells
St Thomas Bath Row (now home to the Colonnades.

Phil

Small Heath Library.jpgSpring Hill Library.jpgSt Pauls Lozells.jpgSt Thomas.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the future and changes are to be seen in the '60's Bull Ring. The Centre itself is now looking a bit shabby along the top. A new block of flats has appeared on the skyline to the left and a new building has been started the left of the foot of the Rotunda. To the right of it the letters ABC have been added to the building on the Big Top site. To the right of that, Times Furniture have 'modernised' the style of their illuminated sign. All captured when you see Birmingham by Post Card!

Attachments

• Bullring.jpg
    Bullring.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 10
Back