• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Mike-although not a postcard view, here's an intriguing same-view spot of the Bull Ring from......when? The date says 1970, but I think its a Bull-ring in construction photo from 1964. The Ansells logo on the Rotunda is a deffo for your collection surely?

https//www.ribapix.com/image.php?i=32557&r=2&t=4&x=1

Mike-although not a postcard view, here's an intriguing same-view spot of the Bull Ring from......when? The date says 1970, but I think its a Bull-ring in construction photo from 1964. The Ansells logo on the Rotunda is a deffo for your collection surely?

https//www.ribapix.com/image.php?i=32557&r=2&t=4&x=1

Richie, Thank you for that one - a great pic. Would put it more at mid 1960's onwards before the Manns Beer ad appeared on the Bull Ring Centre. The Foden lorry was a bonus too.
Mike

When Corporation Street was built in the 1870's the intention was to give the appearance of a Paris boulevard. Looking at this mid 1950's view, if you cover up the Corporation buses and because it is so free of traffic it could almost be a Paris street.The flower seller there adds to the illusion. Could this have been taken on a Saturday morning before the shoppers got going. Did the man buying flowers cycle into town on that 3 wheeler bike or has he snapped up an early morning bargain for one of his kids? (looks a bit small for him). Notice as well nearly all the men here are wearing belted raincoats. How things have changed.

Attachments

• City Corporation St.jpg
    City Corporation St.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful photo! It brings back childhood memories for me. It must have been taken early on a Saturday I would think, because the shops were closed on Sundays and buses would have been running Sunday services.
There has been another picture on this site showing New Street packed with buses with the Town Hall in the background. I worked in Colmore Row in the early sixties and used the buses for transport, and that was how it was every evening, lines of buses, all full, standing room only. It's hard to imagine how the bus drivers coped with those crowded narrow streets during rush hour.
This is a great thread, keep it up people!
Spooner.

What about a look inside some of these wonderful old buildings.

1 Birmingham Art Gallery Industrial Hall
2 Bournville Girls Dining Room
3 Great Western Arcade.

Phil

Birmingham Art Gallery Industrial Hall .jpgBournville Girls Dining Room.jpgGreat Western Arcade.JPG

Last edited:
A mixed bag the first one is of Powell's Pool Sutton Park. I have many memories of perhaps picnicking on this very spot after a very warm Sunday spent walking and playing around the park.

The second one is of the Birmingham Super Prix my Grandmother lived right on the course and I could have got free tickets if I had wished, as it it not my bag I didn't bother. I remember that the noise was terrible. It was sad for Birmingham when it was discontinued.

The last one is of Priory Rd Edgbaston, having walked up and down this road many times when I was a lad. I have to say that I do not recognise it. I can only assume that it is the section between Bristol Rd and Pershore Rd.

Phil

Sutton Park Powells Pool .jpgBirmingham Super Prix .jpgEdgbaston Priory Rd .jpg

Last edited:
From the same series as my last Corporation Street card comes this one of Victoria Square with an interesting selection of vehicles.

Attachments

• Victoria Square.jpg
    Victoria Square.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Mike I am going to put pics of old Birmingham on this thread and Bham at war pics on a different thread.Is this the corect way to do it?

img061.jpgCorbetts Temperence Hotel and Joe Hillmans dining rooms at the top of hill St. and Pinfold St. It is the area where The Sweeps May Day used to take place here because it was the area where most of the towns sweeps lived. The Sweeps May Day was a degenerate relic of Morris Dancing. June 1887.

I have seen loads of postcards of last trams from various locations, but this is the only one I have seen denoted as the first tram from somewhere.

It is entitled the First Tram in Erdington and it is dated the 1st of March 1907.

Phil

Erdington 1st Tram 01.03.07..jpg

Last edited:
img064.jpg
This is the Hill St Pinfold St site during the construction of The Post Office in 1890

John it wasn't till I posted it on hear that I relised there was a man there. Take a look at the far right I'm sure I can see the ghostly figure of a man and I'm not into that sort of thing. I have the house address on the back and must sort it out. Wonder if the house is still standing?. Jean.

Mike I am going to put pics of old Birmingham on this thread and Bham at war pics on a different thread.Is this the corect way to do it?

Trev , Glad to see the pics have started. Was down Cheddar yesterday so only just picked up on your message. Keep em coming!.
Mike.

My next one is a 1960's view of Chamberlain Square (which may interest you for the lorry which I reckon could be a British Road Services Commer but not too sure about lorries).

Attachments

• City Chamberlain Square.JPG
    City Chamberlain Square.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 12
I have seen loads of postcards of last trams from various locations, but this is the only one I have seen denoted as the first tram from somewhere.

It is entitled the First Tram in Erdington and it is dated the 1st of March 1907.

Phil

Phil, did you miss my posting same tram, different card.
Mike

Moving swiftly on and its 1960's Chamberlain Square again but with the Town Hall in view. A splash of extra colour is provided by courtesy of the Midland Red.

Attachments

• Chamberlain Square.jpg
    Chamberlain Square.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 9
Mike

I had missed it, the trouble is, as I stated previously it getting hard to keep track of what has gone before. What it needs is some sort of an index at the start of the thread that can be kept up to date.

Phil

I'm intrigued by the 1960's Chamberlain Square one, particularly the wet wall and footprints leading from the fountain. Had someone just been for a paddle?

This woman is pushing her cart over Saturday Bridge, Summer Row in August 1901.It is said that the bridge got its namefrom the men who waited thereeach Saturday to be paid.

Attachments

• Hockley Summer Row Saturday Bridge 1901.JPG
    Hockley Summer Row Saturday Bridge 1901.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm intrigued by the 1960's Chamberlain Square one, particularly the wet wall and footprints leading from the fountain. Had someone just been for a paddle?

Well there's plenty of kids around, I know that I went for quite a few paddles in there on many a new years eve's in the 60's until they put a stop to it.

Phil

I'd like to say a big thank you once again for all these wonderful pic's of our home city. Compulsive viewing - and VERY nostalgic!.....Florence

Mike, Im a bit worried, well not woried, but a litlte concerned that these pictures I am posting are a litle bit too early. Let me know if you think the same. I have a Bartholomews Atlas and Street guide for Birmingham. 1952 if you want any street ref.

They do get more modern as we proceed.

Attachments

• City Cannon St 1892.jpg
    City Cannon St 1892.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 19
This is a page from my Street Atlas. If I can be of any use to you let me know.

One very cold night , walking on our way in to the city, from birmingham ice rink summer hill(sand pits), some pals & i actualy skated on that frozen fountain in chamberlain sq; just for kicks.

Some other nefarious deeds around the fountain in Chamberlain Square. I am a little disappointed that I do not feature in any of them as I was know to frequent the Square many new years eves during the sixties and mostly with a bottle of Fairy Liquid in my pocket.

I particularly like the last photo depicting the young chap on the left inspecting the pavement.

Phil

City Chamberlain Square 1960's New Years Eve .jpgCity Chamberlain Square 1970's New Years Eve.jpgCity Chamberlain Square New-Years-Eve-Celebrations 1968 -23[2].jpgCity Chamberlain Square 1967.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, Im a bit worried, well not woried, but a litlte concerned that these pictures I am posting are a litle bit too early. Let me know if you think the same. I have a Bartholomews Atlas and Street guide for Birmingham. 1952 if you want any street ref.

Thanks Trev, and regards pics, we had some older stuff at the start of this thread, the older views are welcome and worth seeing to compare the difference the years have made.
Mike.

My last couple of cards featured Chamberlain Place and fountain. Here is an early 1960's view of another fountain not so far away from there, by the Hall of Memory. Interesting here as well are the red brick buildings in the background which were soon to be demolished.

Attachments

• City Broad St Peace Gardens (2).jpg
    City Broad St Peace Gardens (2).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 18
Mike - another very interesting picture because it shows properties on the south (right-hand) side of Edmund Street still standing, although the University and other buildings had been cleared for the new library. You can still see part of the old library buildings in the picture, and the tiny yellowish place next door was the Hope and Anchor pub, a favourite of mine, although it was nothing like as handsome as the old Woodman round the corner.
It's quite timely to see this picture, now that Madin's 1960s lobrary uis about to be demolished and replaced. The last time I was in the local studies library on the top floor, we had to walk round all the buckets on the careet to catch the leaks from the flat roof! That's no good for an archive!
Peter

Hi Peter: Is it definite that Main Library is going to be demolished? Great if it is in my opinion. It really hasn't stood up over the years if they have buckets to catch the leaks!

John H.D. Madin seemed to be given a free hand to create "Concrete Brum" and ruin a lot of lovely Victoria and Edwardian buildings in the process. Many of his creations have been torn down including the Post & Mail, which I think personally should have remained. You can't please everyone, of course.

I typed out many letters at R,M. Douglas addressed to John H.D. Madin
during his hey day.

Looking at Chamberlain Place in this 1950's multiview, what an elegant building was lost to the present library. What will replace the library you have to wonder - could it be even worse? The rest of the views here all have an elegance about them that is now being overshadowed by the regular "improvements" to the City centre.

Attachments

• Birmingham.jpg
    Birmingham.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 11
  • City Chamberlain Square Birmingham & Midland Institute.jpg
    City Chamberlain Square Birmingham & Midland Institute.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 10
Back