• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sea cadets Birmingham

The Baron

master brummie
When I was thirteen I joined the sea cadets at Boldmere gate. Every Friday and Sunday morning we took part in activities including sailing and pulling (rowing - not birds) on Powels Pool. Thirty years later as an instructor in the sea cadets in Somerset I took groups of cadets to Sutton sea cadets for canoe training. All three of my children canoed or sailed there and I was full of telling them how I virtually lived in the park as a kid…

Hi your above para; made me look up this Photo taken of our eldest Granson being presented with a Rowing Cup of the Sea Cadets at Powles Pool a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall on my journey to school on the No 11 bus that we passed a Sea Cadet establishment in Acocks Green just down from the Railway station. I thought that was T.S. Vernon or is my memory playing tricks?

TS Dolphin is the old Cadets i was there in the late 60´s early 70´s moved dont know when to Ward End Park´, TS Stirling was /is at Shard End

I was a cadet on TS Leopard in Great Barr. Apparently, TS Vernon were our rivals (so I was told), they were good at all of the marching guard’s and sailing stuff. I did spend a weekend training course with some of the cadets from TS Dolphin, they had a super commando team.

My naval career was quickly sunk once I realised that my expectation of becoming an officer after the first week and admiral by the second in the navy were a little over ambitious.

T/S VERNON was on Edgbaston Resevoir mate. I was there for two years. Then funnily enough...I joined the Guards!
TS Vernon was at gas st basin birmingham we then moved to Edgbaston reservoir was at the laying of the first stone by the Lord Mayor yes we had a good guard a good band.and rowers in the ASC and Wealers

I was a cadet on TS Leopard in Great Barr. Apparently, TS Vernon were our rivals (so I was told), they were good at all of the marching guard’s and sailing stuff. I did spend a weekend training course with some of the cadets from TS Dolphin, they had a super commando team.

My naval career was quickly sunk once I realised that my expectation of becoming an officer after the first week and admiral by the second in the navy were a little over ambitious.
T S Vernon,We use to practice by pulling buckets behind the boats or by towing another boat behind with people in it the guard was disciplined by Phil Stroud we even done a silent parade the only thing you heard was a sh sh before the next manoeuvre Ts Dolphin commando team was ok but second best to TS Sherborne who competed the Ten tors on Dartmoor

T S Vernon,We use to practice by pulling buckets behind the boats or by towing another boat behind with people in it the guard was disciplined by Phil Stroud we even done a silent parade the only thing you heard was a sh sh before the next manoeuvre Ts Dolphin commando team was ok but second best to TS Sherborne who competed the Ten tors on Dartmoor
TS/Vernon: John Henry from Great Barr was our instructor.

Back