• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

School Dinners P/F Green tickets

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:D Who out there had "SCHOOL DINNERS" :roll:. My family did, and as if that was not bad enough our tickets had a big " F " on them. I do not blame my folks for this, but why did " THEY" have to let it be known that some people could not afford to feed their kids. My dad was almost blind so if any laying off had to be done he was always one of the first to go. No work, no money unless you could get on the "Panel" and that could be so degrading and really hard to get. Back to "SCHOOL DINNERS" we also got them in the school hol's. My brother, sister and myself would walk every week day (not weekends) of the hol's from Great Lister to either Upper Thomas St, Charlie Arther, or Elliott St Schools for our midday meal along with many many others. Moseley Rd was another school we ate at when we lived in Ballsil Heath. There was a short fat bad temperd lady who seemed to be in charge where ever we went, she used to ride a bike and kids were always letting down her tyers :lol:. We did have lots of fun though and made lots of short term friends. And we were able to go and visit our Nan, and some of our Aunties after dinner as they lived in Park Lane & Tower Rd :madeyes:

misc

we had free dinners also during the holidays we went to Albert Road school it was always a long walk and not many children were there it seemed a lonely place not knowing some of the kids that had also come from different areas I can not remember it bothering me that they were free it was nice to get a hot meal mind you by the time you walked home the pangs of hunger would start to come back and the food was quite decent as far as I can remember except for the salads it seemed that every think was mixed in with this mess

:D Don't get me wrong, it did not bother me. But it did bother my Mother a lot, she would tell us to hide our tickets so no one would know, but when we got to the school the woman in charge would make us stand in two lines Free and Pay. I think that was so she would not have the job of sorting them out after we had all gone. When I was at Priestley Smith School for short sighted kids in Erdington, the school dinners were great as the were cooked at one of the three schools in the complex ( there was a cripple school & a deaf school also) not sent by the dark blue cuoncil van like most of the others :madeyes: .

school dinners

I thought dinners at school were brilliant, Burlington Street dinner ladies did a grand job. I used to have free dinners for a while, it didnt bother me one way or the other.

The meals at UTS were dreadful, really dreadful!!!! Fridays were the worst, it was always FISH, I suppose because of some religous belief!! Fish covered in a white sticky mess which resembled wall paper paste? I still wont eat Parsley Sauce :shock:

School Dinners

I also had school dinners because my mother worked full time. I remember the school kitchens being built at Burlington Street, and the headteacher asking us to tell our mothers to contact her if they wanted a job. The first dinner ladies I recall were Mrs. Lewis and Mrs. Farmer who
were amongst the first six or so.

I really hated frogs spawn (sago) and semolina.

My son hated - Chocolate Concrete-I never had that!!!

https://aston.reactor-overload.net/viewtopic.php?p=1015#1015
click here for recipes that include Chocolate Concrete

Naughty Boy!

Did the good looks come after the incident with the spoon Dick ? :iccle-angel:

We had a teacher at Burlington Street who perhaps I should leave nameless for legal reasons you understand? She was a living nightmare and I could do nothing right for her. I loved my grub!! still do, but days she was on dinner duty I would get indigestion before eating. Some things you just had to go back for seconds if there was any, when she was on I never got a look in. This forum is not a place I can express my true feelings for such a women.

MMMmmm

Hump...... this is most probably matted hair? you can fix this by brushing regularly.
Left Eye..... I like winking at girls too!!
Pointing at you..... Well this is because since you joined these forums you have become something of a celebrity! People obviously can't believe their eyes when they see you Dick!!!!

School dinners

Well guys school dinners was enough to give anyone the hump particularly if you had to queue up every monday morning in the FREE DINNER line.
Although it was embarrasing, I really don't think my family would have survived without them. I went to St Annes and also travelled from one school to another all through the holidays for my free feed. I think one of the schools was up Heneage St way.
I do remember having hot beetroot at one of these schools and peas that were like bullets......yes Rod I remember that yukky white sauce on the fish .......and what about the bones!!!! :P

Much worse than the school free dinners was having to wear those awful mail shoes that where doled out if your family was suffering hardship. I hated them. I only have a size four shoe now, so no wonder I always felt as though I was wearing clogs. To this day I am a shopaholic regarding shoes and yes I always buy nice fancy ones.

Argghh The Bones were dreadful were they not? I refuse fish even now if I see any bones I wont eat it!!

School Meals & Hob Nail Boots

Right I'm still working through each page as I've not been on board for long and I have now arrived at School Dinners

Well I still love Rice, Sago & Semolina, Bread Pudding, Bread & Butter Pudding & Treacle Tart.
Salmon & Shrimp Paste & Sardine & Tomato Paste.
Dripping Cakes, all of these I had in my school days. :lol:
Mother was a Dinner Lady at Cowper Street school and we done well.
I aslo loved my Hob Nail Boots.

I used to love school dinners, to be honest for the most part they were far better than what we got at home
I don't think we ever had free meals, our mum used to give us the money to pay for the week's meals on monday morning and when you handed the money to the teacher you were given five dinner tickets.
I remember the price being 3/9d and then going up to five bob
Now the problem was that giving five bob to a young kid was too much temptation for a lot of us and often the dinner money would be spent in the sweetshop on the way to school on monday morning and there'd be a lot of hungry kids wandering around the playground for the rest of the week :wink:

School Dinners.

My elder brother John had them once until he told Mom how they made him stand in a seperate queue while the Teacher took the money off the 'Paying' ones first.
Mom vowed there and then her children would never be humilated again so she stopped us all having them..
To be honest during Dads illness when money was really tight I used to almost cry with hunger when I smelled the food being passed out at Lunchtime.
Mom used to give us two slices of Mothers pride back then, one we ate with our milk at breakfast the other we saved for lunch..
Jammy dodgers and Wagon wheels were things of unheard luxury to us older Robinsons and on the love I have for my children I dont think I had more that 5 in all my years at school.
Sniff...we wuz poor...but we were ravenous..

Alf...(alien life form)

Ladies and Gentlemen...

We have our first snob amongst us..
Hob nail boots indeed..
The only thing I had 'hob nailed' was my underpants.

Colander

:shock: Yo Kandor M8, we should buy that Tough Guy Alf a pint or two,
:twisted: Think Colander :lol:

Nice One Alf M8 or should that be Twenty :?:

Topic Return

School dinners were alright, no probs at Juniors (Cowper St) most of Us were "Different Colour" tickets, got a bit "inferiority complex building" as a" Grammar Grub" Oh how the Posh (Paid for) Suttonites used to smirk,, used to be Royal-tea "doncha knowe", Hey just had to take it, Tooo many Canes & Detentions for boppin em,, There were a "Valiant Few" of us freebie kids so wasn,t alone but It still rankles a bit,, Grrrrh, Steady Boy, :twisted:

:lol: The dinner Ladies were Great, they knew your ticket & dolloped Extras & Seconds, Bless em :wink:

Dinner Ladies Cowper Street

Glad to say John that my Mother was a Dinner lady in the war year when were you there :?:

A Twinkle

:wink: Hi Alf, Think I was a Twinkle in my Mothers eye during them War years,,,,, Didn,t attend Cowper St until 1953,, infants 1st,
But your Mom must have Trained some of them lovely Ladies because if
They was All as good as her then they & Her were BRILLIANT :D
Many thanks to Your Mom & All them Luverly "Dinner Ladies" xxxx

I think I used to go home (as I lived round the corner from Burlington St)
but I have a real memory of feeling 'starving' after P.E. in the playground, and coming into the hall at Burlington St (where they used to serve the dinners?) ...
and smelling the food and thinking how nice it smelled.

It did smell nice didnt it? I loved the taste of most of the food except Cheese Pie, back then I wasnt a lover of cheese.

Same here Rod but I can manage a Mild Cheese & Onion Sandwich now in fact had one yesterday :)

That stirred my memory and my taste buds, I love cheese; we used to have the most lovley cheese and potoato pie, as an alternative tio the Friday fish. :D

Di we have that every other Saturday the other Sats we have Corned Beef & Potatoe Pie, lovely Grub ^-^

Alf I adore cheese now as long as it's good quality, and STRONG in fact the stronger the better.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I wasnt too keen on the meals at Upper Thomas Street? I still think the cooks were taught how to cook alongside those studying the black arts. Watery Mash with little hard lumps in it, what was that all about? The Fish I mentioned!! and Parsley Sauce how can you take ingredients more natural than Fresh Parsley and Milk and turn them into something so ghastly it would later be sold as Nitromoors Paint Stripper? Why was we required to eat fish on Fridays anyway? I'm sure it was a devious ploy to turn us non Catholics into stone. Does all this sound over the top?  :o ;D I will eat fish now, but it has to be on my terms......  STRICTLY NO BONES NOT EVEN ONE WHICH IS MICROSCOPIC OR HAIRLIKE, NO BOILED FISH, NO PAINT STRIPPER EITHER. Thank goodness for Tuna, and Mackeral  :crazy2:

Some people still do Rod, for instance my former Sister in law :-X :o

i can remember those you got boots socks shirt long pants in winter short in summer and a jumper ahhh the good old day haha
Much worse than the school free dinners was having to wear those awful mail shoes that where doled out if your family was suffering hardship. I hated them. I only have a size four shoe now, so no wonder I always felt as though I was wearing clogs. To this day I am a shopaholic regarding shoes and yes I always buy nice fancy ones.

Hi Kiwi i remember the F tickets but i love fridays lunch i was at Bishop Challenor Cath School so friday was fish and chip and chocolate concrete (shortcake)would always be late back from sport and we could eat as much as we wanted haha
:D Who out there had "SCHOOL DINNERS" :roll:. My family did, and as if that was not bad enough our tickets had a big " F " on them. I do not blame my folks for this, but why did " THEY" have to let it be known that some people could not afford to feed their kids. My dad was almost blind so if any laying off had to be done he was always one of the first to go. No work, no money unless you could get on the "Panel" and that could be so degrading and really hard to get. Back to "SCHOOL DINNERS" we also got them in the school hol's. My brother, sister and myself would walk every week day (not weekends) of the hol's from Great Lister to either Upper Thomas St, Charlie Arther, or Elliott St Schools for our midday meal along with many many others. Moseley Rd was another school we ate at when we lived in Ballsil Heath. There was a short fat bad temperd lady who seemed to be in charge where ever we went, she used to ride a bike and kids were always letting down her tyers :lol:. We did have lots of fun though and made lots of short term friends. And we were able to go and visit our Nan, and some of our Aunties after dinner as they lived in Park Lane & Tower Rd :madeyes:

Hi Pom i had free school meals at Rea Street, in the holidays we could go in to school to the small dining hall,or we could take
our ticket to the Great British Restaurant in Gooch St, opposite Conybere St, thats where i usually went, it was less embarrassing there than in school lol

Back