• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

School dentist

A

angie

Does anyone recall the Polish dentist,that was down from the central fire station,cant remember the road,but there was a Victorian pub on the corner.
Anyone remember his name,going back to the early 70s now. :idiot2:

Angie I don't know the name of the dentist, but the pub maybe the Ben Johnson on the corner of Staniforth Street and Aston Road. The pub had another name before the BJ, I'm not sure but it may have been something like King Edward ???

Now Angie,
Just put us in the picture about the Polish Dentist
and School Dentist's??
When I was at school,in (the dark ages)
we never had school dentist's ??? :(

Well Dennis,years ago when i was at Vauxhall Gardens primary school,this was where we had to go to get our teeth sorted.
As a child i would never go to the dentist,because of this Polish man,he frit me to death,and he was quite brutal,so you see he has always stuck in my mind. :argh:
Someone out there must remember him,or was it a very bad nightmare :(

Ps I love going to the dentist now,only because he is rather handsom ::)

My mom has just informed me that the dentists were part of a childrens clinic,she remembers kids going there with diferent conditions inc headlice :idiot2:

Ps it was the King Edward pub.

In the dark ages  ;) we had a school dentist in Albert Road. The dentist was a lady, she wasn't English either and I was petrified of her. She took 2 of my milk teeth out, nothing wrong with them, but she said my jaw was overcrowded? Two more teeth grew there and are there still. :eek:

dennis said:
Now Angie,
Just put us in the picture about the Polish Dentist
and School Dentist's??
When I was at school,in (the dark ages)
we never had school dentist's ??? :(

Dark ages Dennis we had a Dentist but laughing gas I think they were doing trials on us :crazy2:

angie said:
My mom has just informed me that the dentists were part of a childrens clinic...
there was a children's clinic just down from the fire station, or coming the other way, from Newtown, Aston, on the right-hand side.
Mom used to call it The Welfare...
I remember going there with mom when either my younger brother or sister was weighed there (in one of those swinging chair things)...
I think they used to give you that orange juice too.

It had a dark slate roof I think, and may have been red brick and detached with a wall or metal fence round....

and I think a dentist was based there..

Hi Di i must be of stone age , be cause i too went to albert road dentist and i recall very well in fact my other brother , dave , and my sister pauline went there with me , and i was very shaking and rock and rolling , , she told me to look after my tooties other wise by the time i reach 25 years old i would hav falsies , proved her wrong ,, i,ve got all my own nashers , and all my own hair , i,ve got a good mop of hair , and my kids think i,ve got a topper { A WIG] my kids are in the thirties and bald . best wishes astonian ,;;;;;;

At Burlington St School we would have someone come check our teeth at about once a year, oh how l hated it as l always got a note to take home to get sighned, l'd plead with my mom not to sign it ,but of course she always did, and of course that would mean a trip to Albert Road clinic, does anyone remember the waiting room there! we would sit on benches and as one patient went through the door we would all move up one untill it was our turn. Di l had the same lady dentist as you and she left a lasting impression on me for life, l've always said walking into that dentist room was more like medievil torture, l had 5 teeth pulled at once (baby teeth) and l swear l felt everyone being yanked out, they would give us gas but that day they must a run low, what ever it was l've always been scared of dentists ever since , and will only go if l had to, l had such a bad experience at Albert Road clinic it ha stayed with for life. Brenda.

After reading these posts i have to ask is there such a thing as a good experience when going to the dentist? All these years on and it still holds the same terror, so much for progress.

Not a story related to Brum but where I now live but related to the school dentist.
Every Christmas Eve my wife and I have always had our neighbours in for a meal and drinks.
Many years ago prior to their arrival I started pigging on the nuts.  Bingo of course I cracked my tooth and Christmas did not look too good with the pain I was experiencing.
One of neighbours was a school dentist and on arrival he put me into his car and took me to the local school where he had a surgery.
Now here was I balancing on a kiddies size dental chair and he apologising for not wearing a white coat.
I explained to him this was battle field conditions and to hoot with a white coat.
Was very pleased that he recalled the adult dosage of the numbing agent and did not give me a kiddies portion.
Result:  Temporary repair and Christmas saved.
One downside: On our return to the festivities nuts were off my menu but he did say the Scotch would help remove the numbness of my mouth...... ;D Will.

PUTTING A TOOTH IN IT .
ST.APPOLLONIA IS THE PATRON SAINT OF DENTISTS.
WHEN MARTYRED BYTHE ROMANS SHE;D ALL HER TEETH KNOCKED OUT.

Astonian, thanks for that bit of information, doing family research we found an Appollonia in Ray's tree, we wondered where it came from, thought it might have been from Greek mythology, now we know.

Talking about Dentists & Teeth.

My 17 year old lost a filling last Sunday and had to leave his part time job to be taken to the hospital, they checked it and sent him home to take a Paracetamol Tablet. Needless to say the poor lad was in agony over night and could only get a Dentist at 3.45pm next day, it cost him #55 pounds to take it out or 75 pounds for a filling he had it out.
Why did I pay National Insurance all those years.

Alf, I always thought children up to the age of 18 were entitled to free dental treatment - wrong again if your parents are English and have always paid their NI contributions.

I did Sylvia till last week but I will question it don't you fear. Let you know the result

ALF, TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YA , the best way to cure toothache is to prevent it . Always have your teeth filled, before they decay, Or extracted ,if they can,t be saved -- before they start giving you pain . ;;;

Back