• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother in law, lovely woman god bless her soul when she was getting on and would stand up to go somewhere would pass wind noisely and say oops ark at me.

Nan was more likely to say ark at er! She also recited, Where ere you be, let your wind go free, for holding my wind, was the death of me. Her dad used to pharp! God Save The Queen, every morning coming downstairs, much to her mother's disgust.

Is that pumping Baz in Brummie? When I started work the lad I worked with said guffed. I never heard of that one. Auntie whom Nan said she thought herself as posh, said trumped. I used to snigger when we played cards and she said trumped.

When my wife was at school her and her freinds used to call it dropping a clanger. By the way nico didn,t they have someone on the james whale show trumping a tune.

Happy paddies day to you nico and to everyone. That soda bread will soon get you trumping. Regards nijinski.

Thank You Nij. It is snowing here. Is that you Baz that I saw coming out of Hairnets R US? Chocks sorted me out with the abbreviations. Nico

When my mom (Timmins) married my dad (Taylor). She was told 'If you change your name but not the letter, you change for worse and not for better'. This wasnt the case though as they had been happily married 38 years when my dad passed away in 1975.

My friend's Welsh dad was called Winteur. Her mum says she used have winter all year round. I was told by a friend who'se initials are BB that it is lucky to have the same initials. A whistling woman and a crowing hen is of no use to God nor men. If someone called me by my surname Nan would shout is names got an ondle to it. (handle).
I have a friend called Caroline Taylor too. Nico

Dad would say, thought thought he was following a wedding but was only following a muck cart.

Or if we said she he would say who's she the cats mother.

That was good to read that again, Grandad used to say the muck cart one. He explained what a muck cart was though they had one when I was little when we stayed in a caravan in Weymouth. They used to empty the tin loos whilst having breakfast..
Nan used to say the cat's mother too. And of The Old Cat pub bus stop in Stourbridge, The Old Cat yer mother in law. Or if a woman had drawstring waist, er looks like a bag of erm...... tied up ugly.Or er ferce us stop a clock. Big teeth - Give her tayth back to the 'oss or if a lady had large feet, hers 'oofy. Or bow legged, her core stap a pig in an entry.
Flat chested, 2 poached eggs. Tree trunk legs, pianner legs, not sure what those are. Very critical was nan. Nico

My Dad used to say of someone cunning....They are as cunning as a cart load of monkeys. IF someone said something daft (they are yampey)...... Does anyone still have a chuckie egg for breakfast?

Warm winter full churchyard. Or a crakey gate hangs well. Have you mucked yer ticket?
If a man was accused of infidelity Nan would say , eez bin dippin is wick somewhere else. I would love to post her remedy for not getting pregnant but as she would have said, I darsen't!

And FannyAnne or Fan Anne. And Fairy Ellen ( A chargehand) and Fanny By Gaslight (Dad) . Dickey Doo Da for a willy (Nan)

I'm alright Jack pull down the ladder, = someone who thinks only of themsleves.
Nan would say, of our neighbour, She's John Bull, = she says what she means or er dow baulk 'er fancy = she doesn't care what she says, or he's never known to knock = he never says no to anything offered to him.

I've just been reading this old thread.
When anyone was dressed up to go out Mom would say "I suppose they're off out cavorting".
rosie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back