• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of my favourites ever "if brains was dynamite yo 'ouldn't 'ave enough to blow yer 'at orf" ...........
Love it!
If some one said they could play this and that like a piano or a guitar Nan would say, ar, an they can play their trap!
Or of ladies with a large mouth and lips, if 'er xxxxx (unprintable but rhymes with granny) is as big as 'er gob, gawd 'elp 'er old mon!
My Cov Gran would say of clicky people, them two are as thick as xxxx rhymes with grit.

One of grandad's was, If I said I thought it was something. He would say, you know what Thought di don't ya? He though ee 'ad an' ee adn't!

the cuffs of your jacket used to go stiff because you wiped your nose on them, well mine did!!!

Aaah. Visited my mate's Dublin dad he was a bit down, he said I am like what me auld ma used to say, I'm like the cockle man when the tide comes in, I'm bxllxxed. The he said another one of hers, time tide and diorreah wait for no man. Never heard those before.

We used snotrag a lot growing up in Dublin too but its a rarely heard word now. The trouble now is that the younger generation and many of the older ones too have embraced "Americanisms" into their everyday speak which in my opinion is a great pity....

Simon

Never heard of that oustide school, we always said hanky. Have to say I much prefer it.
Our headmistress Miss Jones in the enfants was a dragon. We were all scared of her, the teachers didn't like her either. She had a random handkerchief check at morning assemblies but when I was 5/6 the teacher of that year, Mrs Davies always pre warned us and kept a box of tissues handy and doled them out. I always wriggled to the back or preteneded it wouldn't come out of my pocket. Or you had to walk the walk of shame to the front of the school and be humiliated. I thought that most unfair for children of our age.

Humiliation was the order of the day I think, Nico. I got into trouble once, domestic stuff, but mother had to tell the headmistress (although I shall never know why), and it was announced all over the school by the maths teacher and the headmistress. We could wear anything blue and white, any shade, but getting three dresses in my size (I am a bit on the short side) was quite difficult at that time so I had to settle for one which had a tiny bit of red in between the blue and white, just here and there. I was singled out in the hall after assembly, despite it being not my fault. I am so glad those days are gone.

Yes Shortie, but there is no punishment at all now it has gone the other way. If we talked after the whitsle went or if we were late, again in the enfants and also the juniors we had to stand at the entrance and be stared at by every child in the school and evry teacher. Some teachers made snide remarks. But one, Mrs White whom everybody left always said, what lovely pictures are standing hear today, and smiled. She had a victory roll and wore a twinset and tweed skrts. She always made it less painful for me (I was always talking and the humiliation never stopped me doing it). I had a very short memory span for punishment. When it was my turn to progress in to Mrs White's class she wwnt and retired. And I had the same dragon again for another year. Shortie I was tall but it made you stand out.

Hanker pock comes to mind, don't know why? And I meant to say everyone loved Mrs White. I am too tired and too cold.

Nico, l thought all my teachers wore twin sets and tweed skirts, they did at my school Burlington st sch for girls.....it was more like a uniform, some even wore brough shoes too...and just about everyone was a miss too....Brenda

Yes Brenda, very few didn't wear tweeds and tricel twinsets. One had a tweed suit and a moustache, one had long kick pleats which accentuated her Her Flick of zee Gestapo type pronounced limp, she also had a purple tongue. but she was nice. One picked on my Dublin mate and made his stammer worse. He was sent to speech therapy till his mum explained that is how Irish people pronounce words over there. Another lad had a Londony accent and used to cry as he also was told he had a speech impediment. All this from a snot rag! Did you have pump bags? Do they say pumps now?

Did anyone ever hear the saying 'Brahma'. For example, if there had been a fight, someone would say he gave him a right brahma, or if someone was dressed not very good, they say they look a right brahma.

Did anyone ever hear the saying 'Brahma'. For example, if there had been a fight, someone would say he gave him a right brahma, or if someone was dressed not very good, they say they look a right brahma.
Happy New Year Carolina and all.
Yes, what a brahma my ex boss used to say, if someting was very funny (as he thought) or if something went txts up (wonder where that comes from?) or someone put there foot in it. He came from Ramsgate.
I just had to try and explain to a non native the pish up in a brewery expression. Grandad's colleague used to say very similar but the building was a knocking shop. Or they would say like a nun in a knockin shop if something was rare.

I don't know if anyone has said this one."don't have two ha'pennies to rub together". Something my family experienced a few times when I was a child

I have always believed that this saying - as "Bramah"- came from the name of a Yorkshire engineer/inventor who was famous in the field of hydraulic engineering and, especially, the manufacture of high quality locks. The latter are mentioned in Dickens and elsewhere. So the term was used to denote excellence, high quality etc. No doubt its use has stretched a bit over the years but I imagine that "a right Bramah" still meant a pretty good doing over!

I'm sure the full Oxford English Dictionary would tell us more.

And nijinski's two ha'pennies is certainly familiar as well.

Chris

I don't know if anyone has said this one."don't have two ha'pennies to rub together". Something my family experienced a few times when I was a child
Nan would say when she got married they didn't have two PENNY ha'penny's then as you say, Nij, to rub together.My mate's Dublin Gran used to say to us when we were going off to the pub, you keep your hand on your h'apenny, and you'll be alright, but if you can't, don't call it Maggie! Nan also said they didn't have two brass farthings.
On another note when going to the loo Nan would say I'm just off to do what you can't do for me, or I am gooin to the tilsyetty!

I have always believed that this saying - as "Bramah"- came from the name of a Yorkshire engineer/inventor who was famous in the field of hydraulic engineering and, especially, the manufacture of high quality locks. The latter are mentioned in Dickens and elsewhere. So the term was used to denote excellence, high quality etc. No doubt its use has stretched a bit over the years but I imagine that "a right Bramah" still meant a pretty good doing over!

I'm sure the full Oxford English Dictionary would tell us more.

And nijinski's two ha'pennies is certainly familiar as well.

Chris
I will look in Nan's Blackie's shilling Dictionary now.
Nico

Nan saved her thruppeny bits in a little wooden black box with a money slot. For the cock for Christmas dinner. She called it her cock money and would cackle like a chicken, when she said it ,But I was innocent then thank the Lord.
When It was heavy rain she would sort of sing, Lord help a sailor on a night like this.

Two things I remember we used to say. "Where ya bin ?", "There an' back ter see 'ow far it is !" and (this may have originated on a radio show), "I've arrived, and to prove it I'm 'ere !"

Two things I remember we used to say. "Where ya bin ?", "There an' back ter see 'ow far it is !" and (this may have originated on a radio show), "I've arrived, and to prove it I'm 'ere !"
Double hairnet weather again Baz.Nan said her Kinver mother in law used to say, what yow waaant, yow moost waaant soomat. And when her coal was delivered she would say, type it eer. And never mind yer mother suck yer orange, and naughty Nan would swap the words orange and mother around!
Giz it ere. Gooz oonder. And ee thinks the moon wuz merd (made) o green cheese?

My Father used to say, 'he or she was yampy' or a 'yampot'

My Father used to say, 'he or she was yampy' or a 'yampot'
Nan used to say yampy too or Half soaked or just plain ruddy saft or off his chump. I have also heard barn pot. I like eegit or half eegit. I used to work in a predominantly Irish bar, where I also got called a gobshyte. An Irish girl caledl called me something like a fair stropera. I think that was a compliment maybe? I also picked up words for drunk like langers locked and sto-shyus and fluted. And I'm off to the Jacks. Nan would say 3 sheets to the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back