• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

salutation/alma tavern.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. would any one have any pics of the salutation pub and the alma tavern please that were in alma street. thanks. wales

No luck but I do have a Dewdrop Stores Off-Licence at a junction of Alma Street. Will send it if you want it. The 2 pubs are on my list but no photos.

Last edited:
I have a picture of the Salutation but at the moment I can't post pictures for some reason. :(:'(

Wales

These might do until Postie gets his mojo working, you know it might be best if you just published a list of the pubs that you want. Then we could see what we could come up with between us all.

Phil

AstonSalutationInnAlmaStAston.jpg
AstonAlmaTavernAlmaStAston.jpg

thanks ever so for them phil. the only pub i am desperate to ge hold of (and i think you all know this) is my beloved vine inn that was in villa street. demolished 1978. i live in hope wales.

thanks dave. got that one. still looking for the vine inn and the villa tavern that was in vlla street hockley. wales.

Re Salutation Alma Street Aston, We lived opposite the pub and I had a part-time job as barman.
happy memories of darts and domino nights played upstairs over the bar.
Thanks for jogging my memory. Sid Walker.

hi sid...great to have someone who lived in alma st on the forum...there are a pics of the street on alma st thread and if you have any photos of the area we would love to see them...

lyn

Nice pic. Excuse my ignorance and rotten memory, but what is/was the street behind the pub, where the bus is?

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee

I believe it is High St and Alma St at six ways Junction and goes back to abt 1860.

Stars

Hi Lyn
I think you are right, i am just reading it says on the other side of Alma st is the Alma Tavern. So what is this pup called in Alma st.
I can see Alma St sign on the wall.
Thanks for your help Lyn

well at least you have glasses stars..i need them lol..if you go to your post 379 on the ASTON PICS thread you can just see the royal exchange behind the 33 bus...

Re Salutation Alma Street Aston, We lived opposite the pub and I had a part-time job as barman.
I lived there between 1958 and 1967. My parents were Elsie and Arthur Symcox

Hi Lyn
I think you are right, i am just reading it says on the other side of Alma st is the Alma Tavern. So what is this pup called in Alma st.
I can see Alma St sign on the wall.
Thanks for your help Lyn
It was called the Salutation Inn . My parents were Elsie and Arthur Symcox who ran it between 1958 and 1967

welcome surons...do you have any photos of the sally as there should be one or two somewhere on the forum

lyn

I lived there with my parents Elsie and Arthur Symcox between 1958 and 1967

thats great thank you....i think there should be a couple of the pub on the alma street thread....

lyn

Copied from post 670, Pubs of the past thread/
Another thread:

View attachment 132411
Copied from post 670, Pubs of the past thread/
Another thread:
I lived there with my parents Elsie and Arthur Symcox between 1958 and 1967

here is another one of the sally...click on link below to take you to the alma street thread which you may find of interest

lyn

Hi Sid can you remember when you worked at the Sally regards Sue

Back