• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Salutation Public House, Alma Street.

J4cto

Hi -can anyone tell me anything about this pub please. All I know is my great grandparents lived next door approx. 1910/20 in the back to back houses. I understand that some swaping of birth certificates went on in order for my mum's aunts to appear the correct age to work behind the bar!!! I also suspect a family member to have been the main publican. Any memories/ pointers to books or links appreciated. Many thanks Jackie.

hi j4cto if you go to the alma street thread there are quite a few photos of the street including one of the salutation pub...it shows the houses next door and also an entry which would have led to back house where your gt grandparents lived...hope you find this of help

lyn

hi pol yes that the pic i was on about..on post 111...

jackie if you think your rellies may have run the sally at some point you could always ask for a look up..im sure someone like mike would be able to help with that providing you give us the rellies name...

welcome to the forum...

lyn

Hi Jackie
I hope you can help me????? My Gt Grandfather ran the Sally in Alma Street. His name was James Curley and his wife was Gurtrude. Not sure of specific dates but it was approx 1920 to the late 1940's even early 1950???? My grandfather Tom was a stand up comedian and my dad spent happy days there with his cousins Maurice and Jimmy as kids. Jimmy lost an eye playing darts with Maurice when they were kids in the 40's!!!!

Hi Luluco and Jackie
Hope you don’t mind me responding to this query, but am awake so thought I would have a look.
James, Gertrude, James Marcus and John Thomas Curley appeared first at the Salutation Inn 30 Alma Street on the 1939 Electoral Roll. James and Gertrude are still there on the 45/46/47/50 Roll with a John T also on the 50 Roll and there is a John T and a Leslie D Curley at 30 Salterton Place, Alma Street on the 1947 Roll. Prior to 1939 I have found James and Gertrude at 9 court 1 St Andrews Road, St Bartholomews Ward in 1927 and 15 Wash Lane Yardley Ward in 1930.

Last edited:
Hi Bewdley
Thanks for your reply. I have researched the electoral rolls and have this info, but I thank you again for taking the time to post the accurate dates for the Curley family at the Sally Inn. John (my G Father) and his brother Leslie are listed at Salterton Place, I assumed it was part of the living accom' for the Sally?
I am hoping somebody has a memory of the Curleys, especially my G Father John (known as Tom Curley) who was a member of the Aston Artistes Club for performers?

My parents took over this pub in June 1950 shortly after their wedding I was born in August 1952 and we left there I think probably in 1955/56 when I was about 4

Back