• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

rocky lane island

hello john, liked your pics of nechells, could,nt bring the school up though, i enjoy reading all the little anecdotes on nechells, i have happy memories, do,s anyone remember the the guy on the motorbike who ran under the wheel of the number 8 bus just as it pulled into the bus stop outside anthonys?? around 5-30, 6pm, very gruesome, your name seems familier to me, i lived in nechells most of my life till about 18, cromwell street then charlie, tom.

To 'Tomy 0121' -- I remember the 'Beehive' pub well, I worked as a barman there in mid 1950's the licencees were Fred and Dolly Turner, this was when the Nechells flats were being built just down the road, the first in Birmingham, I believe, nearly all the construction workers were from Ireland and many used the Beehive after work, one of their most popular drinks were a mixture of Guiness and Cider, I Think they called it 'Black Velvet' and after a few had been consumed arguements led to fights, on one occasion one man bit anothers ear off, the victim ran out of the pub and jumped on a No8 bus that had stopped outside the door, one of his mates saw the ear on the floor, picked it up and ran out after him, but was too late, the bus had moved off! this fellow then got on the next bus, still holding his pal's ear, and to this day I still have'nt found out what happened next, anyone tell me? Don Clive

Derek, they are from the book IMAGES OF ENGLAND SERIES. -THE INNER CIRCLE -BIRMINGHAMS NO 8 BUS ROUTE.
great pictures, i lived in one of those victorian villas in the mid 50s, you may be right about being in the vicinity of the coke works, me and my brother used to have to fetch a bag of coal from saltley pushing it back up the steep hill, ive never had a cold in my life.

Back