• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ridpool Road Schools Lea Village Girls Secondary Modern

Hi Linda I remember you well probably a year older than me but you must know the Deathridges I was In Jessie Deathridge and Geraldean Greaves, Diane Proud, Jean Carol and Elizabeth Taylor Miss Beardsmore took us for French. I lived in Hurstcroft Road by Susan Moon and others do you remember me Angela Preen?

Hi, I attended lea village 1961/65 and remember all the teachers you mentioned. I remember smashing Miss Josty,s windscreen with a ball when we where playing rounders. You were probably a year ahead of me, my maiden name was Griffiths [ Linda].

Angela I do vaguely, I am better with faces than names,but the names you have mentioned all ring a bell. The teacher who we had for french was not Beardsmore,Iwill have to ask my mate Jaquline [Bostock] she will know. We are always remonicing about school as we sometimes see someone from the good old days. Nice to here from you.

Hi to all lea Village & Ridpool writers .
You all at some stage come to my shop my shop on the corner CAROL'STOY SHOP I remember lots of your surnames in particular
Vietch, I thank all of you and your families for you custom, god bless.

As I used to live on the corner of Hallmoor Road and Hurstcroft I used to pass this shop every day. I remember around xmas time looking throuigh the window at the Hornby train set that I wanted, that and all the other toys.

Hi Linda, Just came across this site and was so surprised to see a name I recognised. I was in your class at one stage, and I remember you as being the fun, funky girl with dark curly hair that sat up the front. I think you were with Lynne Blackburn and a girl named Anita ? I know Lynne and I went on to the 5th year to do shorthand-typing with Mrs Riley but can't remember if you did or not. I think we were in the same class in the 4th year and in fact I have a photo of you and a group of other girls that was taken I believe at an excursion to Warwick Castle. My maiden name was Janet Heard (I was the nerdy one at the back) and I also remember your friend Jacqueline Bostock. Memories. Love to hear from you.

Hi folks,

I'm the current network manager at Ridpool School and wonder if any of you could help us.

On the 30th of November Ridpool will be closing for the last time and Reopening as Lea Forest Primary Academy. As a school we want to have a week of celebrations that show our children and parents the history of the school (76 years) Please feel free to send any images, stories or memories to the following email address.

goodbye@ridpool.bham.sch.uk

many thanks

John Croxon
Network Manager
Ridpool Primary School

Hi folks,

I'm the current network manager at Ridpool School and wonder if any of you could help us.

On the 30th of November Ridpool will be closing for the last time and Reopening as Lea Forest Primary Academy. As a school we want to have a week of celebrations that show our children and parents the history of the school (76 years) Unfortunately our school records are limited and we hope that we may find some ex pupils on your forum who have pictures and memories that they are willing to share.

Please feel free to send any images, stories or memories to the following email address.

many thanks

John Croxon
Network Manager
Ridpool Primary School

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister and myself attended Lea village girls school, my sister would have been there the same time as yourself her name is Maureen Preen and her friends were Joan millman Sheila Bar and Gwen Thrasher to mention a few. I also went to Ridpool road school and remember Mr Waite, Mr Parker a Miss head and all the teachers you mention at Lea Village were there when I attended in 1964-68. Angela preen

I remember Graham and Ron Atkinson living in the Meadway in the early fifties. In fact Graham and I used to play football and cricket on the central reservation there and were good pals together with. John Brown and a xxxx Williams when we ten years old . We had the Coronation street party there, but my family moved to Hall Green in 1953 so left it all behind.

angjim, I remember Mr Thorne he came after Mr Gregory who died whilst I was at Ridpool Junior school I remember all the teachers bar Mrs Head was she after 1953

I also remember some of the names you mention only wish I could remember their faces
I think its called old age!! the babby
I remember Mr Gregory and Mr Thorne. I don't remember Miss Head, I must have gone by then. Does anyone have any photo's they can post. I'd love one of those group ones!!! I'm also looking for photographs of Lea Village School, both boys and girls. We were quite a big family, the Proctor's of Kitts Green Road but we are all over the country now.
I do hope someone can help! Thanks

Hi John, I don't know if you are still available, but would you know where I can find copies of old school photographs? All of my family have been to Ridpool Road and Lea Village and would you believe that none of us have a photograph? Probably because we were so poor but I would love to find some now. What a lovely surprise that would be for everyone xxxx

Hi folks,

On the 30th of November Ridpool will be closing for the last time and Reopening as Lea Forest Primary Academy. As a school we want to have a week of celebrations that show our children and parents the history of the school (76 years) Please feel free to send any images, stories or memories to the following email address.

many thanks

John Croxon
Network Manager
Ridpool Primary School
John, I replied earlier without the quote but do you happen to know where I could find copies of old school photographs? Particularly of Ridpool Road and Lea Village? Thanks

Ragga,

I remember a Miss Preddy who taught me at Ridpool in 1964 (aged 9).

She was a wonderful teacher, as was Mr Waite. If it is the same lady, she moved to Bath around '65 to get married and continue teaching down that area.

I seem to recall a class photo from around that time posted either on "Friends Reunited" or on this site somewhere. If I can find the link I will put it on.

Best wishes

Ron
I remember when it was raining Mr Waite would tell us to make sure we ran between the spots!! It always made me laugh!

Please, please, please, could everyone repost their photo's!!! I come from a large family from Kitts Green Road and we all went to Ridpool Road and Lea Village School. Not one photo between all of us but I think that is because we were very poor and probably couldn't afford them. Our school dates would have ranged from 1936 to 1960ish. I would be very grateful.
Thank you xxxxx

Hi, I attended Lea Village Girls School between 1960 and 1964. I remember well all the teachers you mentioned in your posting. Do you remember Miss Beardsmore who taught French? I have 5 older sisters who may have attended while you were there. Our family last name is COLES, we were 12 children and grew up on Foxdale Grove, Lea Village. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of us. I now live in America.

Hi, I am also from a large family that grew up in Lea Village similar to your dates. Our last name is/was COLES. You may have known my older sisters or brothers - as I went to Lea Village Girls School from 1960-1964. Unfortunately, I do not have any school photo's as my family were just too poor to buy them (sadly). I now live in America but would love to hear from any school pals.

I attended both these schools in Lea Hall 1947 to 1953, and 1953
to 1957. Teachers I remember are: Ridpool Road, Miss James,(infants)
(junior) Miss Prewitt,Miss M Jones, Mr Parker, Mr Davis, Mr Waite and Mr Gregory was the Headmaster.

(Lea Village Girls School) Miss Barker the Headmistress,Miss Morgan, Miss Evans, Miss O,Neill, Mrs Docherty,

Do any of you good people out there remember any of these names or have any photos?
Hiya Babby!!! Yes, I remember Miss Jones who married and became Mrs Smith, Mr Waite (my favourite) and Mr Gregory! Then the ladies, loved Miss Evans and Miss O'Neill, scared of Miss Barker and Miss Morgan and Mrs Docherty. We also had a Mrs Twelvetrees for needlework. She measured us all up in first year to make our uniforms, but by the time they were finished, nobody's blouse fitted!!! Got no photo's though unfortunately, we were poor too! Lucky to live in America!! I'm in Dorset. x

Joni age about 12.  Going to school.jpg
Hi, I attended the Lea Village schools: Lea Village Junior School (approx 1956-1960); Lea Village Senior Girls Secondary School (1960-1964). I remember Miss Barker the headmistress; I also remember Miss Josty (or Jostie?) who replaced Miss Barker while I was a student there. I had Miss Morgan who was known for being extremely strict. I had Miss Evans whom I loved. I had Mrs Docherty for English; she was very nice. I also had Mrs. Ross for P.E. I have forgotten some of them but I do remember the ones you mentioned.
I moved out of this area many years ago but I would love to be in contact with any classmates or fellow Lea Villagers.
What was your name Brum Gal? My name is Joni Proctor but I was very quiet in those days because I was almost deaf! I'd love to see some photo's if you have any. I don't, mom was too poor to buy any. Just realised I've got this one that a street photographer took when I was about 11, going back to school after lunch! The badge says 'I like Ike' x

Attachments

• Joni age about 12.  Going to school.jpg
    Joni age about 12. Going to school.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 32
Hello all on this site, my name is Craig Clinton, I found this fascinating site by happy accident (rubbish evening TV & random searching are a rewarding mix !) . I'd like to contribute my memories of Ridpool infants & juniors, I started in the infants in May 1965 about half way thru 2nd year, my teacher was Miss Daw (later Mrs Blake) & the head was the very stern Miss Owen. I then went on to the last year in infants with Mrs Ward as my teacher. I made loads of mates there, names that spring to mind are : Paul Richards, Richard Ansell, Paul Snow, Gary Foster, John Williams, Phillip Griffiths, Clive Hewitt, Kevin Smith, Barry Groombridge, Evelyn Palmer, Elizabeth Byng, Kim Sable, Karen Davies Lorraine Key, Val Richardson Cheryl Freeth, Davina Nash, Susan Moseley Sharon Holden and others. Had a great time there, fondly remember school dinners in the old wooden huts at the top of the junior school playground ( Monday cheese pie put me off cheese until my mid teens !!) . Must have read all of the Ladybird Janet & John books and can distinctly remember singing ' we plough the fields and scatter' during harvest festival assembly. My mom still has a picture of me in the school rose garden (brown polo shirt & blue shorts !!)
Going up to juniors was an adventure, I think my first teacher was a Mrs Webb (or possibly West ?) and the head was Mr Hughes. My second year in juniors was with Mr Bennett (apparently all the mums thought he was a bit tasty !!) Can remember Mr Waite and his afternoon craft activity where we made cardboard tudor houses (lads only, girls did needlework -how times have changed) My third year was a bit different - we had a new teacher - Mr Holloway - bit of a hippy & had some 'radical' ideas about teaching -about this time the head changed to Mr Tibbetts, my last year was my favourite , we has a new teacher - Mrs Hodgson (Carol Ann as she introduced herself) she was brilliant - I think she was my first (and only) crush -her teaching got me thru my 11+ successfully. I left in july 1970 and went on to Central Grammar for boys (five years of hell !!)Good times at Ridpool and I can still remember it all clearly now (22/05/2017)

Found this article about the school being one of the first to provide a restaurant and play centre in WW2 for children of working mothers. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hello all you Brummies were ever you are.Just found this site.Read all the posts but no one as ever mentioned The Lea Village School Pig Club.I was Treasurer from 1952-54. Lived in Easthope Rd went to Ridpool Rd for 4 months in 1949 ,remember Mr Davis(the welsh man)always used the blackboard T ruler instead of the cane.Yes I remember the wooden huts the other side of the allplayground.Made friends with David Siviter who lived across the road from the school.Went up to Lea Village seniors in1950.Mr Cowley was Headmaster.Mr Tickell ,Mr McFarlane Mr ward Mr Upton all good teachers.Played football with Big Ron & brother Graham on Donkeys Hollow also Teddy Thomas ,Harry Ironmonger formed a football team called Hayden Rgs from the croft .The Pig club was still there when I left,We had 4 piglets in Jan till June ,sold them .Bought 4 more till Xmas 2 were Sold & 2 slaughtered.The 2 slaughtered were cut up for Xmas dinner for members and the rest was raffled of between members.Does anyone Remember

I'm glad you bought this thread back to life as it made me re read it, the babby said she remembers mr waite well he was my teacher at ridpool and I must say he was my favourite.
I loved Mr Waite!! When it was raining at home time, he would tell us to run between the spots so we wouldn't get wet!! Hahaha. Tried it!! Didn't work!! Lovely teacher!

dottieau, i think i used to go be in the same class as your sister at lea village, also janet ansell i think she lived over the road from you.
LEN, ron atkinson used to go to school with my brother and his sister jaqualine was in the same class as me.
I remember Janet Ansell! I went out with her brother George for a while! I wonder where they all are now! My sister Lol used to work with Ron Atkinson! I think it was in a biscuit factory!!

I didn,t go to ridpool road schools, i went to lea village from the infants through to the senior (1949-1959) I can remember the teachers you mentioned also a miss Beardsmore and Mrs. Twelvetrees who used to do domestic science also there was a male teacher but i can,t think of his name.
We used to live in the flat above Mrs. Butler, she was a great neighbour.
The only name i seem to remember is bar, but i can,t put a face to it.
Mrs Twelvetrees was our needlework teacher. When we started at Lea Village, we had to make our own school uniform, red and white striped blouse and grey A line skirt! Mrs Twelvetrees measured me up to 28" chest!!!! By the time I had finished it, I couldn't get it on!! Had to make another in my own time!!!

My sister and myself attended Lea village girls school, my sister would have been there the same time as yourself her name is Maureen Preen and her friends were Joan millman Sheila Bar and Gwen Thrasher to mention a few. I also went to Ridpool road school and remember Mr Waite, Mr Parker a Miss head and all the teachers you mention at Lea Village were there when I attended in 1964-68. Angela preen
I can't believe Miss Morgan made head teacher after Miss Barker! I was terrified of her. She was our RE teacher!!

the babby, we moved to rudyard grove in 1969, 8b above the Butlers, when we were there her 2 sons were still living with them, Tony and Phillip. Mr. Bennett and his son was it dougie (the window cleaner) were still there, Eddie cant remember her second name, lived at no 3, lady named lil and her husband lived at no 7b, a mother and daughter lived at no 4 or 4b the rest of us were new comers. but it was like you said it was only a small grove and everyone got on. 3 of my children went to ridpool road and they had there school photos took sitting on a wall by the rose garden. when i was a kid we used to go to ridpool during the summer holidays they had a play scheme going, when i think back to those school holidays the sky was always blue and it seems as if it never rained, happy memories. I always thought Jaquline Atkinson was big rons sister, perhaps its because she came from that side of the village. I used to live on the bank in Lea Hall road, by the library, When i was about 16 i knew a girl in eatsbrooke road, i think her name was Sandra Slatford, she committed suicide it was a shame she was only the same age as me. also i used to go around with jackie Mcgrady, she had 2 sisters, pat and can,t think of the younger ones name, also mary mellabar and pat collins.
Do you remember Kenny Round who also lived on the bank? He had a friend name Brian Cox who nicked my 5/- piece which I won at the Coronation! I never got it back although I saw him years later and asked him about it! He had taken it to the bank to change!! What a waste of a lovely little trophy!!

As I used to live on the corner of Hallmoor Road and Hurstcroft I used to pass this shop every day. I remember around xmas time looking throuigh the window at the Hornby train set that I wanted, that and all the other toys.
That was a fabulous shop
Hi, I attended Lea Village Girls School between 1960 and 1964. I remember well all the teachers you mentioned in your posting. Do you remember Miss Beardsmore who taught French? I have 5 older sisters who may have attended while you were there. Our family last name is COLES, we were 12 children and grew up on Foxdale Grove, Lea Village. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of us. I now live in America.
Miss Beardsmore was our history teacher and Mrs Mills taught geography!! Miss Evans was my favourite as well as the gorgeous Mr Waite!!!

Back