• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

To be honest Lyn, I couldn't comment on the pub itself as it's one the few pubs in Birmingham that I never used, even though I used others nearby on occasion such as the Hay Mills Tavern & the Redhill Tavern

phil whats the name of that pub on the corner of upper trinity street and coventry road..street view shows it closed now...i popped in there some years back on the way to an HS2 meeting and took some inside photos which i posted on the forum but could be lost now... but for the life of me i have forgotton the name..shame as i think it is a georgian pub...

lyn

Last edited:
hi froth...are you sure its a pub or is it just a sign on the wall advertising ansells??

lyn

It appears to have ANSELLS on the board above the window, and also a nice hanging light, I wonder if its an Off Licence. ?

phil whats the name of that pub on the corner of upper trinity street and coventry road..street view shows it closed now...i popped in there some years back on the way to an HS2 meeting and took some inside photos which i posted on the forum but could be lost now... but for the life of me i have forgotton the name..shame as i think it is a georgian pub...

lyn
Lyn, was it the ST. CLEMENTS ARMS.

yes john thats the one...later on i will see if the photos that i posted on the forum are still there if not im pretty sure i still have them so i can repost if needed...thanks john

lyn

If you enlarge the picture it is definitely an offlicence. The other shops identify the place in the directories up to 1968 , as Richard Nellist was a butcher at 460 Birchfield Road, and Harry Paynes repaired shoes at 362 Birchfield Road. this should make the off licence 456. no 456 is listed as Mrs Minnie Jones, beer retailer in 1955 Kellys

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing 456 Birchfield road.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 456 Birchfield road.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 16
Frothy

The pub / outdoor in question was opposite the Birchfield Cinema on Birchfield Rd Perry Barr.

Frothy,

On looking it up I find it is listed in Kelly's at 456 Birchfield road as a beer retailer.

Sorry Mike I didn't see your posts.

Attachments

• Handsworth Birchfield Rd - Bragg rd.JPG
    Handsworth Birchfield Rd - Bragg rd.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
thanks mike and phil and thanks froth...i have the photo phil posted but did not connect the location...dont have the one you posted which is great as it shows the shops on that side of the road...

lyn

@Shortie's post 10th January 2012 ref 277. the Endwood Pub was known as Church Hill House and became the home of William Henry Muntz, (1824-1871) the second son of G.F. Muntz M.P., who was living nearby at Lea Hall. He had married at Handsworth, Alice Parker, (1828-1897) the second daughter of its occupant George Parker on the 2nd September 1846. In 1871, William Henry Muntz was living at Glemore, St Martin, Guernsey and died after falling over a cliff. His wife lost her reason when some fishermen brought his body into the house without warning, but recovered in part after six years and died in 1897 at Tooting Bec and was buried at Handsworth.

I was born at the Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital, and my dad was 'busy' wetting the baby's head in this pub the Stork.
Hi Mindy,
My eldest daughter, Kate, was born in Heathfield Maternity Hospital in October 1951. I remember wetting her head in company with my father in law in the well named Stork Pub. He seemed more excited than I was. Well, at least he bought all the beer.
Old Boy

Hi Mindy,
My eldest daughter, Kate, was born in Heathfield Maternity Hospital in October 1951. I remember wetting her head in company with my father in law in the well named Stork Pub. He seemed more excited than I was. Well, at least he bought all the beer.
Old Boy
What an apt name for a pub. Maybe there should be a site for aptly named pubs? In Cov the Phantom Coach is opposite the crem. The Bar in the theatre used to be called Mad Yoricks. I was in a Dublin Bay pub called the Sheds once, when I asked it was named after the oyster sheds. Also a pub in Skerries called the Stoop Your Head, I banged my head as I entered. Sorry for going off topic.

What an apt name for a pub. Maybe there should be a site for aptly named pubs? In Cov the Phantom Coach is opposite the crem. The Bar in the theatre used to be called Mad Yoricks. I was in a Dublin Bay pub called the Sheds once, when I asked it was named after the oyster sheds. Also a pub in Skerries called the Stoop Your Head, I banged my head as I entered. Sorry for going off topic.
Nico,
a very apt description for a pub is The Crooked House formally the Glynn Arms at Himley.

Hi Stitcher,

I have done what you requested and deleted the duplicated image, but you didn't give the location of the "Anchor Inn" that you posted. For those who might be in the dark it was 35 Benacre Street B5.

View attachment 76441

View attachment 76442
These two are from todays newspaper.
I may be mistaken but I don't think I have ever heard of The Woolpack in Digbeth before, whereabouts was it?
I know the present Horse & Jockey in Sutton but is it on the same site as the original one?
Hi mate just noticed the picture of the Woolpack Pub you have and I think It might be the one in Walsall as Walsall also had an area called Digbeth. And the picture I have of the one in Walsall looks similar.

Attachments

• The Woolpack High Street (Demolished).jpg
    The Woolpack High Street (Demolished).jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 47
I agree that it does look similar kev but the newspaper clipping did not give a location other than Digbeth.

I was in it when I was about 14 i had to ask permission being under age, I stood in the hallway (an exerience) old men in the bar rolled pennies and bottles up the table, then they took dad outside and stood him against the wall and he fell forward then they hung a belt which hung skewiff. Is it still there. It was called the Glynne Arms then.

I was in it when I was about 14 i had to ask permission being under age, I stood in the hallway (an exerience) old men in the bar rolled pennies and bottles up the table, then they took dad outside and stood him against the wall and he fell forward then they hung a belt which hung skewiff. Is it still there. It was called the Glynne Arms then.
Stitcher this was meant to go under the photo of the crooked house. Sorry if it has not.

Back