• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

The land occupied by the Barley Mow,Ward End is a potential site for construction of new house's by a well known building company.

Another one of my locals, this one from the 70's. The corner of Highgate Rd and Larches St in Sparkbrook. Across the road from the Famous Fred's Café on the corner of Kywicks Lane. he of the tea urn that you had to be a brave man to drink from, and dirty sea side post cards on the walls and his famous bad temper.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Highgate Rd The Talbot.jpg
    Sparkbrook Highgate Rd The Talbot.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 65
Two more of my favourite Bowling Greens....and nice boozers...Art Deco period beauties...The Three Magpies and The Baldwin..

Three Magpies history plaque.jpgThree Magpies.jpgBaldwin  1962.jpg

The proposal for the site of the Barley Mow,Ward End,is for its demolition,and 24 houses to be built on the associated land.....they're good at demolishing nice buildings in Brum aren't they.

I am told that the Redhill in Hay Mills as finally been sold and also the St Andrews in Green Lane,Small Heath is closed,what sad depressing places these areas have become.

Two more old locals from the 70's, both in Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook. oddly enough they are both still standing today. Only thing is they are both community centres for non drinking communities. The cottage of Content on the corner of Montpelier Street and the Hereford Arms on the corner of Priestley Rd. When my family lived in the area the only community centre they would have known would have been the local pub, before they were officially converted to just that.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Kyrawick Lane The Hereford.jpg
    Sparkbrook Kyrawick Lane The Hereford.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Sparkbrook Cottage of Content Kyrwicks Lane.jpg
    Sparkbrook Cottage of Content Kyrwicks Lane.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 67
In the past two days I have discovered my great grandfather was landlord of the Old Sun Inn, Coleshill Street, Sutton Coldfield, before moving the The British Oak pub in Highgate. His father, my great great grandfather was landlord of the Duke Inn, Duke Street, Sutton Coldfield, which has remained much as it was in his time.
I too have a g g grandfather who was tenant of the Old Sun Inn. He died there in 1872 and his wife Maria died there as well 2 years later. It was then run by Charles Kent who was the second husband of Maria.

This one still standing, but not sure if it isn't an Islamic centre or summat now....the old Monica in Somerville Road, Small Heath...

Monica Pub Small Heath.jpg

Dennis,

So that's where you used to disappear to on a Sunday afternoon the Monica?

Here's another good old pub, well it used to be in the 60's before it really became an Oddfellows Arms. The three stages of it's life as I remember it. The Oddfellow's Arms Sherlock Street.

Attachments

• Oddfellows.JPG
    Oddfellows.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Highgate Sherlock St  The Oddfellows 1955.jpg
    Highgate Sherlock St The Oddfellows 1955.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 58
  • City Oddfellows Arms Sherlock St.JPG
    City Oddfellows Arms Sherlock St.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 60
Dennis,

So that's where you used to disappear to on a Sunday afternoon the Monica?

Not guilty Phil mate...the Hobmoor nearby was my secret watering hole....before we could use the Richmond, as the gaffer knew my age (dad ratted me up)...it was where I first got bladdered....not pleasant...and greeted with a clip round the ear...

Hobmoor 1985.jpg

Great sequence of 'lives' of the Oddfellows btw...thanks for posting...

Dennis.

I would have thought you would have been round at the Monica sampling the delights of the young artistic terpsichorean ladies.

I think the sign would have been something to do with the builder who used to occupy that part of the Golden Lion building at that time.

Here's one that I have no knowledge of and can't claim to have ever used. Anybody remember it, I have no doubt that it is well gone now. Scotch house on the corner of Aston High Street and Whitehead Rd.

Attachments

• Aston High St Scotch House.jpg
    Aston High St Scotch House.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 78
Not sure about this one, was this The Avenue Hotel that was on Park Rd Aston?

Attachments

• Avenue Hotel.jpg
    Avenue Hotel.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 65
Yes, this was the Avenue corner of Park Rd/Queens Rd, Aston. I was born in Queens Rd in 1930, left in 1935 returned 1943 to 1948 and a final stint in Vicarage Rd 1956 to 1962 and have used that pub many time also went to Aston Hall Rd school with the managers son David Hill, he also had a daughter who I liked by the name of Kathleen . Eric

Last edited:
Thanks for that Eric, I can add that information to my records (not the bit about your girlfriend).

Two pubs which were a gentle 15 minute stroll away from each other, both pubs I knew and used one time or another. They are now both Islamic Charity Foundations, I can't help wondering why they need so many of these places within so close a proximity to each other. Though I'm glad that some of these buildings are getting a new lease of life instead of being demolished. The Avenue on the corner of Second Avenue and Green Lane and The Sampson & Lion on the corner of Yardley Green Rd and Blakeland St

Attachments

• Bordeley Green Avenue Bordesley Green Green Lane.jpg
    Bordeley Green Avenue Bordesley Green Green Lane.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Bordesley Green Sampson & Lion Bordesley Green Yardley Fields Rd.jpg
    Bordesley Green Sampson & Lion Bordesley Green Yardley Fields Rd.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 54
Hi Phil, I remember The Scotch House,I never drank there.It was almost opposite The Orient picture house.Both were demolished in the mid 60s i think.

Phil, forgot to mention the 'missus' at the Avenue had rather grand ideas and had a cocktail bar upstairs called Stellas Bar ( her name), also when they had friends staying over night her son David had to sleep on the billiard table, with a mattress of course which I found amusing. The 'gaffer' also raced greyhounds. Eric

Here's one I need a little help with, "The Plough & Harrow" now the information that I have with the photo says Jiggins Lane, Bartley green. Now the only pub I knew that was in Juggins Lane was and is still "The Cock" which was a pub I loved before they modernised it. So If anybody could me where it was I would be grateful. According to Bartley Green history Association it was on a lane that was once known as Barley Lane, so if anybody knows where that was that would be a great help.

Attachments

• Barntley Green Plough & Harrow Jiggins Lane .jpg
    Barntley Green Plough & Harrow Jiggins Lane .jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 57
Here's one I need a little help with, "The Plough & Harrow" now the information that I have with the photo says Jiggins Lane, Bartley green. Now the only pub I knew that was in Juggins Lane was and is still "The Cock" which was a pub I loved before they modernised it. So If anybody could me where it was I would be grateful. According to Bartley Green history Association it was on a lane that was once known as Barley Lane, so if anybody knows where that was that would be a great help.
Phil, My daughter lives in the old forge, I have never known another pub in Jiggins Laane, other than the Cock.

Hi
Does anyone have any photo's of the Barley Mow in Mere Green Sutton Coldfield I have searched and searched
But no look, as my family ran it in 1900.
Cheers Cath

John

Yes you told me before about your daughter, and I used to drink regularly in the Clock in the 60's every Thursday night when it was a proper pub. As I say the next nearest pub from my sisters house on Woodgate was the Stonehouse which I didn't much like, so I think that this other pub was definitely not open then.

Back