• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
Phil, that was a big empty space devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever, went in there once,never again,the nearest one I used was the California.

Ilived in Bartley Green from 52 to 59, never knew of any pub in Jiggins Lane except the "Cock", in my day over the road from the prefabs. I drank my first pint aged 14yrs in the Stonehouse Pub, the California was infamous in the early sixtys for a rough house.paul

Three incarnations of the Dog & Partridge, Priory Rd, Yardley Wood a pub that I think I only ever used once in my life. The original pub was built in the 1850's when Yardley Wood was but a village. Then because of urban spread during the two world wars the original house was replaced with a new one. It closed for business in 1997 and was turned into a church and is still the Haven Church today.

Attachments

• Yardley Wood Dog & Partridge Priory Rd .jpg
    Yardley Wood Dog & Partridge Priory Rd .jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Dog & Partridge.jpg
    Dog & Partridge.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Priory Rd.JPG
    Priory Rd.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 89
Well contrary to current trends two old pubs close to me have just been refurbed. The Highbury on the Dogpool Lane/ Moor Green Lane junction and the Dogpool, or whatever they will change the name to this time, is due to reopen this month after a make over

Paul

Good news about the Highbury, I have drunk in there quite a few times. My mother and step father were regular in there.

Phil, my son in law lives about 400 yards from the Highbury and every other Sunday when I went for Lunch at my daughters we always went for aThe Local.JPG drink in the Highbury first. Most dissapointed when it closed down. Attached is a painting of the interior with my son in law Alan getting the drinks in. Happy days

Eric

Your son in law would have know my mother and step father as that is the room they used to drink in.

How long ago are we talking about drinking at The Highbury as my uncle used to use it 70s - 80s Fred Timmins he was a great piano player

Carolina

Myself only occasionally (I wasn't on the best of terms with my parents) but they used the pub from roughly the times you mention until last year when they both died.

I was using it with my Son in law every other Sunday lunch time since my Wife died in 1998 until it closed (about 2 years ago). I completed the painting of the Lounge in 2009. There was also a bar with a huge wall TV and possibly an off licence. Eric

There is a Vine in the thread (#470) but this one is the Vine Inn, sorry I don't know which street it was in.
The252520Vine_.jpg

i do phil and it took me 5 years to find this photo of this pub...its the vine inn villa st...was more or less opposite my house..pulled its last pint in november 1978...the old car belonged to kenny and doris rivers..had sons steven and glen..happy days happy memories.

lyn

Last edited:
i do phil and it took me 5 years to find this photo of this pub...its the vine inn villa st...was more or less opposite my house..pulled its last pint in november 1978...the old car belonged to kenny and doris rivers who lived in the house to the right of the pub..had sons steven and glen..happy days happy memories.

lyn
Hi Lyn - I've been looking through some pics which were lost in 2011 and although I searched this Old Pubs thread, I never thought to search elsewhere on the forum. Nice to see your background information about the pub.
Phil

Another possibly lost pic of a crowd outside what appears to be another Vine Inn. Sorry I don't know the location
Vine252048.jpg

I notice the Parson & Clerk on the Chester Road is mentioned in this thread but I can't see any photos.
I can see the pub mentioned in other various threads but no photos, but this one is on the forum server, so here it is to go with all the other pubs.
Parson252025262520Clerk.jpg

Hi Lyn - I've been looking through some pics which were lost in 2011 and although I searched this Old Pubs thread, I never thought to search elsewhere on the forum. Nice to see your background information about the pub.
Phil

no worrys phil..i would rather see a pic posted twice than not at all..keep up the good work:adoration:

lyn

Phil

Your Vine public house at post #1035 was in Nechells at the junction of Francis St and Willis St. They demolished it along with a few houses in the 20's to build some public washing baths.

Phil

Your Vine public house at post #1035 was in Nechells at the junction of Francis St and Willis St. They demolished it along with a few houses in the 20's to build some public washing baths.

thanks phil...i know we discussed this vine pub when looking for my vine pub lol..but for the life of me i just couldnt remember its location...

cheers

lyn

The Fox & Goose Washwood Heath Rd, the only time I ever used this pub was when they had no beer which must have been during a strike by the draymen in the 70's I think. There has been a pub on these crossroads since the late 1600's or so I read the early pub was called the Golden Cross but at sometime the name was changed to the Fox & Goose Hotel with it's home brew & stabling. This in turn was demolished and rebuilt in the early 1900's in a mock Tudor style by architect Holland W Hobbis who normally built churches and schools.

The photos show the Fox & Goose in the late 1800's when Washwood Heath Rd was just a country lane, then a later photo when it was becoming a built up area which couldn't have been long before it was demolished. Then we have a photo of the new build pub and finally a recent photo.

Attachments

• Ward End Fox & Goose.JPG
    Ward End Fox & Goose.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Ward End Fox and Goose.jpg
    Ward End Fox and Goose.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Ward End Fox & Goose (2).jpg
    Ward End Fox & Goose (2).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Foxand Goose 2005.jpg
    Foxand Goose 2005.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 81
Thank you for the Parson and Clark picture....it has brought so many good times to thought of the get togethers l've had with friends and family over the years when l've made a trip home and l hope to have at least on more trip......Brenda

Phil, by a coincidence I came across this picture of the F & G on facebook the other day (I Think) It is a rare photo so I hope whoever posted it does'nt mind me sharing it. The F & G being built.
Terry
Fox and Goose.jpg

I to have many happy memories of walks to the Parson&Clerk, There used to be a Shelter in the parking lot where you could sit outside with your drink, sat there many times with the girl friend when we were out walking. Thankyou for the picture Mohawk.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Sorry this reply is not about pubs but the shop next door I think belong to my ancestors the "Landcastle Family" then later on a Joseph Hampton. Can anyone remember the shop! (sorry this thread was to go with the photo of the Shakespeare Inn on Great Colmore Road)

Regards

Peter Bayliss

R. J .Bradshaws Dinning rooms in Dudley Street used to run by my great, great, great grandmother Elizabeth Bayliss, she was also known as Elizabeth Goldby. She ran the dinning rooms between 1871 till she died in 1881 when her daughter Mary Ann Sparrow ran it for a short while.

Regards

Peter Bayliss

hi bayliss
just clocked your thread this morning and i am wondering my family tree members could be slghtly connected to yours and coinincidence being they was in the same proffesion as my grand fathers brother marrid an E Goldby in those period of time and my cousin is a goldby as he got to the age of consent he changed is surname
and got marrid he is now a high flyer in our society in oxford [ goverment officier ] and it also a number in winson green rd from years ago that they occupeid an house
on winson green rd ; and by coincidence i know personaly a mary anne sparrow from way back ; i am very much intrested in this thread of yours i will go back to my papers and dig more info out have a great day best wishes Astonian;;;

R. J .Bradshaws Dinning rooms in Dudley Street used to run by my great, great, great grandmother Elizabeth Bayliss, she was also known as Elizabeth Goldby. She ran the dinning rooms between 1871 till she died in 1881 when her daughter Mary Ann Sparrow ran it for a short while.

Regards

Peter Bayliss

Have you seen this one then Peter?

Dudley Street Bradshaws dining rooms  1895.jpg

Back