• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
ss~2.jpeg

This is the corner of Granville Street and Broad Street and the pub is called 'The Granville'. It was built in 1923, more recently the pub was re-named as 'The Westward Ho!' but in later years it reverted back to The Granville.View attachment 62573

de.jpeg

This is another shot of The Granville in 1964.
Great views, The Granville was opposite Bush House which lay back from Broad St and was the Housing Dept. offices.

Nico

Since the crest on the Bagot pub sign is the same as that of the Bagot family of Staffordshire who came to England in 1066 with the Norman Conquest I would say that there is a good chance it was named after them. Though what the local connection would be I have no idea.

Nico

I was just reading this about Pype Hayes Hall which explains the connection I was looking for.

"The late owner of the house was Sir Walter Bagot who was elected as an M.P and whose grandson was to become the first Lord Bagot. The family were also to embrace clerical connections when the Rev Walter Bagot became the house owner. He was the intimate friend of the poet William Cowper, who had written extensively to the clergyman, Robert Southsay, the writer, and came to stay at the house in order to study and record Cowpers Letters when he was writing a Biography of the celebrated English poet. The Bagots stayed at The Hall until 1908 when it was sold to James Rollason a local manufacturer who lived there until 1919. In that year it was sold to Birmingham Corporation who converted it into a Convalescent Home, and the grounds into a Public Park. Until the late 1980's Pype Hayes Hall held the distinction of being the oldest lived in house in Erdington".

Debbie Ironmonger.Thats an unusual name.Went to school with an Harry Ironmonger atLea VillageSec Mod in the 50s .Any relation just wondered

Debbie Ironmonger.Thats an unusual name.Went to school with an Harry Ironmonger atLea VillageSec Mod in the 50s .Any relation just wondered
Harry Ironmonger is a second cousin of mine, his great grandfather was my grandmother's brother. Yes, great name- Ironmonger!

Is Harry still alive and does he still live in brum.As a youngster I think he lived in North or South Roundhay by the Glebe

Is Harry still alive and does he still live in brum.As a youngster I think he lived in North or South Roundhay by the Glebe
I never knew Harry or anything about him. My great grandmother died in childbirth and the family went their own ways with my grandmother living with one or another of her older brothers and sisters.

Was heading past Dartmouth Circus, down Aston Road North to check out some old pubs I previously spotted from the bus.

What was this building on the corner of Aston Road North and Aston Brook Street East?
Used by E-Shopfittings now.

Is a caravan park to the right.

According to Kellys it was then in Aston Road, as Aston road north did not start till a few yards further up. It seems to have had several uses, but in 1940 it was William Leslie, physician, and in 1900 Ernest Onesimus Bark, surgeon. Doesn't seem to have ever been a pub. (That is without looking at every year)

This view along Heath Street towards the junction with Winson Green Road shows the Shakespeare Inn on the corner. The date is c1966.
Shakesphere_Inn.jpg

Last edited:
just to confirm that the above photo is of the shakespeare pub taken from heath st...someone i know lived in the house next to the pub when this photo was taken...thanks phil its made her day

lyn

This view along Heath Street towards the junction with Winson Green Road shows the Shakespeare Inn on the corner. The date is c1966.

Phil

I would put this photo in the early 1970's for a couple of reasons one being that the Bedford Skip lorry at the traffic lights is one of ours and we didn't purchase it until 1972 , if it isn't then its a dead ringer and I don't remember any more like it in Brum at that time. The other is Skip lorries came into use for the first time in the early 1970's.

Phil
A number of people have said they always hope to see themselves or a relative in one of the old photos. You've got the next best thing - one of your lorries !

hi mike which photo are you talking about with one of phils lorries oh and which phil??as oldmowhawk is also a phil:rolleyes:

Mike

So far I've spotted my father, my grandmother, and funnily enough the same lorry twice, although this latest one is a much better photo.

I have just seen the photo a the very beginning of this and as I have not read through all the posts am not sure that the query by Stitcher has been answered. They seem to think that the photo is of The Dolphin in Warwick Road. Well if no one else has answered I can tell you it is the original Ring O'Bells in Church Road, Yardley. The building was still there the last time I looked.

Sue

The image at post #1 of this thread is indeed the original Dolphin and I don't think there is any doubt of that. The photo I have posted is of the original Ting O Bells on Church Road Yardley, although the pubs have a similar look there are definate differences. For one the road the Ring O Bells is on has no hill only a slight incline.

Yardley Ring of Bells Church Rd 2.jpg

ggb.jpeg

The Hope and Anchor with Birminghams Big Brum clock in the background. This end of Edmund Street was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Paradise Forum complex.

Stitcher only just noticed this pic, this pub was commonly known to local drinkers as Eli Fletchers , I lived in William St off Broad St and this name came up in adult conversation quite frequently

Back