• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Carol,
Are you thinking of "The Old Royal" in Temple Row ?.There was a very small pub near there known as the "Corner Cupboard",but can't remember exactly where it was...

Ray in Kellys book in the 1940s it was The Caledonian, but after the 60s it was a kinda 'ladies of the night' pub. I just cant remember the name - dont get me wrong I not hankering after the profession, just the name of the pub. lol.....

Ray,

I think you are correct about the Old Royal Hotel it was on the corner of Bradford Passage, it moved down to the Red Lion in Church St and renamed it the Old Royal. The original was replaced by Rackhams in the 60's I believe. The Corner Cupboard was a little walk away on the corner of Union Passage & Union St on the other side of the passage to Kunzles Restaurant and cake shop.

Attachments

• City Union Street[1].jpg
    City Union Street[1].jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 93
  • City Temple Row Ye Olde Royal.jpg
    City Temple Row Ye Olde Royal.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 98
Thanks Phil,I have never seen a photo of the "Corner Cupboard" before,it was very tiny inside. Carol,The Old Royal,was infamous for "ladies of the night",it also had some beautiful oak paneling inside...it was well worth a visit,never took my wife in there though.

Hi Carolina,could you be thinking of The Clarendon which stood on the corner of Temple Row and Temple St.I think a pub called The Sputnik replaced it in the 1960s.

Attachments

• Temple Row and Temple St  1952.jpg
    Temple Row and Temple St 1952.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi carolina,I was out for a drink with a few old Brummie mates yesterday and the general consensus of opinion was that before The Sputnik it was The Nelson Bar.
I hope this rings a bell with you.moss

Hi,
If memory serves, the Nelson was a basement bar near the top of Temple St, on the left. We used to "dive" into the Nelson about 30 years ago, when I had a client round the corner in Waterloo St. It's since had several name changes, I believe. Sputnik could well have been one of them. There's something called "Red - lunch lounge late" on street view there now (2009).
Cheers (as it were)
Stan

I had my first date with my (now) husband at The Clarendon.
No wonder they pulled it down! :black_eyed:

there was another old pub on newcannal street by the traffic lights and fazely street many years ago it was closed down around in the late fortys and
just about the very early 1950.s that was called the ship if i recall it stood empty for donkeys years and later became a shoe ware house just down from the
A,S ware house at the traffic lights of fazely street if any body recalls it
best wishes astonian;;

My old local...sadly gone like so many..the RICHMOND, Stechford...happier times with my old man holding Court as per....

RICHMOND.jpg DSCF2080.JPG Richmong GO.jpg

And what a handsome man he was Dennis. He'd probably be called a "babe magnet" these days.:friendly_wink:

Last edited:
the last time i was in the richmond pub was many years ago when the gaffer of from the coach and horses pub took it over
the brewery tranfered her from the coach and horses on the corner of moseley rd and edward rd she was a large would and she stood for no messing
nor druggs ; [ like myself ] and my late brother inlaw dave and ann is wife used to do pub auctions there ; every week
after the woman left it went down hill ; i beleive the coach and horses is now some kind of welfare centre if i am right as i passed it some months back ;
best wishes astonian;;

Eagle & Tun Banbury Street,that was my Greatgrandad William Jenney's pup ran along with his Father in law Henry Nott Hobday back in the 1800s he also ran The Nelson Tavern 17 Loveday St in 1871/73 . (any one know what part of Loveday St this pub stood, a map would be nice if one could be found)

Last edited:
Anyone remember this old 'un..The Sailor's Return, bottom of Watery Lane? Now a big Halford's Store.

Yes Dennis I remember it well over the road opposite we had Garrison lane Park.The road to the right is Great Barr St up on the left you can see one of Cannings Factories. Dek

Thanks Dennis I have tried to get tho know where the NELSON TAVERN was lcoated for some time, one request on this fantastic forum & you guys come up every time, asI have said on a previous post THAT ONE FOR THE Jenney Family album ;o))

Kieth
It would seem , from these adverts from the birmingham post from 1871-73 , that at the time your ancestor had the Nelson, it was called the Lord Nelson, as is on the map in the previous post

B_P_13_12_1872.jpg

View attachment 81711

B_P__17_4_1873.jpg

i have great memories of the pubs where i lived in buck street.we had the " globe" down the road was the " waggon and horses" coleshill street there was "the rising sun"
"the stone cross"and another one over the road,corner of james watt street and dale end,the name escapes me,but i know of a story about the time just after the war the gaffer had a monkey which went beserke and smashed all the glasses, the good old days

as you lived in Buck Street, can you remember the name of the street at the side of the stone cross? We lived in Lawrence Street and only yesterday were all trying to remember the name of it.

When they developed the Birmingham Battery and the Sainsburys sites, five pubs were demolished on an area of less than 1/2 a square mile. The Dog, the Prince, the Oak, the Plough and Harrow and the White Horse. All great drinking boozers, best pint of Guinness you could get.

Thanks mikejee, yet more Histoty of our Family,I have in my records a coroners report of a death after a visit to THE EAGLE & TUN ,my great grandfather giving evidence as to the deceased condition at the time.
Thanks again (if you find any more I would be very greatfull)

..then they closed my other nearesy and dearest...THE YEW TREE...had a cracking Bowling Green....some good bowlers too....Premier Division stuff....one especially good'un...

Yew Tree.jpg Yew Tree Aerial view 1970.jpg Yew Tree BC 1982ish.jpgDen Yew Tree Club Champ 1970.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis you got anything on "The Blakesley" this was over your side but disappeared a few years ago.Dek

Dek

Dennis will probably be able to tell you all about the pub, all I remember is that they used to do a good dance there on a Saturday night in the early 60's. Here are some photos one as it first was, one when it was renamed the Village Inn, and another of how it looked more recently.

Attachments

• Yardley Blakesley Clements Rd.JPG
    Yardley Blakesley Clements Rd.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Yardley Blakesley Arms  now Village Arms Clements Rd .jpg
    Yardley Blakesley Arms now Village Arms Clements Rd .jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Blakesley Site.JPG
    Blakesley Site.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 60
Yes dek, cant really add anything to Phil's post. Although we lived a mile away near the Richmond, I tended to only use the Blakesley very occasionally, as "her" dad practically lived there, and I never wanted him to find out what I was REALLY like before we got 'cut and carried'...

Here's a recent Bing Map shot showing the remains of the Blakesley on the extreme left, and Blakesley Hall, the area's famous bit of old history...

Blakesley Road.jpg

Back