• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Princip Street...Newtown

I lived in princip street on two seperate occassions, one when I was about 4 years old then we left and came back when i was 11. My parents ran the transport cafe my Dad was known as Big Jim and my mum Mal (marian) ran the kitchen along with a few staff members. One of the ladies who worked for us was called Margaret and had two daughters.
Then there was Christine, Ann and sometimes Maria would do a few shifts. The three of them were sisters if I remember rightly.
There was a massive cellar under the cafe from the pub days and in the garden where the remains of a couple of rooms that used to be a house. In the garden there were also beams left from where the horses were stabled. I was there the night soho pool warehouse burnt down we had to be evacuated. That was a sad sad night as we loved the warehouse and were friendly with the owners.
This was the last time the premises were used as a cafe and it was very sad to see it turned into offices.
The two houses opposite that were lived in one was peggy a lovely lady whose grandchildren would visit on sunday and we would play in the massive car park next door.
The other house was an elderly mother and her adult son can't remember the names but do remember the lady passed on was a sad day indeed.
Does anyone remember the cafe it was called Transport cafe :)
I will dig out some photos tomorow and post them :)
Hi Aezriella,
I lived in the cafe before you it seems. At that time it was The Britannia Cafe. Prior to this it was the Britannia Pub.
My grandparents had the cafe and lived in rooms on the first floor. My Dad and Mum together with my sister lived in a small single storey building behind the main building.
Over the road were the back to backs where I often played with Leslie and Barbara Mobbs, and I remember going to the ABC minors on a Saturday morning with Brian Cox.
There were some characters living in both yards opposite. All the kids were scared of Mrs Brown (In fact most adults were scared of her)
She was Princip Street's very own Ena Sharples, even wore a hair net.
Not much money about but great days !

i was just having a little amble the other day and went down princip st....for any members who may be researching their family history these are the only two remaining houses in the street...number 62 and i presume either 60 or 64...depending on which way the numbers ran.... as i couldnt see a number on the other door what i found amazing is they are sandwiched between factories and still lived in.....not sure but i think princip st is in the gunquarter or at very least just on the edge of it.....

lyn.
Looking at the 1950 Ordnance Survey map, the house on the left is No.62 and the one on the right is No. 61

Hi All,

Does anyone know why Princip Street is so named? In July 1914 Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and his wife were assassinated in Sarajevo. This precipitated the 1st World War. The assassin was a young student named Princip. The street is obviously not named after him but, is there any connection whatsoever?

Old Boy
Princip Street was named after the Princip family, who were local landowners from around the mid-18th century.

(Source: 'Birmingham Street Names' by Joseph McKenna, 1986).

Hi ive just browsed for any pictures of old Princip Street and came across a picture taken in early 1960. I was suprised to see a photo of a young boy standing by the entrance to the back houses.I was born in one of the back houses of Princip street in september 1955 i believe it was 13 back of 57 Princip street.the boy in the picture is probably myself.
Hi, My great grandfather and family lived at 56 Princip St. His name was Thomas Wilkes his wife Alice Wilkes. they had a big family one of which was my father born 1907. My father moved to Australia in 1926. Thomas was a blacksmith involved in making guns. Thomas died in 1933. But Alice still lived there and died in 1969. Do you have any pictures of Princip St at that time? I would much appreciate your help. Thankyou Gary Davies.

Hi, My great grandfather and family lived at 56 Princip St. His name was Thomas Wilkes his wife Alice Wilkes. they had a big family one of which was my father born 1907. My father moved to Australia in 1926. Thomas was a blacksmith involved in making guns. Thomas died in 1933. But Alice still lived there and died in 1969. Do you have any pictures of Princip St at that time? I would much appreciate your help. Thankyou Gary Davies.
there should be one or two photos on this thread gary

lyn

Two aerial views of Princip Street showing No. 56

Attachments

• princip-st-no56-aerial-1951.jpg
    princip-st-no56-aerial-1951.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 18
  • princip-street-no56-aerial-1951.jpg
    princip-street-no56-aerial-1951.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back