• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pretty

W

webbloke

im looking for anyone who remembers skinner lane, and particuly the pretty's, i think it was in aston although im not sure

webby ;)

Hello Webbloke

I looked in my Birmingham Bartholomews 1952. Skinner Lane ran between HUrst Street and Dean Street. Very close to the back to backs in Inge street. Postal Address Birmingham 5.

Is Violet Pretty any relation. I know she lived in Stockland Green before becoming a film star, and changed her name to Ann Haywood?

there was a very very famous voilet pretty who changed her name to anne haywood, it would have been nice! but i doubt very much! :tickedoff:(born in handsworth)

skinner lane is correct though, i did remember our mom saying it was round inge st, there was ernie pretty(or eric) jack pretty,his kids jack,leslie and betty, eric and jack where brothers captured by the japs, but managed to escape(which was a rare thing) ive quite a few pics ill put on at a later date

webby ;)

Sorry I got the name wrong. Close though :)

Love to see your piccys.

I looked at the name on the 1881 census, there were not many Pretty's in Birmingham.

I went to school with Voilet Pretty's brother at Perry common Hastings Road and they lived in Marsh Hill near Stockland Green :) My claim to fame :D

here is apicture of jack pretty(i have more) i believe he was with the first wave(chindits) and is brother was definatly eric, eric recieved a bullet from a jap whilst escaping, which if my memory serves me well had it till he died not long ago. Jack was my grandad.

webby ;)

My cousin was with the Chindits in Burma sadly he was killed in 1944 :'(

Betty Pretty is known as 'Ruth' these days. She is Jack Pretty's daughter and she lives in Acocks Green. Her eldest brother, Jack, is dead; and she has lost contact with her brother, Leslie.

Whilst chatting to Mom she recalled that Violet Pretty(Ann Heywood) may have lived in Pitmaston Road Hall Green or did she attend Pitmaston School?

Hi Fergie, I think Violet Pretty lived in Marsh Lane, Stockland Green. A friend of my husband lived next door to her family.

:)She did Di, I was friends with her brother at school went to their house a couple of times.

I womder whats happened to Webloke who started this thread a couple of years back

Last edited:
I could be totally wrong but I always thought Violet Pretty lived in Bleak Hill Road at the bottom near the junction of Short Heath Road...the old Golden Cross pub. at one time when she attended Fentham Girls School.

Don't remember Roads when you are a kid but it was somewhere Marsh Lane way:)

Yo Alf...close enough Marsh Lane is off Stockland Green just a street or two over from Bleak Hill. Thanks.

My Mom maiden name Jessie Emma Luck was born in Skinner Lane 1889, it used to run into Hurst Street, maybe it still does.

Len it still did in my old Street by Street book 1960s? it crossed Pershore Street a well:)

Last edited:
I was at Canterbury Cross Primary School with a Rod Pretty whose parents ran Wrensons Grocer's on the corner of Birchfield Road and Bragg Road, Perry Barr. They moved to another Wrenson's in Stockland Green in the early 1960's, after which I lost touch. I think Rod's dad's name was Norman.

Big Gee

Len, Skinner Lane ran from 148 Hurst Street to Dean Street.

There is also a Skinner Street, off 181 Bromsgrove Street, both Birmingham.5.

Thanks for all the replies about Skinner Lane, My Mom passed away aged 88yrs young.

Jennyann Violet Pretty went to school with my friends mom, and yes you are right it was Fentham Road School.

JennyAnne there were a family of Pretty's about 25 years ago living in the Flats by Salfor park. Their son John Pretty was a school teacher at Sundridge road. There is a Mr Pretty who has a lot to do with St Marks church Kingstanding. His name is always in the paper when they have church fete's etc. Bye. Jean.

HI THERE ,
As The Name Is,nt A Common Name I Thought , I Thought There Might Be Some Connections With A Name Of Pretty , Which I Seen Last Night Over At Redditch
And It Was The Name For A New Estate Agents Operating Around Redditch With QUITE Afew Boarding Out Side Properties For Sale ,
The Sixty Four Dollar Question , Is There Any Family Connections, One Never Knows
May be Some-One Could Look Into That For Starters

hi webringers

have researched pretty/priddy line

there are links to alvechurch/bradley and stock/feckenham area

1800onwards

regards

worcester

Betty Pretty is known as 'Ruth' these days. She is Jack Pretty's daughter and she lives in Acocks Green. Her eldest brother, Jack, is dead; and she has lost contact with her brother, Leslie.

Hello, I have contact with Betty's younger brother Leslie. I came accross these messages the other day and have spoken to Leslie recently. He has given me details of his parents Gladys and Jack Pretty. Any more information you can give me he would be grateful off. Leslie Pretty senior has a son Leslie Pretty

Look forward to hearing back from you

A leslie pretty lived next dooor to my mother in-law in perry common, I think it sounds like it could be the one mentioned. I worked for him for a short while in the early nineties and could probably locate him if interested.

ETA his last (known to me address) would be 38 maxted road

Back