• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plimmer Billy (William Henry)

It all seems a bit confusing. The birth record for Billy has no mmn which would imply he was illegitimate.
View attachment 195248
I can't find a birth record at the moment for George and the tree suggests their Mother married several year's after thier births.
Whichever tree I look at seems to have a different Father for BIlly. I think it needs a lot more research.
Thanks for that, does the tree show if George had any children ?
Regards Richard

According to 1939 reg George F Plimmer was born 21 Dec 1874 (he was at 141 The broadway on the reg). However there are no births reg for a George F Plimmer in either the last quarter of 1874 nor the first quarter of 1875.

No - several trees don't seem to have gone beyond that. However, I would not be able to see anything about any person alive.
You coud try a search on Ancestry to see if either married. Then check on GRO for any possible births.

No - several trees don't seem to have gone beyond that. However, I would not be able to see anything about any person alive.
You coud try a search on Ancestry to see if either married. Then check on GRO for any possible births.
Ok Thanks, i dought they would still be alive looking at the birth dates, my grandad was born in 1920 but sadly passed away in 1980 aged 60 years also called Billy.
Regards Richard

Yes but i had no idea his name was Arthur has everyone called him Billy or Bill, This means that George was our great grandfather & Billy our great uncle.
Many thanks Richard

I haven't checked any of these details but:
Complicated tree.
Billy Plimmer (1869 - 1929) son of Isabella Plimmer (known as Bella or Billah). Possibly married to a Reuben Dodwell
Siblings/half siblings:
George Frederick (1874 - 1952)
Louisa (1878 - 1963)

George Frederick
probate george 1952.jpg

This George married a Louisa Jordan and had children
Elsie Louisa (1897
Lily Annie (1900
George Frederick (1903
Mabel (1908
Arthur William (1914 - 1981)

Reuben appears to have been the son of Billy's possible stepfather Reuben Dodwell.

Apologies if this is wrong...

As far as I can see William Plimmer, the boxer's only surviving children were 2 daughters (Mabel and Edna), a son (William Henry) died young, and the Arthur William Plimmer mentioned was not his son but his nephew (George's son).

Reuben appears to have been the son of Billy's possible stepfather Reuben Dodwell.

Reuben appears to have been registered as William Henry Reuben Dodwell Plimmer. On the 1871 census he (as Henry) appears to be with a George Plimmer (an uncle ?) listed as his son. Strangely, his mother seems to be living with the Dodwell family - Reuben Dodwell, his wife and their children.

Further to the above I think the George Plimmer, that Henry (Reuben) is with in 1871 is his step grandfather.

When Bilhah married Thomas Yale in 1886 she listed her father as George Plimmer but she seems to have been the illegitimate daughter of his wife, Mary Ann Horton. Listing your step father being not uncommon in this situation.

George Plimmer and Mary Ann Horton had a number of children. Most of them are listed as Plimmer/Horton but luckily one (John) is listed as Plimmer/Walters. With this I was able to find Mary Ann on the 1851 census with her mother and step father (John Walters) and siblings. Also there, listed as as visitor is an Abbah Horton, aged 1.

There doesn't appear to be a birth reg. unfortunately but it seems likely that Abbah is Bilhah, uncommon names can have some strange variations. It is possible that George Plimmer was her father but George and Mary Ann didn't marry until 1852 so probably not.

Correct. Arthur William being our poster Richard's grandfather.
Thanks for all your help on this, it does all seem quite complicated but i know a lot more than i did yesterday, is there any mention of Jack Plimmer in the tree as he is another brother i knew nothing about.

Thanks for all your help on this, it does all seem quite complicated but i know a lot more than i did yesterday, is there any mention of Jack Plimmer in the tree as he is another brother i knew nothing about.
In the absence of any other brother (including various trees on Ancestry) I am wondering if Reuben got called Jack. His first name seems to have been William, he is on a census as Henry (post #51) so it might be possible. Will try digging a bit more later.

In the absence of any other brother (including various trees on Ancestry) I am wondering if Reuben got called Jack. His first name seems to have been William, he is on a census as Henry (post #51) so it might be possible. Will try digging a bit more later.
Thank you

It looks as if Reuben might have been in trouble with the law. So perhaps he changed name for a fresh start.
I can't be certain this is the right person but the age fits (Police record dated 1913 and he was supposedly born in 1867)
1727168074073.png

Back