• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plimmer Billy (William Henry)

0121Tricky

master brummie
Good Afternoon

I believe my great great grandad was William Henry ( Billy ) Plimmer, the first world champion boxer to come from Birmingham, i believe he was born in Willian Henry Street Aston in 1869 hence the name.
I know he won the world championship on 3 occasions in the USA firstly beating american boxer Spider Kelly in the 1890s
When he retired from boxing he came back to the UK & had a shop at 141 The Broadway in Witton, he lived & worked at the shop until his death in 1929 but i have no idea what he sold from the shop.
If anybody knows how to track records of ownership & what the shop sold i would be gratefull, also any old pictures of William Henry Street in Aston when their was still houses on it as now only the pub from these times is still standing.

Last edited:
Here are 4 views of 20-29 William Henry St

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 9
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Nechells William Henry St 20-29.JPG
    Nechells William Henry St 20-29.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 8
On the 1921 census William appears to be in Hove at 52 Waterloo St. He is listed as a Hotel Proprietor. In 1911 he is in Sheffield listed as a Publican, not an uncommon profession for ex-boxers I think.

The George Plimmer at 141 Broadway is his brother I think, both being illegitimate sons of a Bilhah/Bella Plimmer.

1923 Billy Plimmer famous old bantamweight Champion. Now of Sheffield will tell his life story in the Sports Special.
Undefeated in America.

“Billy lived for a number of years in Sheffield. He kept a public House in Lock Street and later was the steward of a club. He was always dapper and neat and it was a matter of regret among Sheffield sportsmen when he returned to Birmingham.”

Last edited:
1923 Billy Plimmer famous old bantamweight Champion. Now of Sheffield will tell his life story in the Sports Special.
Undefeated in America.

Not sure how many parts there are in the life story, but parts 1, 3 to 10, 12, 13 are available on the Newspaper Archive online.
(Star Green Un)

Last edited:
Good Morning
Thanks for all the replies & sorry for the late response as i have had no access to a computer over the weekend
Regards Richard

Are you interested also in Arthur Plimmer of the Broadway around 1937 ? There is an interesting story.
Morning Pedrocut

This is ineresting as i was not aware of George, Billys burial records stat his last addrress as 141 The Broadway & he died at 77 Dudley Rd which i think is an early incarnation of City Hospital.
Would you have any more info on George, i.e date of birth & if he had children ?
I was only aware of Billys brother Ruben.
I would also be intereted in the Archie Plimmer story as never heard of an Archie in the family either.
Regards Richard

On the 1921 census William appears to be in Hove at 52 Waterloo St. He is listed as a Hotel Proprietor. In 1911 he is in Sheffield listed as a Publican, not an uncommon profession for ex-boxers I think.

The George Plimmer at 141 Broadway is his brother I think, both being illegitimate sons of a Bilhah/Bella Plimmer.
Thanks for that, i had heard of a Sheffield connection & London but not Hove, Does it list the hotel name ?

Regards Richard

There are hundreds of references to Billy Plimmer in the newspapers nationwide and can be accessed on the link below, but you will need to subscribe. Sometimes I believe you may be able use for a short time trial. The particular newspaper that Billy told his life story is called the Star Green Un and appears to be a paper issued every Saturday, but not all issues are on the Archive. Part one is on the 27th October 1923 are each part is quite detailed and lengthy. It would be a must for anyone looking into the history of Billy. If you could get a short membership you could easily find the parts and screenshot to read later. The parts are sometimes split over 2 pages.

Morning Pedrocut

This is ineresting as i was not aware of George, Billys burial records stat his last addrress as 141 The Broadway & he died at 77 Dudley Rd which i think is an early incarnation of City Hospital.
Would you have any more info on George, i.e date of birth & if he had children ?
I was only aware of Billys brother Ruben.
I would also be intereted in the Archie Plimmer story as never heard of an Archie in the family either.
Regards Richard
Arthur Plimmer, need some glassses :)

There are hundreds of references to Billy Plimmer in the newspapers nationwide and can be accessed on the link below, but you will need to subscribe. Sometimes I believe you may be able use for a short time trial. The particular newspaper that Billy told his life story is called the Star Green Un and appears to be a paper issued every Saturday, but not all issues are on the Archive. Part one is on the 27th October 1923 are each part is quite detailed and lengthy. It would be a must for anyone looking into the history of Billy. If you could get a short membership you could easily find the parts and screenshot to read later. The parts are sometimes split over 2 pages.

Thanks for that, i will take a look.

August 1937, Evening Despatch. Not sure but cold be related to Billy.

View attachment 195245
Could be as we are the only Plimmer family from the Aston, Witton area that i know too but not heard of an Arthur but before my time, George is the mystery as i was not aware of him, Billy must have lived with his brother in the 20s so any info on George would be appreciated.

Regards Richard

Could be as we are the only Plimmer family from the Aston, Witton area that i know too but not heard of an Arthur but before my time, George is the mystery as i was not aware of him, Billy must have lived with his brother in the 20s so any info on George would be appreciated.

Regards Richard
According to a tree on Ancestry George was his half-brother. However, both gave their Father's name as Henry on their marriage certs.

Interesting, is there any more info on George ?
Regards Richard
It all seems a bit confusing. The birth record for Billy has no mmn which would imply he was illegitimate.
1727087693844.png
I can't find a birth record at the moment for George and the tree suggests their Mother married several years after their births.
Whichever tree I look at seems to have a different Father for BIlly. I think it needs a lot more research.

Last edited:
Back