Pinfolds were places where stray animals could be held until reclaimed on payment of a fine. These were in use from medieval to Victorian times.
Pinfold Street
There was a Pinfold in Pinfold Street, somewhere near Dudley Street. Pinfold Street takes its name from the "pound" or "pinfold" that existed there prior to 1752. There's mention of the Pinfold on the Pinfold Street thread here:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/pinfold-street.45498
Hagley Road (from Showells Dictionary)
There used to be one "of these receptacles for straying animals near to the Plough and Harrow in Hagley Road,
Smithfield (from Showells Dictionary)
" ... a small corner of Smithfield was railed off for the like purpose when the Cattle market was there established. The "Jacob Wilsons" of a previous date held a field under the Lords of the Manor wherein to graze their captured cattle, but one of the Town Criers mortgaged it, and his successors lost their right to the land which was somewhere about Caroline Street"
The Bord - alongside the Ship Inn
The parish pound was once located next to The Ship Inn, Camp Hill. It was known as The Bord.
Great Stone Inn Northfield
There was a 17th century pound adjacent to the inn; a sandstone enclosure where stray animals were kept until their owners paid a fee to get them back. This structure still exists today alongside the Inn.
See this thread here for more details:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/the-great-stone-northfield.40287

South Yardley
Pinfold Green was common land laying between Stockfield Road and Yardley Road at South Yardley. It would have been the site of the local pinfold.
Pinfold Street
There was a Pinfold in Pinfold Street, somewhere near Dudley Street. Pinfold Street takes its name from the "pound" or "pinfold" that existed there prior to 1752. There's mention of the Pinfold on the Pinfold Street thread here:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/pinfold-street.45498
Hagley Road (from Showells Dictionary)
There used to be one "of these receptacles for straying animals near to the Plough and Harrow in Hagley Road,
Smithfield (from Showells Dictionary)
" ... a small corner of Smithfield was railed off for the like purpose when the Cattle market was there established. The "Jacob Wilsons" of a previous date held a field under the Lords of the Manor wherein to graze their captured cattle, but one of the Town Criers mortgaged it, and his successors lost their right to the land which was somewhere about Caroline Street"
The Bord - alongside the Ship Inn
The parish pound was once located next to The Ship Inn, Camp Hill. It was known as The Bord.
Great Stone Inn Northfield
There was a 17th century pound adjacent to the inn; a sandstone enclosure where stray animals were kept until their owners paid a fee to get them back. This structure still exists today alongside the Inn.
See this thread here for more details:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/the-great-stone-northfield.40287

South Yardley
Pinfold Green was common land laying between Stockfield Road and Yardley Road at South Yardley. It would have been the site of the local pinfold.
Last edited: