• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pilots Garage Kyotts Lake Road

brumbird

proper brummie kid
Hello I saw a photo of this garage on a Facebook group dated 1960. Does anyone know the number of the road and any information on dates when it existed. I've had a look at google maps but can't work out where it was. amny thanks karen

Hi there, if you could share the photo with us someone on the site here might be able to help you identify where it was. Thanks, Rob.

Hello I saw a photo of this garage on a Facebook group dated 1960. Does anyone know the number of the road and any information on dates when it existed. I've had a look at google maps but can't work out where it was. amny thanks karen
I worked with a mechanic in Kings Heath way back in 1964 and his brother in law was something to do with that garage, I am sure it was in a prominent place on a corner of a main road.

I had my first motorbike at 16 years old, a BSA Bantam Major in 1962 and that garage was where I filled up with 2 stroke mixture. Not self-service of course. Oil in, petrol in, shake the bike to mix the blend and away you go!

Great memories and a good chip shop almost opposite.

I had my first motorbike at 16 years old, a BSA Bantam Major in 1962 and that garage was where I filled up with 2 stroke mixture. Not self-service of course. Oil in, petrol in, shake the bike to mix the blend and away you go!

Great memories and a good chip shop almost opposite.
My uncle had motor bikes when they lived there think it would have been early 50s for him. My family had good memories of living there.

Shell petrol at 4shillings and 9pence (less than £0.24) per GALLON from one of those pumps with a pipe across the footpath. A Ford 100E, most likely an Anglia, facing away from the camera, and a couple of pints of “stera” (sterilised milk) on the step. My mum used to say it made better rice pud than the pasteurised milk, but my brother and I never liked the taste of tea with it in. Apparently it would keep longer if you hadn’t got a fridge.

What’s the quotation? “The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.” (L. P. Hartley, The Go Between.)

Last edited:
Shell petrol at 4shillings and 9pence (less than £0.24) per GALLON from one of those pumps with a pipe across the footpath. A Ford 100E, most likely an Anglia, facing away from the camera, and a couple of pints of “stera” (sterilised milk) on the step. My mum used to say it made better rice pud than the pasteurised milk, but my brother and I never liked the taste of tea with it in. Apparently it would keep longer if you hadn’t got a fridge.

What’s the quotation? “The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.” (L. P. Hartley, The Go Between.)
Spot on all points John except for:-
a) It was Four and Nine a gallon. (still work in gallons & miles now, multiply litres x five)
b) The stera tasted creamier and didn't cool the tea down (It would last without being refrigerated, good job cause nobody could afford fridges in the fifties. The other milk was called 'Pass.' 2 Pass 1 Stera delivered fresh to your doorstep every morning)

dave

Four shillings and nine pence is four and nine. I was there at the time, two bob a week pocket money! I capitalised GALLONS to emphasise that they were not litres.

Petrol was a just over three shillings when I had my first car. It went up dramatically in the time of the Suez Crisis.
Sterilized mild was a city thing, so as deliveries of fresh milk were always available we has no need for it. Occasionally, when visiting family or friends, we were given sterilized milk - it tasted peculiar.

Similar taste to the stuff I was occasionally forced to drink at school in the winter, which had been deposited outside, frozen , and then unfrozen in front of the heater. Never drank pure milk again, and if it's in tea/coffee. not too much.

The milk we had at school, when subjected to temperatures below freezing point, usually were cold and had a thin ice on top. No attempt was made to thaw it. I and a few others usually drank those which were spare as a result.
Incidentally my favourite glass of milk, always drunk cold, is Channel Island milk - much more creamy. ;)

The milk we had at school, when subjected to temperatures below freezing point, usually were cold and had a thin ice on top. No attempt was made to thaw it. I and a few others usually drank those which were spare as a result.
Incidentally my favourite glass of milk, always drunk cold, is Channel Island milk - much more creamy. ;)
Channel Island milk, ideal for rice puddings, sorry if I divert from the thread.
Bob

A delightful photo, takes me back to 1960, with dad [who used to work at 'The Austin'] filling up the [locally built] A95 at small garages such as this. Regarding the milk, I remember these, I think they had crown bottle tops, and were they also known as 'homogenised' milk?

Back