• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Beeches Secondary School

dimmy,
Yes I am the same age as you & Les !! Les was also a paper boy with me at "Fanshaw's"news agents in Thornbridge Ave, here are some more names that you may recall from your distant past,David Hollond,Brian Greathead,Ronnie Nash,Derek Kibble,Derek Dwelly,Petter West,Brian Persil.I could go on with a few more.I have lived in Brixham for over 50 years now,My wife & I went to Birmingham a couple of months ago to visit the city centre,first time for over fifty years & we were totaly lost !! it has changed beyond recognition but we thought it was very nice but not the Birmingham that we knew "time marches on" I don't think I am a "Brummie" any more.

Thanks Phil, Polly on the Mopstick or weak horses as it was sometimes called we used to play a lot in the evenings alternating with 'Retreat' or Tracking as it was also named.
Mrs Marchant together with daughter Sheila (tall angular girl) lived probably at number 11 which was about the sixth house up on the r/h side. Almost opposite her were
the Richards and half way up on the L/H side were the Solomans. Then we had the Griffins with the Evans just on the loop then the Simms and Reids with the Eatons next door.
The Greens came next then the Rileys and the Gibbs with us Elletts next door. I think it was then the Talbots with the Homers adjacent (who became homeless) then a family named Day with others with whom I never had any contact so wouldn't have known their names anyway. I remember there was a male nurse who lived just by Mrs Marchant (could even have been Mr Marchant) who incised an enormouse boil on my brother's neck, probably about 70 years ago now.

dimmy,
Yes I am the same age as you & Les !! Les was also a paper boy with me at "Fanshaw's"news agents in Thornbridge Ave, here are some more names that you may recall from your distant past,David Hollond,Brian Greathead,Ronnie Nash,Derek Kibble,Derek Dwelly,Petter West,Brian Persil.I could go on with a few more.I have lived in Brixham for over 50 years now,My wife & I went to Birmingham a couple of months ago to visit the city centre,first time for over fifty years & we were totaly lost !! it has changed beyond recognition but we thought it was very nice but not the Birmingham that we knew "time marches on" I don't think I am a "Brummie" any more.

Thanks again oldun, I remember five of those names which proves I've not quite gone yet. Just to put me straight re the shells, were they ever a penny halfpenny as I recall
or were they tuppence as someone else has mentioned in a previous post?

Dimmy,
As far as I can remember the shell's cost a penny halfpenny just for the tea after school hours but I think it was twopence if you stayed later to play games in the gym & there was qute a few children that did stay on mainly if your mother was working on war work & your dad was away in the armed services,I had some good times back then.

Dimmy,
As far as I can remember the shell's cost a penny halfpenny just for the tea after school hours but I think it was twopence if you stayed later to play games in the gym & there was qute a few children that did stay on mainly if your mother was working on war work & your dad was away in the armed services,I had some good times back then.

Thanks Bri I used to use the gym so I must have paid the tuppence. Perhaps there were some occasions when I had to leave early, hence the one and a half - cheers!
P.S. Anyone who gives me a cup of tea and two slices of bread & jam for a penny halfpenny is a true friend. Just because I haven't spoken to you for 70 years doesn't mean
I have fallen out with you even if you did occasionaly forget to remember that I preferred raspberry jam rather than strawberry. Kind regards, Jim (Cyril in the old days).

Last edited:
There is an interesting 1940s pic of the Beeches Estate on the forum click/here showing Hassop Road which I used walk across on my way to the school.

Last edited:
There is an interesting 1940s pic of the Beeches Estate on the forum click/here showing Hassop Road which I used walk across on my way to the school.

The top end of Hassop Road was the community centre where I used to play snooker. Just round the corner in Beeches Road (latterly) was a hairdressers which I believe was
owned by either the wife or sister of Alfie Holder. The pub at the bottom of the road was of course The Beeches which became our watering hole when we were a bit older.

Dimmy,

Thanks Bri but I still have a query; presumably one would surrender one's shell (do you think I might have royal ancestors?) when one received one's bread & jam. How would one be distinguished to gain access to the gym? Was it (a) you were allowed to retain your shell - must have been two sizes - or (b) you were issued with another shell to surrender at the gym? - Just trying to see through the cobwebs - keep smiling Dim Jim Cyril.

Dimmy,
Jim I'm 81 year's old & we are talking about 74 ,73 years ago how do expect me to remember details like was it two shells or one.I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning !!! No Jim joking apart I think it was a small shell for tea & a large shell for tea & gym,keep taking the pills Jim !!
Best wishes Brian

Seeing this school appear in the posts again, can anyone remember during WW2 in the afternoons you bought a seashell for twopence which admitted you to evening Playschool (parents on war work) and you got a big 'dripping' sandwich and a large mug of tea. Then you played a chasing game called Pirates in a very well equipped Gym, wall bars, ropes up to the ceiling, and lots of other equipment. Also a name Pathfinders Club vaguely comes to mind.
I'm on a nostalgia trip tonight - I will stop !

All the present talk about seashells brought back memories and I was about to comment when I noticed I had mentioned it 6 years ago in 2008 as the above quote shows - doesn't time fly !

Pirates was a great game, four mats on the floor, benches arranged, the object not to be tagged by pirates chasing us. If you touched the wooden gym floor you were out, and some strong types climbed the ropes to be 30 foot up near the roof holding on hopefully to stay there throughout the game. Eventually they got tired and with some vigorous rope shaking could be slowly forced down but sometimes dropping some distance. The last 6 kids to evade capture became the pirates in the next game. I notice in 2008 I mentioned a Pathfinders Club, but I can't remember anything about it now, maybe there wasn't a club.

Dimmy,
Jim I'm 81 year's old & we are talking about 74 ,73 years ago how do expect me to remember details like was it two shells or one.I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning !!! No Jim joking apart I think it was a small shell for tea & a large shell for tea & gym,keep taking the pills Jim !!
Best wishes Brian
I think you're pulling my leg about your age otherwise how come you rode the winner of the 3-10 at Carlisle this afternoon? - Namely- One For Harry 9/4 favourite. I think you're probably right about the pills. Can you recommend a particular one? Have had a bad spell of lumbago this week (DIY again as usual) I've had my cocoa and a piece of apple pie so I'm off to bed now. God bless you and yours from me and mine and try to remember your breakfast in the morning. Keep smiling - your old and new friend.

dimmy, I never went to Aldridge Rd School,I went on to Birchfield Rd,Perry Barr,1944-48.I was at Beeches Rd School 1938 -44 & I lived in Holmesfield Rd off Thornbridge Ave
Hi Bri - The fact that you went to Birchfield Road School suggests that you moved from Holmesfield Road when you were 11.
Is this correct, if not how old were you when you did leave the estate? - Lumbago now gone - all the best Jim.

Hi Jim,I went to Birchfield Rd school because the bus fare was paid by the education authority & I didn't have to walk all the way to Aldridge Rd school,I left Holmesfield road when I was called up to do my National Service,age 21yrs, in Jan 1955,I got married in March 1955 & when I was demobed in Jan 1957 we bought a new house up by Barr Beacon & we finaly left Birmingham at Christmas 1962 to move down to Devon were we are still living I feel like an alien now when ever I visit Birmingham everything seems so big & it all moves to fast I thing Iv'e become a country bumkin Jim, Keep taking the pills Jim !! Brian

Hi Bri, when I have the time I intend to clock the mileage from Holmesfield Road and ditto Bradfield Road where I lived and see if I have a case (retrospective) of claiming the cost of some shoe leather from the Education Authority. I'm guessing that you were deferred at 18 due to your apprenticeship and were called up after I was demobbed in July 1954 (I signed on for the extra year) having been conscripted in 1951 at the age of 18. I bought a house in Crome Road so I was not all that far away from you in early adulthood. Question - as a child did you ever go to that Sunday school (corner of Thornbridge Avenue Beeches Road) and what were your pursuits as a teenager on the estate and any close buddies? Keep smiling Jim.

Hi Jim,but didn't every kid on the "Beeches" have to go to that Sunday School ? I certainly did,My pursuits as a teenager were the boy scouts of which I have very happy memories of I didn't leave the scouts untill I went in the army,cycling was my thing aswell,out most weekends either road raceing or just for the pleasure of it & don't forget my bigest hobbie & I bet it was your's aswell GIRLS !!!.My close friends on the Beeches in those days were ,Bryan Greathead,Derek Dwelly,David Holland,Ronnie Nash,Peter West Derek Kibble but I also had quite a few pals at Birchfield Rd School & the Scouts one or two of those mentioned are now dead but I am still in touch with David Holland.
How's the "Lumbago" Jim ? keep taking the pills ?
PS are you still married Jim ?? It will be our 60th next March if we are lucky,Best wishes Jim

Dear Bri - 3 of the brainwashing songs I remember were joy joy my heart is full of joy - I am aitch A pee pee why, repeat;
I know I am I'm sure I am I am aitch A pee pee why. Jesus died for all the children, all the children of the world, red and yellow black and white all are precious in his sight Jesus died for all the children of the world. Do you remember any more?
The only cycling I did was backwards and forwards to school, albeit at lunchtime I used to bike down to the Boars Head, pick up a bag of bets from my Dad then take them to a house bookie (I think his name was Horace Bagshawe or similar) who lived in a road adjacent to Dr Janes surgery in Thornbridge avenue. I then raced home (Bradfield Road) had a quick bite or tin of soup and arrived back at school suitably knackered. That's probably why they elected me school captain!
Did you play football or cricket for Birchfield Road? if you did my apologies for beating you every time, nothing personal.
Seriously though we were pretty good and used to regularly dominate whoever we played. We were brought down to earth however in the final of the Docker shield at the county ground in Aug '48 and were beaten by Tinkers Farm. Trust me to take the most important innings of my cricket career to hit my own wicket. I would love to get hold of a photo of our team if only to show my grandkids, I think that is probably how I came to lodge on to this site in the hope that there are some more of us still alive and kicking who might just happen to have such a photo hidden away in a family album. Never joined the scouts but settled for the wimpy boys brigade and then the ATC. The trumpets were the attractions both times. Late teens, snooker became a passion (Stanleys Kingstanding Rd adjacent Hawthorne Rd and the community hall top of Hassop Rd) while the Beeches and the Drakes Drum were the weekend meeting places for us pretend grown ups. I even used to sing (if you'll pardon the expression) when asked, looking back now I shudder to think what a wally I must have looked.
Lumbago? was getting along fine until I decided to get up the ladder for a bit of winter DIY and I'm now paying for it again.
Never mind perhaps I'll get some sense when I get a bit older. Still married thank god to the best cook in the world. Keep smiling Jim:

Hi Jim,as you were in the B.B.did you ever know Derek Creed a tall lad who lived in Jayshore Ave ??.My uncle was a bookie who lived in Tideswell Rd by Dr Jane's but his name was Jim Sillars ??. I only had a couple of games for the school football team I was never that good to retain a regular place & I hate cricket,I have always followed Aston Villa simply because it was close to Birchfied Rd School,my wifes family were all cricket mad they also had a lot to do with Aston Manor C.C in Church Lane ,Perry Barr.
I do all the cooking a the moment as my wife had a stroke five weeks ago so she can't do much at present we are keeping our fingers crossed that things will improve with time [troube is Jim at our age we a'int got that much time left],My cooking skills have moved on quite a bit from egg & chips now it's amazing what you can do when you have to.
I used to drink in the Drakes Drum & the Beeches,we must know each other Jim I will try to sort out some photo's from that time,look after yourself.Brian

Hi Bri - Can't remember anyone from either the B.B or the ATC. I'm gutted to hear about your wife all I can say is it's a good job she married you and our thoughts are with you both. I should add that I have had AF now for a number of years so I am odds on rather than odds against to experience a similar quirk of fate. My own cooking cv is beans on toast with fresh tomatoes and tinned mackerel in tomato sauce (mashed and microwaved) to make toasted sarnies with sliced tomatoes.
Can you remember the names of any of the previous alluded to girls also any drinking (or otherwise) acquaintances from the Beeches or the Drakes Drum. Unfortunately I don't have any photo's of the old days as they went awol when we moved house a number of years ago. Incidentally we hope to be moving again sometime in January. Will keep you posted, be strong - Jim.

Hi Jim, sorry I haven't replied earlier but I've had a rough couple of weeks with my wife but all is well again now,to answer your question about girls & drinking pals well I've got to think hard to recall names but here is a few,Frances Day,I think she lived by you Jim,Sheila Poynton lived Castleton Rd,Jean & Sheila Ward,sisters lived on the corner of Beeches Rd & Chelmorton Rd, Aurdry Lieghton,Thornbridge Ave, Janet Sillars Tideswell Rd & many more who's faces I can see but can't remember names.Drinking pals not that I could afford to drink much on apprentices money,were Peter West,Brian Greathead & I don't know if you remember Brian Persil a nut case who lived at the bottom of Tideswell Rd & again many others but can't recall their names.
Hope you are keeping well jim,by the way I see you live in Bearwood,My wife used to work in the offices of "The Midland Red" when we first met in 1953,she worked there for a number of years.
Brian

Hi Bri, nearly snap again. I (we) have just had a rough one week (four days in bed + a bottle of cough mixture which has played havoc with my ticker) have to resort to the Doctors tomorrow to try and get some magic pills otherwise I will end up needing an iron lung for sure. I remember the lads names - especially Brian Persil - but I can't put faces to them. The wife of my late brother in law used to work in the Midland Red offices. Don't know her maiden name but her first name was Pat and her married name was Collier. Sadly she lost her husband Terry just this year. Included in my associates on and in the Beeches were Alfie Holder - Norman and Teddy Jewel (dad Fred used to play snooker with us at the community hall) Colin Harrison - Colin Bailey - David Pope - Brian & Ray Taylor - Peter Barber - Kenny Toye - Nicky Baxindale - Gus Cartwright - Jimmy & Tony Roach - Reggie & Gordon Smith - Jimmy Whitmore - Ronnie Hoult - Irene Underhill - Donald Paul - don't know how many are still alive but there you go time waits for no man. All I can hope is that you have a reasonably stable and stress free Christmas and I promise you that I will indeed keep taking the tablets, that's contingent of course on being able to get hold of the right sort.
Kind Regards - Jim.

Only just joined this forum. I was at the school until 1965. 1A, 2A, 3A. My family emigrated to Australia where I stll live. I think it was actually a good school. I remember all those teachers & Mr Edge. I recently contacted Mr Linnel who went to Sydney 1965 just before me. He sent a long, friendly email back.

I think I must've been in the same class as you! I remember this. Also a poem about England's green & grassy acres being completely ruined. My best friend was Gillian Brown. There was also Dorothy Macenzie who was funny and Jeanette McDonald.

Well hello Wendy. Yes we were in the same class and my memory (which isn't what it was!) is that you lived opposite(ish) me in Coleraine Road. Dorothy was amazingly tall, Jeanette had curly hair, and yes I remember Gillian. She went on holiday to Malta and I was so impressed as it sounded so exotic! I think she teamed up with Pauline Luke after you left. How lovely to be in contact with Mr Linnel. He and Mr Everleigh (history) were really good teachers who both emigrated. Nice to hear from you.
Mary

I am posting on here on behalf of my father, Clive Ellingworth, who was at Perry Beeches from 1952 to 1956, (he is now 73). He also has very bad memories of Mr Edge and my sister and I have been aware from a very young age of how badly he treated our father. Apparently Edge singled him out on his first day at Perry Beeches as my father's elder brother hadn't been a model student. My father's card was therefore marked, quite unfairly, from that day forward. Dad has asked me to upload the following photograph, (he is in the front row, first on the right), and to ask if anyone can help him name the other students as he is struggling to remember them all?Perry Beeches circa 1956.jpg

Bit late replying I'm afraid. You call yourself Mary? Is that short for Marilyn? I will be in UK again this year. I've driven down Coleraine Road but never been able to look at what they've done to the field at the back.

hello 333 that is a smashing school photo...hope someone maybe able to help your dad to put names to some of the faces...

all the best

lyn

Hello Wendy, No, my name was Mary Partridge (great at English, rubbish at Maths!) and I went around with Cecelia Pitt, Susan Patrick and Lynne Wilson.If you remember there was also a Pauline Thrush! I haven't been back much to Coleraine Road, only to visit my brother once who still lives there!! I only know they have built houses on our lovely field.

What a coincidence my family (Jennings) lived in Coleraine Road, sadly I don't remember it as we moved when I was two in 1955. I have some photo's of my brothers in the garden. I will check what I have.

This is a photo of my brothers and their pals in the garden at Coleraine Road my brother in the pram will be 69 this year! My eldest brother in the dungarees is 72!

John and Robert in pram.jpg

I am posting on here on behalf of my father, Clive Ellingworth, who was at Perry Beeches from 1952 to 1956, (he is now 73). He also has very bad memories of Mr Edge and my sister and I have been aware from a very young age of how badly he treated our father. Apparently Edge singled him out on his first day at Perry Beeches as my father's elder brother hadn't been a model student. My father's card was therefore marked, quite unfairly, from that day forward. Dad has asked me to upload the following photograph, (he is in the front row, first on the right), and to ask if anyone can help him name the other students as he is struggling to remember them all?View attachment 98023
I can Sympathise as I also suffered at the hands (many times) of the bully of a head. I was good friends with a lad who continually broke the rules but was never punished as he used to help to maintain Mr Edge's car, a standard Vanguard if my memory serves me well. Sorry I can't help with the names of former pupils for the years you mention as I was there from 57 to 60, probably the most traumatic years of my life.

Back