• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paxton Road

Paxtongirl

Brummie babby
Hello everyone, I can’t find an introduction place so hope it’s Ok to mention a few things here?
And make a request if I can - if possible would love to see a photo of the area where I was born mid 1930‘s at 8, Paxton Road Hockley when my parents were living with my grandparents. Visited here about 25 years later but was re-developed.
Soon after I was born our family moved some miles away, but near my husband’s family so have known each other quite a few years. :friendly_wink: He worked in Irving Street early 1950's, then Eachelhurst Road in the 60's (Opposite Cincinnati) and had workmates he can perhaps mention.
Dad was head gardener at M&B Capehill 1945 until retired in 1971, and at one time supervised laying the bowling greens over a wide area. We have fond memories of ‘dear old Brum’ visits to my relations, concerts at the Town Hall etc. The old Bull Ring favourite for shopping.
Bought our first little sailing boat at Bingley Hall boat show, an International Moth made by Midland firm Tangye. Although we live less than an hours drive from Weymouth were not invited to compete in the Olympics :mad: < (more angry than Ben Ainslie). :biggrin: :biggrin:
Paxtongirl

hi paxtongirl and welcome to the forum..thats a lovely first post you have made and very interesting to read that your dad worked for M & B cape hill..just wondering if maybe he took any photos of the brewery as we would love to see them...i am pretty sure that i dont have any of paxton road but i will do a search for you

lyn

paxton_road_corner_lodge_rd_boy.jpgpaxton girl can you confirm that this is a pic of paxton road with lodge road running accross. this is dated 1967..cant quite make out the road sign but i think it is paxton in which case number 8 may well be showing if it was on that side of the road.

lyn

Last edited:
I feel pretty sure this is Paxton Road as I remember it. I went to All Saints school and one of the things we used to love doing was running up the dark, enclosed entry

that served the back doors of the corner building, to the obvious great annoyance of the residents, and emerge a little further up Lodge Road. The entry can be seen

just to the left in Paxton Rd.

Last edited:
According to Kellys and the electoral rolls (both 1965) the numbering went up to 35

hi my grandmother Susan Benton lived in Paxton road with her two daughters Winnie Davies nee Benton and cissie Hines nee Benton Winnie children were Phyllis's Rita and son Alfie you may know them

Hi Mikejee. Thanks for the info. I had assumed that the numbering was 'odd' one side and 'even' on the other but they obviously ran consecutively.

Comb filter.
The order in the electoral rolls is normally the order going up one side and down the other, and , as the order I gave is copied from the rolls, I would have thought that it would have been odd one side, even the other.

hi my grandmother Susan Benton lived in Paxton road with her two daughters Winnie Davies nee Benton and cissie Hines nee Benton Winnie children were Phyllis's Rita and son Alfie you may know them

Hi Ann. I am assuming the above question was directed at me. If not I apologize. I am afraid I do not recognize the surnames Benton or Davies. Despite living in the street for 9 years there were some people I never got to know.

The surnames I do remember are: Mahon, Scandrett, Spear(e)s, Seeley, Courtney, Bott, Chester, O'Sullivan, Tattam, Smith, Rooney, Pedwell, Bruton, Price, Waterhouse, Potter and that's about it. Apologies to David Tattam for misspelling his surname. I never saw it written so had to take a stab.

Last edited:
my house number 27 was towards the end of the block you can see on the picture of paxton road. was across the road from the back entrance to my school all saints.

Hi Ann. I am assuming the above question was directed at me. If not I apologize. I am afraid I do not recognize the surnames Benton or Davies. Despite living in the street for 9 years there were some people I never got to know.

The surnames I do remember are: Mahon, Scandrett, Spear(e)s, Seeley, Courtney, Bott, Chester, O'Sullivan, Tatham, Smith, Rooney, Pedwell, Bruton, Price, Waterhouse, Potter and that's about it.
i remember the tathams, son jonny was the local bully lol
p.s. i'm a smith and so is my dad ken my mum cath sadly no longer with us.

My name is Tony Courtney and I lived at 1/4 Paxton Road from 1943 until 1960, I also remember the Tathams, the dad Abe Tatham`s wife was always known as the Italian woman, I cant remember her first name. I liked Abe Tatham, he had a Ford V8 car and in 1951 when I was 10 years of age he took me along with his family to London in that car to visit the Festival of Britain Exhibition.

In addition to the names that Comb filter remembers I can add a few more, the Timbrells who I think lived at no. 6, I went to Handsworth New Road School with Horace Timbrell, the Bowskills, David Bowskill emigrated to Canada in the 1960s but has a house in Aldridge and I still meet up with him and his sister Carol when he comes over for a visit. I also meet up occasionally with Kenneth Webster who went to live in Crawley, Sussex around 1956 where he still lives, Kenneth lived next door to me at 2/5.
There was also the Taylors, Graham and Michael, their father was the caretaker at All Saints School. Mary and Stephanie Pedwell lived I think at no. 2. I remember the Potters who lived at the first house in the road on the left which I presume was no. 1.

My name is Tony Courtney and I lived at 1/4 Paxton Road from 1943 until 1960, I also remember the Tathams, the dad Abe Tatham`s wife was always known as the Italian woman, I cant remember her first name. I liked Abe Tatham, he had a Ford V8 car and in 1951 when I was 10 years of age he took me along with his family to London in that car to visit the Festival of Britain Exhibition.

hi tony ,,abe was my dad ,real name albert ,he died in 1981,yes mother was Italian she died 2001 .we left Paxton rd in 64 or 65 ,,surname is spelt tattam .I'm still in contact with the burlaces how lived there .and was in contact with the potters till my mom died ,

Hi Tattam,

Sorry but I don't know your first name so am not sure how old you are, if I knew that I could work out whether or not I remember you, I knew your name had been spelt wrong but had to go along with it so people knew who I was talking about, the last time I saw your dad was around 1968, I was driving a lorry and we met by chance somewhere I was delivering steel, coincidence with your dad also being a lorry driver.

I started driving tankers for Shell Mex and BP in 1969 and did so for the next 24 years.

My names david .57 next month .even tho I was 3 1/2-4 years old when left paxton I can remember the lay out of the road and were our house was in the street.even the toilets up the back in the yard .were the Ali family lived.I remember my dad moving them up to Bradford to start a fish chip shop.we drove all night .

Hi David,

That's answered my question then, I am 18 years older than you and left Paxton Road in 1960 so I wouldn't remember you as you were only a baby.

My mom and dad left there in 1964 to live in a maisonette in Unett Street, Hockley.

Where did your family move to after you left Paxton Road ?

Tony.

Hi Tony .I remember my dad was a tanker driver aswell.at esso Bromford. I later became a tanker driver in the army.ha .we moved to shard end .a brand new house with gardens inside toilet .ha and a park right behind us .the potters moved to Erdington. We use to visit each other a lot till Irene died in the 70s..david

Last edited:
Hi David,

That's answered my question then, I am 18 years older than you and left Paxton Road in 1960 so I wouldn't remember you as you were only a baby.

My mom and dad left there in 1964 to live in a maisonette in Unett Street, Hockley.

Where did your family move to after you left Paxton Road ?

Tony.

hi anthony welcome to the forum...just noticed that you moved to unett st....we moved from villa st to uxbridge st in 1972

all the best

lyn

Hi Tony .I remember my dad was a tanker driver aswell.at esso Bromford. I later became a tanker driver in the army.ha .we moved to shard end .a brand new house with gardens inside toilet .ha and a park right behind us .the potters moved to Erdington. We use to visit each other a lot till Irene died in the 70s..david

Hi David,

We were all tanker drivers then, what a coincidence, I don't remember your dad driving tankers, that must have been after I left Paxton Road, what year did he finish driving for Esso.

I can remember he used to park his lorry on the waste ground at the top of Paxton Road, that's where we used to have a communal bonfire every Guy Fawkes night, great times but you would have been too young to remember.

I can remember Irene Potter and her younger brother David. (or was it Michael)

Tony.

I know she had a brother called Derek. He and his family used to visit often .I think the last time I saw him was my mom's funeral ..

Hello tattam. I worked at Esso Bromford for app 12 months in 1968, I worked as a night shift mechanic for Tommy Baumber until moving to Shell mex & BP in 1969.

Hi Tattam,

Sorry but I don't know your first name so am not sure how old you are, if I knew that I could work out whether or not I remember you, I knew your name had been spelt wrong but had to go along with it so people knew who I was talking about, the last time I saw your dad was around 1968, I was driving a lorry and we met by chance somewhere I was delivering steel, coincidence with your dad also being a lorry driver.

I started driving tankers for Shell Mex and BP in 1969 and did so for the next 24 years.
Hello Tony. I also started with SMBP in January 1969 as a Craftsman 1 in the Garage at Kingsbury, took early retirement 26 years later when based at Stanlow.

Hi Anthony
I hope you do not mind me asking a personal question but did your father or mother
had any other named courtneys in birmingham
As i am married into a courtney family have ben now for 40 years
there is eight of them in eight members in this particular family
there parents was annie josephine and John , commly known as jack and a michael courtney

Hi Astonian,

I had a brother and a sister, my brother is dead and all the other Courtney family members live in Ireland which is where my dad came from, we never had any other Courtney family members living in England.

Anthony.

Back