• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Dennis, on post #282 I can't seem to reconcile the two buildings quoted as the first White Horse being the same place. Would there have been three of them do you think, on that corner over time. They are all cracker photo's.

I also agree about the loss of the 'great old buildings' but much needed to be gone. My moans are more related to the fact that the new buildings are merely constructions with no human friendliness to them at all. Vista without comfort...all soon to become old and tardy without ever providing neighbourhood and a home. They are the world over and people from there come to see what we had... only to find it ...gone.

Neither could I Rupert, but the sources seemed impeccable. The Street sign is tantalisingly unreadable to my fading mince pies, but I hoped that some clever swine (could be Canadian even) might shed some light on it? Doesn't suggest Friday or Congreve Street though does it? I expect Phil will know for sure, but I will research further...meanwhile don't go away..

Last edited:
OK. You spotted the deliberate error then? Well done. Of course when I checked Lyn's post, I noted it was the White HOUSE, not the White HORSE. And on further checking there was a White House in old Brickiln Street, which if you look carefully at the Street sign is now bally obvious. Doh! I know. Should have gone to Specsavers...

Last edited:
For orientation purposes, The White House is corner of Staniforth Street and Brickiln Street, somewhere off Lancaster (old Walmer) St, near Gosta Green/Aston University. Map and photos courtesy of Phil from another FH site.

Balloon St Map.jpg

Last edited:
Here are three other pictures of the far corner of Edmund Street in Dennis's second picture ...

There are so many great pictures on this thread that it's a little unfair to single any out for praise. But these three are stunning! I especially like the period advertising posters: "OLD-GOLD Cigarettes 3d per Packet of 10 Sold Everywhere". You can see the bill poster's ladders in the first picture (but perhaps they're just ladders for sale: there are too many of them!). Bill Posters himself is of course nowhere to be seen (he's afraid of being prosecuted View attachment 60294).

[By the way, I've updated the thread index after a (short) period of neglect. Please let me know of any corrections or additions.]

Last edited:
I totally agree, they are magnificent gems of that period. And hats off to you for updating the index. Very useful. Carry on Puffing and Hoarding...

David
Kellys for 1936 shows:
30 White Horse hotel, Harry Billsborough
31 &32 Borgen Henry, tbcnst

33 Bosley
Arth. pie shop
35 Bosley Arth. cafe
36 Bosley Arth. fruitr
Doesn't look much like the other picture of the white Horse
Mike

No it doesn't does it Mike? Hmmm. Under the heading of Congreve Street/Edmund Street, Bosley's Pie shop is also mentioned in dispatches, together with the White Horse, as famous landmarks in Vivian Bird's Treatise too. Many thanks.

Last edited:
I've cropped the two elements. What do you think now? The pub would be the left hand building in the drawing. No, me neither.

White Horse Congreve Street Crop 2.jpg White Horse Edmund St.jpg

Last edited:
How about this old favourite. OOZELLS Street. I used to go and pay my Car Tax somewhere down here? Well it was a bit narrow...

Oozells Street.jpg

Last edited:
And a cracking shot of the juction of Old Meeting Street with Dudley Street, to go with Phil's picture and comments in a previous post (93).

Dudley Street, Smallbrook Road, Worcester St, Pershore Street  1886.jpg

Last edited:
And a cracking shot of the juction of Old Meeting Street with Dudley Street, to go with Phil's picture and comments in a previous post (93).

Old Meeting St certainly belongs on this thread now, attached are photos i took today (poor quality im afraid as they were taken using my phone. Max

Gentlemen,this is an excellent thread and I am sure that it will be interesting to those who use our forum to help with their school and college work.
It is for that reason that I have edited the last few posts,so that instead of personal posts we can keep the thread on topic and of the same high quality.
I hope you understand,Thanks,Alberta.

How many times has it been said " if you have a problem with each other, keep it private and respectful by using the I.M. system. "
The public airing of these views are doing no good whatsoever to yourselves or other members and guests.
Thanks
Jim.

Thank you Alberta.

just catching up with with thread..what brilliant pics are going on...hard to beleive so much has been lost...dennis i love the jackemans walk ones....there is something about them...

lyn

For completeness, there was one other from jakeman's walk that I took, looking in the opposite direction towards the park, but looking along the back of the houses which front onto clevedon road
Mike

s_walk.jpg

Mike

I'm not too sure if this is one of yours that you sent me, because for some reason I have it on a separate file. Anyway it shows the entrance to Jakeman Walk at the junction of Balsall Heath Rd and Clevedon Rd. Its just on the extreme left of the photo next to an off licence if my memory serves me well. I also remember it was quite a creepy place to walk down at night.

Phil

Balsall Heath Rd  Jakeman Walk.jpg

Last edited:
I see my memory is far from good it was next door but one from the outdoor.

Phil

Here’s one that deserves much more prominence due to its significance in Birmingham’s Industrial past. Furnace Lane. The delightful Wendy (whose photos I've nicked) and indomitable Rupert, and John Houghton, no less, plus many other equally deserving friends, have already waxed lyrical about this narrow Street in the Thread below, but I thought it also deserved a mention here. I commend it to the House. Phllis Nicklin’s photos are also included. And as this is not my 'area', a map might complete the story mike?

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9829&highlight=furnace+Lane

Furnace Lane PN 3.jpg Furnace Lane  PN1.jpg Furnace Lane PN 2.jpg Furnace Lane 1966.jpg Furnace Lane 1965.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a map of furnace lane in 1889 as requested. It's a little blurred, but didn't want to use up too much bandwidth
M ike

I thought that Exeter Passage went around the windmill site...but not so and Mikes blue dot on the map is where the windmill was positioned I believe. Long gone by the time of the map. You can see Windmill Street on the map too but I don't think it actually went up as far as the windmill...at least have not seen anything to say that it did.

Here is a map of furnace lane in 1889 as requested. It's a little blurred, but didn't want to use up too much bandwidth
M ike

Well I'll go to the inch of our stairs, it is in three separate parts? Nice map, cheers.

Now another from Phil's old stamping ground, ORCHARD ROAD, Balsall Heath. This looks as if it belongs here on Alleyways, etc. perhaps? Any memories?

Orchard Rd Balsall Heath.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis

Hadn't I included Orchard Rd on here? It ran from Belgrave Rd to Sherbourne Rd in Balsall Heath. It ran at the back of the Moseley Cinema and Belgrave Hotel pub.

If you look over the rooftops you can see Sherbourne Rd school. A dreaded place of most schoolchildren because it housed the Schools dental department. Anybody who ever had any treatment there will remember those horrible mouth clamps and gas administration masks.

Phil

Back