• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

And from Mark Norton's latest 'Birmingham Then & Now' book, a great shot of Speaking Stile Walk (see Posts 229 & 239) before annihilation.

Speaking Stile Walk 1958.jpg

Last edited:
A cracking shot from inside of Colonnade Passage in 1961. Great detail of the Hornby Model Train shop. Bet Lloyd and MotormanMike practically lived there! OK, I did too. Oh well, had to fess up eventually I suppose. Post no 141 also shows 'entrance' photos.

Colonnade Passage 1 .jpg

Last edited:
Taken from "The Birmingham Scrapbook Vol 1"
I thought it was interesting. Hope you can read it Okay

Thanks Frothy. You can never have too much Gullett Info I say. Found this nice old shot of the Gullett in it's later guise of Ashley Passage last week. What would be the rather more salubrious looking building just in shot on the left I wonder? And I wonder what happened to those kids? And even in that poverty ridden district with such a bad reputation, someone still left a bike apparently unattended in the Alley. Wouldn't fancy the chances of the bike being left alone in leafy Edgbaston today, let alone some of the so called poorer areas...how times have changed.

Ashley Passage.jpg

Last edited:
And anyone remember Summer Hill Terrace? Other side of Town to me, but this google photo shows what used to be a pub on the corner, and just up from there out of shot, an old Victorian Building that still stands regally overlooking the main road, that I passed many times and often wondered what it was?

Summer Hill Stores Now.jpg Summer Hill Terrace  the Stores.jpg

Last edited:
Also, over that side of town you have St Helens Passage, which runs off Vittoria St. I,m afraid I dont know anything about it, so I cannot contribute much to this thread on that score. The google picture does'nt show much I'm afraid.

Terry

Also, over that side of town you have St Helens Passage, which runs off Vittoria St. I,m afraid I dont know anything about it, so I cannot contribute much to this thread on that score. The google picture does'nt show much I'm afraid.

Terry

Nice one though terry. All contributions to the collection gratefully received. Cheers.

Not much on Helen's passage. It is not mentioned in Kelly's in 1921, but is mentioned in 1932. It seems to first appear on the electoral rolls in 1927. There is an alley at that position on the 1890 1:2500 OSmap, but it is not named, and it does not seem possible to access the maps on the oldmaps site at present so we cannot see on the 1:500 map if it was known by another name. Searching in google is slightly complicated by the exisenc eof a Helen's passagein Oxford in which Jane Burden (Rosettti's "muse") was born. Other than that the only thing apparently of note about it was the discovery of “birmingham’s biggest cannabis factory” there in 2007
Mike

And anyone remember Summer Hill Terrace? Other side of Town to me, but this google photo shows what used to be a pub on the corner, and just up from there out of shot, an old Victorian Building that still stands regally overlooking the main road, that I passed many times and often wondered what it was?

Hi Dennis I think I know the Building in question, about 15 years ago it was converted into a Hostel for gentlemen who were not doing so well in life for one reason or another. I don,t know if it,s still the same or now has a different use. Dek

Not much on Helen's passage. It is not mentioned in Kelly's in 1921, but is mentioned in 1932. It seems to first appear on the electoral rolls in 1927. There is an alley at that position on the 1890 1:2500 OSmap, but it is not named, and it does not seem possible to access the maps on the oldmaps site at present so we cannot see on the 1:500 map if it was known by another name. Searching in google is slightly complicated by the exisenc eof a Helen's passagein Oxford in which Jane Burden (Rosettti's "muse") was born. Other than that the only thing apparently of note about it was the discovery of “birmingham’s biggest cannabis factory” there in 2007
Mike

An earlier photo of St Helen's Passage taken 1956. It's changed a wee bit!

St Helens Passage.jpg

Last edited:
A puzzler for you mike. This lovely photo of the junction of Mott Street and Hampton Street near Constitution Hill shows the entrance to a Passageway that seems to have a sign that says 'something' Place? It's marked on my 1910 Godfrey map but not named. Have you a map that might put me out of my misery? It looks like a passageway alright...

Hampton Street, 1951  Newtown.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis, well done on finding a picture of St Helens Passage, I really thought one would'nt be found. Shows that you can't underestimate this site.

Terry

well done john..i was just about to get me kellys out to have a look...cracking pic dennis...

lyn

John
Isn't it Brassfounders Piece, or is that a missprint . c 1951 map below

map_c_1951_brassfounders_piece.JPG

Yes it is Piece . See map on modern sale prospectus at https://admin.kingsturge.wai.co.uk/img/commercial_pdf_Henrietta_Street_1.pdf . i assume that the "Piece" name isn't anything to do with one of the definitions given in Wikipedia (Any apparatus used to smoke cannabis, but usually a pipe ). i think it is quite an old term There is a Church Piece shown at https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1131041 and another that has been excavated at tetsworth (https://www.oahs.org.uk/oxo/volumes/1973/hinton1.pdf )
Mike

hi mike..i would think its a misprint and it must be brassfounders place....

lyn

You lot are amazing sleuths. What would we do without you. Brilliant. Many thanks. This one from the same area is also puzzling me, but I fear a little easier for you experts. Gladstone Place.

Gladstone Place Newtown.jpg

Last edited:
Asylum road was between Summer Lane and Newtown Row, close to where Newtown Row changed to High St. Gladstone Place is marked. The wall at the far end is over a culvet for the Hockley Brook.
Mike

map_c_1889_asylim_road_showing_Gladstone_place.jpg

Last edited:
another great pic dennis..asylum road pics are few and far between.....thanks for posting it...

lyn

Keep it up mike. Another old favourite not mentioned on this Thread before as far as I can see. ASHTED PLACE, Prospect Row.

Seen this lovely old photo many times in different books, presumably because of the delighful Ironwork Sign, but never really knew where it was? Probably gone now. But that sign reminds me of the extant "W.Hawkes" one in Deritend. Any chance of it surviving?

Ashted Place Prospect Row 1962.jpg

Last edited:
And maybe something to go with Exeter Passage in post 265, EXETER PLACE. Also off Holloway Head, but I can't see on the map posted of that area

.Exeter place 1966.jpg

Last edited:
One just round the corner from Helen's Passage - REGENT PLACE - a before and after, as it is still there in the Jewellery Quarter, along with REGENT PARADE which is fortuitously off REGENT PLACE

Regent Parade.jpg Regent Place 1953.jpg Regent Place 1956.jpg Regent place Caroline St 2009.jpg

Last edited:
Ashted Place & Exeter Place - if they were not dated at the 1960s one could believe they were from 100 years previous...

There were many of these "Terraces" all over Brum that I am not sure qualify strictly as Alleyways - far too many to feature, but if allowed, this would be my favourite. One because some of my Bevan rellies lived in Guildford Street in the 1840s and two; because I cannot belive there were rag and bone men with Horses still plodding around our Streets in 1968, the year after we were married!! I had a Ford Consul stick change rustbucket fer heaven's sake! Not much faster than dobbin there, but it had a lovely uninterrupted bench style front seat...that you could put all your shopping on dek.

Guildford St .jpg

Last edited:
Ashted Place & Exeter Place - if they were not dated at the 1960s one could believe they were from 100 years previous...

Too true Aidan. And here's another just to show they were about in the 70s too! Although this one looks on its last legs...CARLISLE PLACE, Winston Green (sic). Do you think the careless spelling of Winson Green suggests that maybe they got the date wrong too? I know that Phil and mikejee sometimes think the captions in many of these Brum Picture books are pants.

Carlisle Place 1972.jpg

Last edited:
Back