• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

We had Ingrams on the other side of the family. I'll have a look through my family tree on the census in this era and see if they had any shops.

in that case and i could be wrong i think the people in the shop photo maybe of your ingram side...as brummy lad has suggested can you recall a rose ingram

lyn

Hello. This is my first post. I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. My Nan Thelma James lived with her grandparents (The Mears) From the late 1920s They lived at the back of 150 Park lane. I shouldve listened to my Nan better because I'm sure she said they had a shop a sort of iron mongers? I have a photo of a shop, with edwardian looking family members outside but no idea of dates and it doesn't look like any of the park lane pics i've seen so farand Ive got a feeling the people in the photos may be Ingrams. . Nan talked more and more about Park Lane as she got older. The things I remember her saying Were She went to Burlington Street school. She remembered Bertha the coal lady with her cart. Mr Farmalough (?) Kept his horse in the yard behind her house. She always spoke of the pubs Her Granddad Edward Mears drank in, the Bartans arms and some others. Se talked about the shoe makers with the giant shoes. Old man (something) in the sweet shop telling her and her cousins to clear off and take their rags for a gallop. Sutton street and upper sutton st and parliment street. She worked at Hercules cycles for a time Started at Benton and Stones when she was 14 where she met my Grandad.
My dad lived with his parents in Park lane, almost opposite the Shareholders pub, worked at hercules & benton & stones when we lived in Bracebridge street. Though I was very young, I remember going to a Christmas party at Enots. Had a really great time.

Michael, that’s the unfortunate part of where we are in life, so many so dear to us are passing and those wonderful memories lost!
That is so, so true Richarddye. I just wish my dad had told me about some of his friend, work mates, neighbors & drinking partners in the Shareholders & the Bartons Arms.

That is so, so true Richarddye. I just wish my dad had told me about some of his friend, work mates, neighbors & drinking partners in the Shareholders & the Bartons Arms.
I remember my mom and dad going to the Barton’s with aunts and uncles. They were born on Alfred St. Never paid enough attention to that. I get drubs and drabs from my sister and cousins who are in their 80’s. I agree with you about missing all that. As Bazz said in a post yesterday we can’t turn the clock back unfortunately.
We are trying to tell our children and grandchildren about our growing up, we’ll see!

I remember my mom and dad going to the Barton’s with aunts and uncles. They were born on Alfred St. Never paid enough attention to that. I get drubs and drabs from my sister and cousins who are in their 80’s. I agree with you about missing all that. As Bazz said in a post yesterday we can’t turn the clock back unfortunately.
We are trying to tell our children and grandchildren about our growing up, we’ll see!
I know the feeling Richard. I suddenly got in touch with my sister, only 3 years ago. My dad would not talk about her, & after 62 years of never meeting her, I discovered a few of his secrets. This is one thing I would never do. I always tell youngsters about my early years in life & who my friends & neighbors were & what we did, just to make sure the history of these people is never forgotten.

Right I've had a look at my tree and The Rose that seems to fit is Rose Turton. She married Alfred Henry Ingram in 1885 (he was the first of her 3 husbands. The last husband was 20 odd years her junior and younger than her eldest children.) Alfred appeared on the census as a licenced victualler. He lived with his parents at 500 Dudley Rd. After his marriage records show them to be living in cape hilI. By 1896 They were at 127 Lennox Street. They moved around a lot. I've included a page from A Birmingham trade index from 1883. Many of the Ingram's listed are in my tree. ( I don't know why I didn't twig the connection from the photo.) 1906 he was paying rates on a property in Bell Barn Rd. He passed in 1907. This is family from my Grandads side. They are mentioned in his Memoirs. I'll upload them in instalments tomorrow. I think they'd be best on a kingstanding thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot (29).png
    Screenshot (29).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
My dad lived with his parents in Park lane, almost opposite the Shareholders pub, worked at hercules & benton & stones when we lived in Bracebridge street. Though I was very young, I remember going to a Christmas party at Enots. Had a really great time.
My Nan had a Benton and Stones China tankard. My auntie has it now. I don't know where it came from.

I have checked electoral roles and can only find a MEARS at 148 Park Lane in 1939 (perhaps they moved between record years). The shop appears to be called Rose Ingram, can't find any record for the shop at the moment.
This is defiantly them. Sid James (not 'The' Sid James) was my nans Father, he and his brother married my great grandma and her sister. My Nan and her cousin were 'granny reared' and very close. I'd love to know more about Sid James, I suspect there's some sort of family scandal here. They might have downsided from number 150 (back number 9) Here is a pic of my Nan with her Aunt Myrtle and cousin of the steps at Aston Park.

Attachments

• Nan P with Lorraine and Myrtle on steps of Aston Hall.jpg
    Nan P with Lorraine and Myrtle on steps of Aston Hall.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 22
I know the feeling Richard. I suddenly got in touch with my sister, only 3 years ago. My dad would not talk about her, & after 62 years of never meeting her, I discovered a few of his secrets. This is one thing I would never do. I always tell youngsters about my early years in life & who my friends & neighbors were & what we did, just to make sure the history of these people is never forgotten.
Michael..............This must be in the Aston water! My father had two brothers that he did not talk to for at least 19 years (I was 19, maybe more, when he died and they both showed up they day he died). I never knew why even though my mother lived for another 50 years. I believe my sister did not know either.
I pray that I do not leave that heritage; family is SO important to me! I am blessed with my wife's family, her parents were first generation Italian, my father in law went to the US Naval Academy and was a navel architect and PE.

This is defiantly them. Sid James (not 'The' Sid James) was my nans Father, he and his brother married my great grandma and her sister. My Nan and her cousin were 'granny reared' and very close. I'd love to know more about Sid James, I suspect there's some sort of family scandal here. They might have downsided from number 150 (back number 9) Here is a pic of my Nan with her Aunt Myrtle and cousin of the steps at Aston Park.
Hi Emma, I don't know if you saw this picture, No. 148 would be the shop with the van at the front, in 1939 the shop was run by Edward Mears and was a 'machinery breakers' shop. I am very jealous I have never found a picture of my uncle's shop just across the road No. 143

EDIT: I'm re-checking this I think the shop with the van at the front is either 142a or 144 (used to be Dunn's fruit shop before it became Park Lane Pets). No 148 is definitely on the picture probably 2 doors closer.

ANSWER: No 148 is the right-hand of the 2 houses that appear to have newer brickwork on the front, I don't ever remember shops there, perhaps the brickwork replaced shop fronts? I'm sure someone on here will know.

Attachments

• parklane22.jpg
    parklane22.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi Emma, I don't know if you saw this picture, No. 148 would be the shop with the van at the front, in 1939 the shop was run by Edward Mears and was a 'machinery breakers' shop. I am very jealous I have never found a picture of my uncle's shop just across the road No. 143

EDIT: I'm re-checking this I think the shop with the van at the front is either 142a or 144 (used to be Dunn's fruit shop before it became Park Lane Pets). No 148 is definitely on the picture probably 2 doors closer.

ANSWER: No 148 is the right-hand of the 2 houses that appear to have newer brickwork on the front, I don't ever remember shops there, perhaps the brickwork replaced shop fronts? I'm sure someone on here will know.
Wow! Thanks for that. Lovely picture and some really interesting info.

Emmall.....if you go to page 3 of the section you will find a few more photo's of the Lane...

The new brickwork on some of the houses are probably just repairs, they were never shops in my time living in that area...

Hi All,

It is no secret that I am a retired police officer. Whenever I see Park Lane mentioned it reminds me of an incident in Park Lane which I think I will now share. It is absolutely true

It was about 2.30am and I was walking my beat down Park Lane when suddenly the quiet of the night was disturbed by shouts for help from one of the back houses. I went up the entry and saw a woman and her son and daughter shouting from an upstairs window. I also saw immediately that the house was on fire downstairs and it was too dangerous to enter. Knowing that a ladder was kept in the next entry I went to collect it after asking a neighbour to ring 999 for the Fire Brigade from the telephone box near Aston Cross. (This was before the police carried radios)

I placed the ladder in position and climbed up to help the young lady down. I returned and helped the young man down. I then went back for the mother who was holding a mongrel dog. She refused to come down without the dog (who had alerted them to the fire by barking downstairs) I had no option but to carry the dog down before going back to help the mother.

The Fire Brigade arrived and extinguished the blaze but the house was uninhabitable. Neighbours looked after the family until they could be rehoused the next day. A couple of days later the Chief Superintendent sent for me. He said, "That was good work you did the other night Beresford but I cannot recommend you for an award as you never put yourself into danger. You did not rnter the burning building" I replied "That is true gaffer but have you ever been licked by a grateful dog whilst climbing down a rickety ladder?" I still did not get an award.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
the dog rewarded you with thank.s by the lick he gave you well done sir and i thank you

Last edited:
Right I've had a look at my tree and The Rose that seems to fit is Rose Turton. She married Alfred Henry Ingram in 1885 (he was the first of her 3 husbands. The last husband was 20 odd years her junior and younger than her eldest children.) Alfred appeared on the census as a licenced victualler. He lived with his parents at 500 Dudley Rd. After his marriage records show them to be living in cape hilI. By 1896 They were at 127 Lennox Street. They moved around a lot. I've included a page from A Birmingham trade index from 1883. Many of the Ingram's listed are in my tree. ( I don't know why I didn't twig the connection from the photo.) 1906 he was paying rates on a property in Bell Barn Rd. He passed in 1907. This is family from my Grandads side. They are mentioned in his Memoirs. I'll upload them in instalments tomorrow. I think they'd be best on a kingstanding thread.
Hi - do you have any other names on the Ingram side, i havent got much details on my mothers side, the only names i have is Hilda (my mom), Francis, William, Robert, Edward and Mary? (her siblings) William Henry Ingram and Elizabeth Jane Ingram (Morris) their parents, possibly Stych family. thank you

I've traced my Ingram tree back to royalty (Got to verify a few bits and bobs for be fully certain) I'll delve around now and PM you. Its odd, but on hubbys side There are styche, as you go further back they were stych, and and an unrelated ingram popped up amongst them too.

Her Madge will do. I've had such fun doing the family tree. Some family moved to Australia and I found a police record from one of them in the early 1900's claiming his bike had been stolen. My husbands family also had people who'd moved to Australia. There was a record of one of them being arrested for stealing a bicycle around the same era. I'm enthralled in The mother in laws family ATM who were founders of the first London variety theatres. They were stage managers, set carpenters singers, dancers musicians and composers. I found a recording of a song composted by husbands great great grandfather on youtube called 'E dunno where E are' and His brother (hubbys great great great uncle) assisted in the writing of the lyrics of the Clarke Gable film San Francisco and wrote the lyrics for the song 'In the twi twi light.'

Her Madge will do. I've had such fun doing the family tree. Some family moved to Australia and I found a police record from one of them in the early 1900's claiming his bike had been stolen. My husbands family also had people who'd moved to Australia. There was a record of one of them being arrested for stealing a bicycle around the same era. I'm enthralled in The mother in laws family ATM who were founders of the first London variety theatres. They were stage managers, set carpenters singers, dancers musicians and composers. I found a recording of a song composted by husbands great great grandfather on youtube called 'E dunno where E are' and His brother (hubbys great great great uncle) assisted in the writing of the lyrics of the Clarke Gable film San Francisco and wrote the lyrics for the song 'In the twi twi light.'
Just checked out 'E Dunno where E are' on youtube. It stated it was written by H Wright & composed by E Eplett, which makes you husband's great, great uncle as one of these two gentlemen.

I have that Henry Ingram in my records but as far as I know, he is unconnected to my family although some did live around Lennox Street in the late 19th century.
incidentally I was at school (Burbury Street) with a Stych can’t remember His first name. Also no aristocrats in my family.

Yes MichaelW he's a Fred Eplett, he had 3 wives and lots of children. His daughter Violet sang and danced but died young. Fred Epletts obituary says he went on a train journey shortly after she died and caught a chill. He died 3 weeks after his 'favourite daughter' Freds brother Charles for some reason at some point changed his name from Eplett to Wilmott so its Charles Wilmott credited on his works. MichaelI Do you have Turtons and Harts?

I am doing some map images for Park Lane but have discovered quite a conundrum, on the 1911 census they refer to (old) and (new), by the time the map was printed c1950 they were using 'A'.
Must have been a nightmare for the postman. Interesting trying to fathom it out though.

No. 111 Rhodes family
No. 113 White family
No. 115 Hicken family
No. 117 Hudson family (I assume this is 117A on the map)
No. 117 (old) Hope family
No. 119 Greenwood family (I assume this is 119A on the map)
No. 119 (old) Sloane family
No. 121 Broad family (Court 13 behind)

Fairly straightforward up to this point but then:

No. 121 Laburnam Cottage, Tallis family (probably 121A on the map)
???? Ash Tree House, Lane family
No. 123 Hathaway family
No. 123A
No. 125 (old) Goodman family
Then Barton Street
No. 125 (new) Jones family
No. 127 Langley family

Attachments

• parklane&bartonst.jpg
    parklane&bartonst.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 19
Back